Creaking - Auto Tranny Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking - Auto Tranny Shifter

My TSX has 2500 miles on it and the creaking noise that seems to come from the silver casing at the bottom of my auto shifter continues to get worse. When I make a sharp turn or veer to the side I hear a creaking that I cannot seem to pin down exactly other than to note that it is coming from near the shifter. It occurss occasionally when I hit a bump but I would not really call it a rattle. Has anyone else had this problem (I tried a search and couldnt find an exact match) and if so what was done to rectify it? I dont want take the car to dealer until first oil change but if this keeps up I may have to...thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 AM
CeD

I had the same exact problem. The dealer removed the shift gate and lined the interior with velvet tape. This was about 7 months ago and it has not come back!

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Advanced

i had (have) the exact same problem. it occurs most often during sharp turns, and having someone in the passenger seat exacerbates the problem for some reason. my dealer claimed they could not duplicate the problem (though i showed a manager the problem and he agreed it was present).

velvet liner is what i was planning on using if i fix it up myself, but if brerpie got his dealer to do it, maybe i'll try that route.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

I'm not sure if we have the same problem but...

I had a creaking noise that came from the center console (overlapping black plastic part) rubbing against the silver shift gate.
I opened up the console and lined the problem area with hockey tape. (Yes, I am Canadian.)
Since doing this, I've been creak-free. Hopefully, it will continue.

I had to do my own work since my dealer gave me the brush off.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Finally took my TSX to dealer to get this fixed. When I picked up the car, it was fine. Now, after two days the problem is worse. The area now creaks and rattles....and the tech also scratched the black area right next to the silver auto tranny part. I am really ticked off. The dealer - Ocean Acura in NJ - tells me that I have to essentially take a day off to meet one of the technicians in person. This is ridiculous. I fear that by having this "fixed" by the dealer, I have ruined the housing and made the problem worse if not permanent. Does anyone have any helpful advice? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Well, firstly, don't accept any damage done by the dealer. Insist that they replace the part that was scratched, if it is noticeable, as there is no excuse for that sort of thing. Secondly, if they didn't fix the original problem, then take the technician on a short drive to demonstrate it. It's a PITA, but worth it in the long run if the problem bothers you on a daily basis.

I have to take mine in again, as the dealer fixed the speaker buzzing in my TSX, but caused a new and loud rattle near the driver's side door lock. I don't want to do it, but there's no way I'm listening to that everyday.

Good luck, and if the dealer balks at your requests, escalate it to the next level (a rep from Acura).
Old 09-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

well that's a rather rare offer -- meeting the tech that actually works on you car.
So meet him and SHOW him exactly what your complaints are.

I met mine and the guy hardly spoke any engrish....haha
WTF you gonna do <sigh>
Old 10-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
My TSX has 2500 miles on it and the creaking noise that seems to come from the silver casing at the bottom of my auto shifter continues to get worse. When I make a sharp turn or veer to the side I hear a creaking that I cannot seem to pin down exactly other than to note that it is coming from near the shifter. It occurss occasionally when I hit a bump but I would not really call it a rattle. Has anyone else had this problem (I tried a search and couldnt find an exact match) and if so what was done to rectify it? I dont want take the car to dealer until first oil change but if this keeps up I may have to...thanks in advance for your help!

I was being driven crazy by this so I decided to try to fix it myself. I was able to wedge a small rubber gramut (sp?) between the silver shift gate and the black plastic above the transmission shifter. I didnt push it all the way it...it simply removed the pressure between the two plastic surfaces rubbing. Can this cause permanent damage or can I simply leave it there as a temporary or permanent fix?