Drive belt squeal and auto-tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive belt squeal and auto-tensioner question

2004 TSX KA5AT w/85k miles
Original Owner and live in Texas with a hot and cold climate extremes

I started to hear an intermittent high pitched squeal about 1k miles ago. It is hard to reproduce, but I can hear it sometimes when blipping the throttle. I also hear it now and then when cruising and sometimes when shutting the vehicle off. I have a Comptech exhaust so it is hard to hear but it is definitely there. To be honest it is embarrassing to see people looking at you when it happens. But it is hard to hear in the car unless you listen for it and like I said, it is intermittent, not constant.

It seems to be worse once the car warms up and the cycling of the AC compressor appears to make it happen more often. However, the squeal also happens with the AC off so I do not think it is AC related. At least I am hoping that the AC is not the culprit.

I read some threads and decided to change the drive belt. Also, after referencing my service manual I checked the auto-tensioner and it DOES move about 2-3mm after starting the car. Once I shut it off, the indicator goes back to the normal position. From what the service manual states, "check whether there is a change in the position of the auto-tensioner indicator before starting and after starting the engine." Well there is a 2-3mm change.

So my question is along with the drive belt (38920-RBB-E03), should I change the entire tensioner assembly (31170-PNA-023) or just the idler pulley (31180-PNA-003) and bearing (31185-PNA-003)?

I also read that moda_way had a bad water pump, so I am going to check that when the drive belt is off.

Any other suggestions on what might cause this or does the board think my plan of repair should fix it?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
"Squealing" does sound like a belt. Ever notice it more when turning the wheel at no to slow speed? It's an inexpensive item and easy to replace. Try replacing the belt first, and go for a test drive to see if that alone fixes the noise. If not, then move on to replacing the auto-tensioner.
At about 100K, I replaced both the belt and auto-tensioner w/ Gates. So far so good. The replacement of the auto-tensioner did take some time since it's a cramp space.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem. In my case the belt was slipping due to a bad tensioner that was letting the belt slip on the power steering pump pully. I had to replace the tensioner and the belt.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced my auto-tensioner and serpentine belt about six or eight weeks ago. I didn't have a loud squeal (and I had replaced the belt within the last year), but I felt that the engine could've been quieter, so I was tinkering around in there anyway. I had the same experience with the indicator being out of spec after starting the engine, per the Helms manual. So I went to a local Honda dealership and picked one up that day. It consists of just three bolts to remove and reinstall, plus relieving the tension to remove and reinstall the belt. If you have a helper with the belt, it'll take about 10 less minutes (unless you are the most coordinated person in tight spaces in the world, LOL). All done in 30 min., and I work slowly and clean fastidiously.

It won't hurt anything to replace the tensioner, especially on cars of our age, and it's not too expensive, about $100 or less, especially if you order online (try Honda OEM parts places, too, since they seem to be cheaper for the same parts/part #s). Helms says, "Check whether there is a change in the position of the auto-tensioner indicator before starting the engine and after starting the engine. If there is a change in the position, replace the auto-tensioner." Apparently, you should change the whole assembly.

Last edited by kvan2007; 03-11-2011 at 10:41 AM.