The dreaded windshield crackling noise on 06's

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:34 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The dreaded windshield crackling noise on 06's

I have owned a 06 Black/Parchment 5AT Navi TSX for four days now...and the much talked about crackling noise from the passenger A pillar/Windshield area has shown up. It's very loud when the vehicle goes over bumps or worse, manhole covers on the street. It almost feels like the windsheild will crack under the stress. Pretty much the description provided by other members, @ the link below, applies to my case as well.

Whiskers' "Windshield Noise FAQ": https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20851

Based on the threads I read on this site, I thought acura came out with a fix for this in 04 and so I expected it to be fixed for the 06 models at the very least. I guess not! I was wondering is any of the other 06 owners have experienced this problem. I am planning on visiting my dealer about this tomorrow and I'll post an update, in case anyone else has this problem on their 4 day old car!

Finally, as a new member, I just want to thank everyone for maintaining and contributing to this very helpful website!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've noticed a very slight rattle on my '06 a few times and I believe it's related to the cord coming down from the headliner and into the back of the rear-view mirror. Not sure though. I don't notice it too often and I usually have the stereo on anyway.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

I had the A pillar and Windshield problem too. Visited the dealer 3 times and still not fix. Now rattle from the truck area ! May be I sure have bought an BMW instead.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This has to be in the TSX design because I can't see honda not fixing this problem after 3 model years.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:16 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by batman
This has to be in the TSX design because I can't see honda not fixing this problem after 3 model years.
No rattles or cracking sounds with mine!

Excited
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro

I have an '04 and it was very loud and omnipresent at one time and now it has gone away altogether. Go figure...
Old 12-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Racer

my 05 also had the windshield rattle from day one but it was slight and only can be heard in the cold... its like "tick tick tick" ...everytime you corner a turn or you go over a bump...

i fixed it after one visit by going to the dealer and telling them exactly what the problem is, and how to fix it... they called in the glass company and did that it and most likely re-applied adhesive...etc.

problem went away....after that...

that was it...

most of the time you have to look at the TSB and explain to the dealers exactly what is causing the problem...or else they'll just fix/replace something that isn't causing the problem.... making you go back to visit them again wasting time....
Old 12-27-2005, 02:12 PM
6MT or Death

I have an 06 and the closest thing I've found to a rattle is when I slide out the armest all they way it makes a slight noise if I move it up and down with my hand. Perfect car. Guess I got lucky. (BTW it has 2400 miles on it)
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Advanced

My driver's seat is squeeking, mostly when going through corners. Very annoying. Hope they can fix it. Other than that...I LOVE this car.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
05 TSX Driver

I've got it in my 05, I'm taking it to the dealer.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

I was all set with TSB in hand and the RTV on the shopping list for my '04. Then it went away all by itself after about 7k miles, even in cold weather. Other rattles still exist but they're only minor and unobjectionable to me.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by horsetrdr
I was all set with TSB in hand and the RTV on the shopping list for my '04. Then it went away all by itself after about 7k miles, even in cold weather. Other rattles still exist but they're only minor and unobjectionable to me.
The same thing happened to me!!! After getting royally pissed off at the dealer when after having the car a whole day they told me they couldn't "hear" anything and blah, blah, blah... you know the drill, the windshield cracking eventually went away (fingers crossed & knock-on-wood). I also had the infamous door rattles and they too have subsided quite a bit. Soooooo I guess you could take it to the dealer and hope they fix it & not FU your ride or you can wait for divine intervention and hope that it cures itself. I know it's a bit of a Hobson's Choice but it seems to be working out for some of us. Good luck and in the short term, turn up the stereo.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Pro

P.S. - As I write this it has been raining like a SOB here for the last week+ motivating me to perform another car mod... Goodbye OEM wipers and hello high tech replacements (STBD - still to be determined). Any real life experiences with better wipers would be most welcomed. Sorry, don't mean to hijack a thread and yes I've done a site search.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced

3 week old 2006 TSX with no rattles and no problems.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
7th Gear

I have actually been thinking about waiting a while before I take this to the dealer. Maybe the noise will go away by itself.

Here's to hoping!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
9th Gear

Check This Out!!!!

My TSX developed a weird noise that sounds like the description on all these
Posts.................

Well this morning I heard same and all I can say it is loud and happens when
going over bumps....

I cannot believe how loud it was...!

Fix, You are not going to believe this but you might want to check all your Heater /A/C vents adjusters, The Plastic piece, with the chrome between, looks as if it is made of 3 pieces..
When I applied pressure to the top and bottom of this part I coud hear this egg carton twisting sound just like going over bumps, but not as loud.

It is amazing how one part can create so much noise as it transmits in your car, Again, I thought my windshield was going to crack!

So I would suggest squeesing that piece on all your vents one at a time and listen for the sound as described...When you do, All I did was squeez the top and bottom adjuster with 2 fingers and sound is now gone!!!!!!!
I assume the part is probably made in at lease 2 pieces..

I hope this helps and if it does for you pass the word!!!!

Bob
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoffy5
My TSX developed a weird noise that sounds like the description on all these
Posts.................

Well this morning I heard same and all I can say it is loud and happens when
going over bumps....

I cannot believe how loud it was...!

Fix, You are not going to believe this but you might want to check all your Heater /A/C vents adjusters, The Plastic piece, with the chrome between, looks as if it is made of 3 pieces..
When I applied pressure to the top and bottom of this part I coud hear this egg carton twisting sound just like going over bumps, but not as loud.

It is amazing how one part can create so much noise as it transmits in your car, Again, I thought my windshield was going to crack!

So I would suggest squeesing that piece on all your vents one at a time and listen for the sound as described...When you do, All I did was squeez the top and bottom adjuster with 2 fingers and sound is now gone!!!!!!!
I assume the part is probably made in at lease 2 pieces..

I hope this helps and if it does for you pass the word!!!!

Bob
You described the sound perfectly. I do hear that "...egg carton twisting sound..." whenever I drive over pretty bumpy road.

I will do what you did and see what happens. Other then this noise, my 06 TSX has been very good. It is giving me 29 mpg (city/highway) over 2000 miles of driving.

I hope that your solution works for me.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
9th Gear

LET ME know!

Originally Posted by desktop
You described the sound perfectly. I do hear that "...egg carton twisting sound..." whenever I drive over pretty bumpy road.

I will do what you did and see what happens. Other then this noise, my 06 TSX has been very good. It is giving me 29 mpg (city/highway) over 2000 miles of driving.

I hope that your solution works for me.
Thanks in advance!

I have an 05, TSX, Nav, Carbon Pearl with 450 miles...It has been quiet and trouble free so far except the noise I mentioned. I hope this does the fix as it has for me!!!

This almost sounds to good to be true but it is a Fix! If the sound returns
I will have the dealer order me a new adjuster!

Bob
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NewbieSid
I have owned a 06 Black/Parchment 5AT Navi TSX for four days now...and the much talked about crackling noise from the passenger A pillar/Windshield area has shown up. It's very loud when the vehicle goes over bumps or worse, manhole covers on the street. It almost feels like the windsheild will crack under the stress. Pretty much the description provided by other members, @ the link below, applies to my case as well.

Whiskers' "Windshield Noise FAQ": https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20851

Based on the threads I read on this site, I thought acura came out with a fix for this in 04 and so I expected it to be fixed for the 06 models at the very least. I guess not! I was wondering is any of the other 06 owners have experienced this problem. I am planning on visiting my dealer about this tomorrow and I'll post an update, in case anyone else has this problem on their 4 day old car!

Finally, as a new member, I just want to thank everyone for maintaining and contributing to this very helpful website!
Just wondering if you were able to bring your '06 back to the dealer for this issue? I, too, have had my '06 for almost 4 weeks now, and my car rattles and creaks ALL OVER. It's in the driver's door, the middle console, the windshield, somewhere in the dash... it's probably also in the passenger door, but I don't sit over on that side to listen to it. I have to go back to the dealer tomorrow to deal with getting another temporary tag, so I am going to tell them about it, but the rattles are driving me crazy!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
7th Gear

I don't have any other issues other than the one mentioned in this thread (Till now anyway.) I am sorry to hear about you issues with the rattles in your new car. I hope they will be resolved.

Regarding the winshield rattle, however, I did take it to the dealer and he took out the inside trim in the passenger side A pillar and inserted some insulation. I don't think that it fixed the issue, because I was able to hear the noise soon after. However, it's been unusually wet and warm the last couple of weeks and I only hear it occasionally..over very bad surfaces...so I think I am going to wait some more. Also, I got winter tires installed so I think the higher aspect ratio is 'cushioning' the car somewhat (205/60R16 winters as opposed to stock 215/50R17). That's just my opinion. We'll see when I switch back to all seasons in the summer.

Other than that I still love my car! I am dying to wash it myself when the weather gets warmer.

Cheers!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:37 PM
10th Gear

I have so many rattles and cracking noises in my 2005 TSX. The windshield makes a cracking noise everytime I ride on a bumpy road, my steering wheel rattles, and now I have a clicking noise from the rear windshield. I miss my Honda...damn taxi ran into it and totalled it.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Instructor

The only way to fix that winshield creaking noise is to replace the whole windshield

I have it in my 05. I took it to dealer. They knew exactly what it was. Told me that they order the windshield. Called me after about 10 days and gave me a loaner and replace it under warranty.

The noise is completely gone.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:09 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by julyccc
The only way to fix that winshield creaking noise is to replace the whole windshield

I have it in my 05. I took it to dealer. They knew exactly what it was. Told me that they order the windshield. Called me after about 10 days and gave me a loaner and replace it under warranty.

The noise is completely gone.
Do you know what the noise was? My dealer put some lubricant on it thinking it would solve the problem but it hasn't. In addition to this noise, I now have another noise from the back of my car when I hit bumps or make sharp turns.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aruna
Do you know what the noise was? My dealer put some lubricant on it thinking it would solve the problem but it hasn't. In addition to this noise, I now have another noise from the back of my car when I hit bumps or make sharp turns.

The noise is coming from the passenger side corner where the windshield and dash board meets.

it is coming from the windshield molding. it sounds like windshield cracking/ creaking. like noise from a bad speaker. or egg carton twisting sound like other member describe

the dealer told me that the molding is not seeding completely when they assemble it at the factory.

you have to insist on replacing the windshield. if they put lube on it is going to come back.

you will also notice that when it rains, the noise will go away for a while. and come back when it is dry and cold
Old 02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Maybe not....

Originally Posted by russduck
3 week old 2006 TSX with no rattles and no problems.

My windshield is creaking now- thought it was rocks off of big trucks hitting the glass. Not sure what to make of it. Bad design somewhere.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Last weekend when there were snow and later on it melted and froze all over my car, TSX 06., I drove with a shield of ice all over my windshield. What I noticed was that, I heard much crackling noise (not loud) as if the shield of ice on my windshield was vibrating with my windshield.

I now know for sure that like others have mentioned the windshield on TSX is not properly installed. I will mention this to my dealer and, hopefully, Acura would accepts this problem as an ongoing issue since 04 TSX.