End of factory warranty for 06 TSX - bring in for checkout?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of factory warranty for 06 TSX - bring in for checkout?

Hi,
I'm nearing the 4 year anniversary for my 06 TSX (AT-noNav). Mileage is probably as little lower than average at about 36k. I've followed all the regular service intervals (performed by 2 different Acura dealers). Only major item I can remember being replaced has been breaks (F & R).

I'm in my vehicle inspection period now (goes out until June), and I'm wondering if there's anything to gain by bringing the car in now vs later. My thought was that if they find any issues, there would be a chance it would be something covered under the factory warranty. I guess some questions:

1. What's the likelihood that a warrany item (ie not breaks, tires, etc.) would be close to failing at the 4 yr mark? [I did a look thru older posts, most common issue seemed to be driver door unlock mechanism).

2. Could I request the dealer to do extra checks on the car, to specifically look for potential issues?

3. Would the dealer offer any grace period, where if they found an issue say next month (out of warranty period), they wouldn't charge me for it?

I'm not aware of any current issues with my car (other than maybe it'll need an alignment next time in). I'd just hate to find myself with a repair that, if I had brought my car in 4-6 weeks sooner, I'd have avoided.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
When I had my 06 tsx in for service right before the warranty came to an end they checked over the car. No problems were found-
If you have a good relationship with the dealer they might fix things for you after the warranty expires free under goodwill or at a discounted price. Depends on the dealer.
My warranty expired at 18 months-the mileage was 50,000 then
I now have 101,000+miles with no problems. It is being serviced today-oil/filter change, tire rotation/balance, manual transmission and brake fluids being changed.
I
Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As long as you kept up proper maintenance with the car then you shouldn't have any issues. Your other questions mainly relate to the dealer itself and how they handle business and your relationship with them. If you have a good one then they'll probably back you up a bit more than someone who never has them do anything.

If you want you can take it in to them, ask for a good once over to see if any issues. Probs you may run into with this is that 1) they don't really check anything and say you're fine since you're not having any current probs 2) they say you're fine but really aren't but don't want to cover anything under warranty being so close (some places are shady like this unfortunately) 3) they charge you a horrendous amount for this check up and nothing is wrong, although it could be a good piece of mind.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
At 36K miles, the car is just getting broken in (my 05 is at 119K and wife's 07 is at 87K). It's unlikely you'll have any problems anytime soon (though I find the brake story (that's "brake", the things that stop the car) a little disturbing. You guys drive with one foot on the brake pedal?). I guess what I'm saying is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
it's a car-drive it

I am back from having my 06 serviced. Had the use of a 09 tl w/nav. Put 300+ miles on it. My car had the oil/filter change, tire rotation/balance, pressure bled the ABS and replaced the brake fluid and manual transmission fluid. They hand-washed and vacuumed it. They ordered the new wiper blade replacement (per the TSB). I will get them then next time I go for service (they will be holding on to them for me) Total cost-including tax $86.99
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I am back from having my 06 serviced. Had the use of a 09 tl w/nav. Put 300+ miles on it. My car had the oil/filter change, tire rotation/balance, pressure bled the ABS and replaced the brake fluid and manual transmission fluid. They hand-washed and vacuumed it. They ordered the new wiper blade replacement (per the TSB). I will get them then next time I go for service (they will be holding on to them for me) Total cost-including tax $86.99
wow, did you use any coupons? thats a steal, 86bux.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by eg5
wow, did you use any coupons? thats a steal, 86bux.
I have dealt with this dealership since 2002-bought many vehicles, recommended others and they also bought cars from there. I get good discounts on service-as you can tell. I have become friends with a lot of the employees over the years.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not a bad idea to get a solid once-over before your warranty expires. Have them check all the major stuff (A/C, suspension, brake system, etc). At least it could give you some peace of mind.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided to bite the bullet and schedule my state inspection / end of warranty inspection for tomorrow (warranty expires 3 days later). Service agent understood what I wanted. Not sure if it will be a complimentary inspection, or if it's a $50-$100 line item charge. In that case, might look back and wonder (like getting an extended warranty) to pay money up front in hopes it would result in a warranty repair vs an out of pocket repair.

I'll post a followup on what what they did (if they tell me), and perhaps more importantly, if they charged me anything.

Jeff