Does the TSX have an audio problem? Speakers rattle.. etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does the TSX have an audio problem? Speakers rattle.. etc

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e6079/0

"Rattling Speakers is why I haven't purchased the TSX yet. I have driven three so far and all had very disappointing sound - even at medium volumes. I'd gladly trade their 360-watt crappy sound for 80 watts of premium sound. I am guessing, and I am not alone on this, that there are three problems with the system. First, the speakers are very cheap - made of paper, I think. Second, the door mounting is inadequate. Third, there is a plastic sheeting inside the door that rattles when the sound comes out of the speakers. Several people have mentioned that you could coat the inside of the door with Dynamat (a sound absorbing material), but that's really a job for an installer. The consensus is, unfortunately, that the TSX sound system is a big, big disappointment. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they do with the 2004 TL."

Can anyone tell me more about this?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
i upgraded all 4 door speakers and 6x9's then put some dynomat in between the doors and speaker spacers...much better sound...i think it sounds much cleaner and crispier than the TL...my bro-in-law who owns an 06' TL agrees
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM
styling on you

Did you experience the problem listed in the original post though? Would your speakers rattle and would your rear window shake?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my rear speakers tend to pop when the bass hits at +1 bass at 25 volume with the windows open how do i stop that it makes me look bad
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 PM
05' NHB TSX

My Passanger side Rear Deck speakers kept popping with any + bass and vol above 25, even with the windows close. I had it replaced 3 times under warranty but it came back within a few days or it was there as soon as it was repalced. I got fed up and put in some Alpine Type-S and haven't had any problems since then.

Rest of the speakers sound right. No windows or speakers rattle. There is a slight rattle from the passanger side door but its not from the speakers themselves. There is a TSB out for it so most dealers will be able to fix it. HOWEVER I don't want the dealer opening up any door panels so I will live with the rattle.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Did you experience the problem listed in the original post though? Would your speakers rattle and would your rear window shake?
i can't say that i did....for some reason i thought that the sound in my '06 sounded slightly better than my '04(when both stock)...but i had no rattles in both...i'm using infinity 6.5's on the doors & alpine type-s 6x9's now with factory amp...the sound(to me) is much more crispy and more clear vs. stock...not necesserally louder but significally better...oh and my settings are...treble:5 and bass:4....
Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

i dont have any problems with my speakers......i have static only when my ipod is connected but thats my ipods fault as i get static from the ipod headphones too. THe tsx speakers is one of the best ive been in. Its very clear and i dont have any rattles
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are accustomed to premium sound then you will most likely be disappointed with the TSX. To me, the sound was just OK. I upgraded the OEM speakers to Avincars and I think its a significant improvement. The sound is much clearer.

There have been reports of a buzzing coming from the door speakers. Acura came out with a TSB to fix the problem. Check the FAQ section for the TSB.

Adding dynamat, or any good sound deadening, will improve the sound and make your TSX quieter to outside noise in the process. Its not that difficult to do it yourself and any competent install shop ought to be able to do it for you as well.

There is a lot more info on this in the Audio & Video section if you search for it.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
styling on you

Thanks guys. So let me get this clear, there WAS a problem, but there was a TSB out to fix it and now everythings good right?

Also jlukja do you do audio installs? Just curious.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks guys. So let me get this clear, there WAS a problem, but there was a TSB out to fix it and now everythings good right?

Also jlukja do you do audio installs? Just curious.
I did my own speakers which was the first audio install that I've ever done. There is a thread somewhere around here about good audio installers in So Cal. FWIW, one that was recommended to me by more than one person is Competition Soundworks in Artesia.

The TSB addressed a common problem of buzzing in the door speakers. Some folks who get subs find that the rear deck rattles and need to add dynamat to fix it. I never had the buzzing problem to begin with.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Advanced

the TSX sound system BLOWS. the rear 6x9's crackle and pop at loud volumes. wtf honda?!? premium sound my ass.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Do what I did... get a subwoofer and another amp ... disconnect the rear 6x9s!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Pro

my driver's side front and passenger side speakers buzz. So does the back deck.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:00 AM
6MT or Death

None of my speakers buzz or pop unless I push them beyond a reasonable point. For a stock system it has quite good bass response and clarity for the average person. It's not a performance stereo though so when pushed to that point it will respond as it should.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pbjpb
the TSX sound system BLOWS. the rear 6x9's crackle and pop at loud volumes. wtf honda?!? premium sound my ass.
I replaced my rear 6x9's w/ a pair of low level Boston's I had laying around. The factory speakers used to give me a headache, the Boston's (which I've really never liked), sound much better. I do get buzzing from the rear deck now however. It doesn't bother me that much but my back seat passengers always comment on it.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I put very little dynamat in a couple of key areas, including the middle of the rear deck. I don't think it was the metal vibrating so much as the center brake light. It won't vibrate now.

But the stock speakers are not so good, and the bass they play is real loose and excessive in the upper frequencies.

But most stock systems aren't so good, even ones touted as "premium", so it's not like the TSX's is crap and everyone else has great sound. It's still one of the better stock systems, and surprisingly good with a better set of speakers.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced

"Rattling Speakers is why I haven't purchased the TSX yet. I have driven three so far and all had very disappointing sound - even at medium volumes. I'd gladly trade their 360-watt crappy sound for 80 watts of premium sound. I am guessing, and I am not alone on this, that there are three problems with the system. First, the speakers are very cheap - made of paper, I think. Second, the door mounting is inadequate. Third, there is a plastic sheeting inside the door that rattles when the sound comes out of the speakers. Several people have mentioned that you could coat the inside of the door with Dynamat (a sound absorbing material), but that's really a job for an installer. The consensus is, unfortunately, that the TSX sound system is a big, big disappointment. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they do with the 2004 TL."

I think you pretty much nailed it. My speakers do not actually "rattle" from driving, however there is no question that some good music at even moderate levels easily push the door speakers to the limit and beyond.

The TSX does have a seperate amp (a cheapy) and I think the first audio upgrade of anyone should be to replace the speakers, starting with the front doors.

I need to put my money where my mouth is and do exactly that. So far tires/wheels and suspension have been my priority. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:45 PM
my acura sanctuary

My opinion is that rattling speakers are not the issue on the TSX. the stock speakers when turned up (to which number depends on source :FM/XM/MP3 player/CD (they don't have the same levels -starts at #18 with CD) will sound muddy and slightly distort. The bigger issue is the door panel and door components assembly.
With my 06 I now have an upgraded amp and new fronts components and a small trunk sub (very clean sound), the new front door drivers alone (with sub off) cause various parts of the door panel and window switch assembly buzz, rattle, etc even from talk radio broadcasts. and this happens even with dampening material in the door.
The next gen TSX better address this poor door design/assembly on the 04-06 relative to acoustic properties. No wonder the TSX has no High End Audio option, more people would hear the inadequacies of the door design.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
None of my speakers buzz or pop unless I push them beyond a reasonable point. For a stock system it has quite good bass response and clarity for the average person. It's not a performance stereo though so when pushed to that point it will respond as it should.
I agree. Sorta like like the OEM tires, they'll get you where you're going, but...

Matt -
Old 10-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
ok but acura labled it 'premium.' If it is just average and acura knows it, then the company should call it what it is.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the speaker's fault. It's because the speakers are powered directly by the headunit. You need an amp.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
for EVER more!

I've found rattling today...I think its coming from my Dash... I turned off the radio and A/C and it was still there, especially over bumps and turns/accelerating...

Any ideas???
Old 10-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

ok but acura labled it 'premium.' If it is just average and acura knows it, then the company should call it what it is.
It is better than what you'd get in an average Honda, so perhaps the premium still applies.

Virtually none of the auto manufacturers put a stereo from the factory that's as good quality as even a simple, but quality, aftermarket install. It's just not worth it for them nor the 95% of people who just don't care that much. It just needs to be good enough.

I've heard a couple of "premium" type systems on other cars, and remain unimpressed. Perhaps someone will bring up an extreme case, such as the ML system, but I think that is beside the point. It's not just that the factory couldn't give you a really expensive premium radio option, it's just that noone would want it. Myself, I'd rather build my own aftermarket setup if it were expensive.

The scary thing is how good the TSX stereo sounds with some decent speakers.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vidgamer
It is better than what you'd get in an average Honda, so perhaps the premium still applies.

Virtually none of the auto manufacturers put a stereo from the factory that's as good quality as even a simple, but quality, aftermarket install. It's just not worth it for them nor the 95% of people who just don't care that much. It just needs to be good enough.

I've heard a couple of "premium" type systems on other cars, and remain unimpressed. Perhaps someone will bring up an extreme case, such as the ML system, but I think that is beside the point. It's not just that the factory couldn't give you a really expensive premium radio option, it's just that noone would want it. Myself, I'd rather build my own aftermarket setup if it were expensive.

The scary thing is how good the TSX stereo sounds with some decent speakers.
right, all it needs is some new speakers. and no, you don't need an amp. the 360 watts and cd changer are great. acura could have spent the $200 for some decent speakers but decided to skimp for some reason. the rest of the car is amazing though.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Intermediate

I've been getting a crackly buzziness in my speakers. I cannot pinpoint which one or ones. It seems to happen after the radio or CD player has been running for a bit. When the car and everything is initially cold, I don't hear any problem.

Volume is typically set about mid-way on the scale (don't recall the number). I never list to the stereo really loud. Not sure if the dealer will handle this.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Advanced

Almost all factory speakers have paper cones, that is not something to be surprised about at all.
Speakers mounted in the door are going to be mounted onto a plastic baffle, which is as good as its going to get on a production vehicle, if you want top quality you are going to need to get to work with the fiberglass and mdf.
The plastic sheeting is on almost all new cars to protect the electronics and moving instruments and the windows, moisture can drip down from the windows and this is just to protect it.

All in all, if you want quality sound buy a quality aftermarket system, you will not find something good from a factory setup and most factory setups that people think are good are really not that good but are made to drown out the quality with loudness.
I personally do not have that big of a problem with the TSX's sound system, I dont expect it to blow me away and am not let down at all, once it gets warm I plan on installing all of my MB Quart speakers and dynamating the doors and such and possibly doing more as my last car had 2 layers of dynamat on the entire interior(pulled out the carpet and all and dynamatted it) and then 3600 watts of power.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Time to Climb

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelkTSX
My Passanger side Rear Deck speakers kept popping with any + bass and vol above 25, even with the windows close. I had it replaced 3 times under warranty but it came back within a few days or it was there as soon as it was repalced.
WOW, I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE, I'VE EXPERIENCED THE EXACT SAME THING! i'm going to be upgrading the whole sound system here soon ...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes it is!

What kind of stuff are y'all listening to? And how loud?

I have a completely stock system and I haven't experienced any rattles or buzzing. I think I turned down the bass -3 or -4, that's it. I listen mostly to classical (with some NPR during drivetime), and it sounds crystal. Of course it doesn't sound as nice and my rig at home, but better than average for a car.

I don't think I've ever pushed the volume above 20 either. 12 seems to be good for the radio, 18 for CDs at the most. 20 is too loud for me on anything. I'd think in the 25 range I'd be able to hear the audio outside of my car with all the windows rolled up.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
mine is generally quiet except when i play a certain u2 cd, i gett the buzz inside the door panel

the service advisor said there was no tsb but i knew there was one
i'm going in monday and tell them..... tsb 04-024 .... fix it asap
Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Intermediate

Lately, I've been listening to The Fray and O.A.R on CD and Alice 97.3 San Francisco.

I love classical music, but never found the TSX's speakers to be worthy of classical music. I figured they tuned it for modern contemporary music.

I'm seriously thinking of having the speakers replaced. The problem with with so many aftermarket speakers is that they have all this extra crap attached to speakers--like cram it all into one unit--tweeters mounted on top of bass. Give me a break!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Where did my garage go?

I'm not an audiophile but i find the TSX factory stereo a little muddy sounding, especially for a car that cost almost $30k. Who makes a good 6x9 for the rear shelf? Should i look for a good 2-way speaker, or does that really matter? Also, for the front doors; since there are tweeters on the dash, how important is it to find door speakers with good response in higher frequencies?

any help will be appreciated.
*he says while looking at a new Crutchfield catalog*
Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Juice!

I've never had any issues with the front speakers as far as rattles or what not, but I do have problems with the rear speakers.

I have the bass set at +2 and find that when a song has any bass at all and I'm listening too it at lower volumes, there is a distinct and noticeable buzzing / rattle coming from the back.

I've been meaning to go and sit it the back of the occur when the problem is occurring to figure it out if it is something else that is rattling to the bass or if it is definitely the speakers themselves.

Yes, yes, I know 1 solution is to always crank up the radio since the problem only occurs at lower volumes.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Pro

for speaker's issue that you guys talked about, i had never experience them.........1 year of ownership and no problem with the speaker at all...........do you guys turn on the speaker real real loud or something???
Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevezilla
I'm not an audiophile but i find the TSX factory stereo a little muddy sounding, especially for a car that cost almost $30k.
I agree with the poster above that said that most factory systems are going to come with cheap paper cones.

Why is this a surprise? 90% of the buying public is going to listen to it and say it sounds just fine. Good, even. And, for a STOCK system, it does sound pretty good, better than most. Which isn't saying a lot, to those of us who care.

Who makes a good 6x9 for the rear shelf? Should i look for a good 2-way speaker, or does that really matter? Also, for the front doors; since there are tweeters on the dash, how important is it to find door speakers with good response in higher frequencies?

any help will be appreciated.
*he says while looking at a new Crutchfield catalog*
If you're going to replace the tweets in the front, then you don't need tweeters at all in the front door speakers -- buy a matched component set, if possible.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

I never really play my stereo loud enough for it to "crackle or pop". The stock system is good enough for me. Seeing as how I came from a 2003 Toyota Camry sound system...
Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

i put mine way up there in the 27 28 and yea some songs with alot of bass it pops..but it never did that before, i think ill keep them replaced, but worst comes to worst, just lower the bass setting when it pops
Old 03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
it not about how loud, it's the frequency

i can play a u2 cd at 10 and it will do it
and play another at 30 and it wont
Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

Hmmm.... I guess you can count me in as fairly impressed with the stereo. I'm no audiophile, but the sound seemed pretty crisp and clear. I thought it was pretty good.

It definitely sounds better than my pops RSX Bose. That system really sucks. And it is the "upgrade" over the base radio.

I really think the TSX is pretty good on the cars I've experienced. Better than most BMW's I've heard, including the new 7 series. Infiniti's didn't sound too bad, but they were very bassy, same with Audis. Mazdas aren't all that great. Actually, I feel GM units sound pretty good most of the time. Some of the Ford Audiophile units seem pretty decent.

Again, I'm not an audio snob. But I'll always put crispness and clarity above loudness and big bass.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Drifting

the stock stereo wasn't terrible... but i replaced my front soundstage with DLS speakers (still using the factor crossover) and was very impressed with the improvement... crisp highs and nice full midbass... also i added in some subs (JL 10w6v2's) and an amp, looking for SQ over just plain loudness (although it still gets damn loud) and i'm quite impressed...

even at loud volumes it's clear the only rattling i get is from the rear deck and my damn sunglasses in the sunglass holder by the sunroof...

everything else vibrates like a mofo, but nothing else rattles...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

I don't get it, the door and rear speakers in my 06 tsx are fine, it's those two shitty dashboard speakers that cause all the buzzing, mostly from the nav voice or bluetooth. Anyone else notice this?

Quick Reply: Does the TSX have an audio problem? Speakers rattle.. etc