Cracked Windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Windshield!

Driving around this weekend and noticed a small crack in my windshield! 5 days later and it is about 7 inches long. There is a very small chip along the crack that might have started the crack, but the chip is tiny and doesnt look like it would have cracked the windshield. Anyone have any similar experience? Can I possibly try to have this fixed as a warranty issue? I would think a windshield would me much stronger than to crack after being hit by a tiny ass pebble...if that is what happened.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think you can use warrantee here. cracked windshieds must be replaced..
Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Most Automobile Insurance Policies cover windshields at 100% with no deductible. Call your insurance agent or carrier and see if you have glass coverage.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by poway1
Driving around this weekend and noticed a small crack in my windshield! 5 days later and it is about 7 inches long. There is a very small chip along the crack that might have started the crack, but the chip is tiny and doesnt look like it would have cracked the windshield. Anyone have any similar experience? Can I possibly try to have this fixed as a warranty issue? I would think a windshield would me much stronger than to crack after being hit by a tiny ass pebble...if that is what happened.
The crack was caused by the tiny chip, no warranty for it. I had a cracked winshield and it had to be replaced. It was caused by the tiniest chip imaginable but the dealer pointed it out and let me know.

Originally Posted by sabby
Most Automobile Insurance Policies cover windshields at 100% with no deductible. Call your insurance agent or carrier and see if you have glass coverage.
AFAIK insurance companies will pay for your winshield to be repaired. A 7in crack will mostly likely need to be replaced, in which case say hello to a deductible.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

thanks xizor, I was going to try and conceal the chip before I brought it in to the dealer but I am sure they would have noticed! Damn them, and yeah for me it is a $300 deductible.

What is your take on "generic" glass vs. factory honda glass? All glass repair places I call are trying to sell me generic glass, saying that it is all the same because it has to meet the same US standards. The difference in price is $330 for the generic and $530 for the Honda glass. With my deductible I would only make a claim if I went with the factory glass. What should I do?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by poway1
thanks xizor, I was going to try and conceal the chip before I brought it in to the dealer but I am sure they would have noticed! Damn them, and yeah for me it is a $300 deductible.

What is your take on "generic" glass vs. factory honda glass? All glass repair places I call are trying to sell me generic glass, saying that it is all the same because it has to meet the same US standards. The difference in price is $330 for the generic and $530 for the Honda glass. With my deductible I would only make a claim if I went with the factory glass. What should I do?
I got a "generic" one and its exactly the same as the OEM except no Honda branding. My insurance said they come from the same manufacturer and Honda just brands theirs and I believe them. My new winshield fit great, actually got rid of the winshield rattle too. Make sure the winshield they're instaling has the black strip around the outside, one member said their generic replacement didn't which is ghetto. I'm very satisfied with mine.