Cracked Front Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Front Windshield

The windshield crack is more than 12 inches long so it would have to be replaced.

Between Safelite brand and PPG, what do you guys recommend? I don't want to replace with one that is non-OEM quality and have it crack on me again down the line due to the poor quality. Any one have any experience with either of those brand?

Anything else I need to look after while having the windshield replaced?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine replaced with OEM glass which ended up being about $30 cheaper than the alternative. I'd check and get an OEM quote because it might be cheaper (although it makes no sense to me!) Might take a little time (2-3 days from the initial call) for them to get what they need because any glass shop will need to purchase the moulding from the dealer even if the glass is in stock. Not a pretty sight to watch as they disassemble and rip out your old glass but interesting nonetheless. I ended up paying just over $500 for mine.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I got a safelite winshield and have been very happy. Replacing my winshield and molding actually make the creaking problem go away. I did my claim through Geico and they would not pay for the dealership to sublet the job to another company, so I had to go through Safelite.

I talked to the safelite rep and told him I wanted a Honda branded winshield and he said I could get a Honda one if I wanted, but the only difference is the Honda stamp, where the Safelite has none. He said they're the exact same winshield otherwise, so I went w/ a safelite (actually unbranded) b/c I could get it done fast.

Make sure the new winshield has the black dotted strip around it, one person on here said someone replaced their winshield w/o it. I asked specifically and they said that and the molding would be replaced. Winshield has been perfect so far, I'm very happy w/ it, possibly even happier than the creaking OEM

I didn't get to see the process though, I found glass shards around after they finished, so I'm interested in what they do...
Old 12-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xizor

Make sure the new winshield has the black dotted strip around it, one person on here said someone replaced their winshield w/o it. I asked specifically and they said that and the molding would be replaced. Winshield has been perfect so far, I'm very happy w/ it, possibly even happier than the creaking OEM
I was wondering what the black dots are for? Do you remember how much you paid safelite to come out to do the job?

Safelite actually told me the same thing about Acura putting their names on Safelite glass and selling it at a markup. I've read in other threads though that PPG was the manufacturers of Acura Windshield.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Strifez
I was wondering what the black dots are for? Do you remember how much you paid safelite to come out to do the job?

Safelite actually told me the same thing about Acura putting their names on Safelite glass and selling it at a markup. I've read in other threads though that PPG was the manufacturers of Acura Windshield.
I made my claim through my insurance, so it was $200 deductible. I don't know how muich out of pocket it is
Old 12-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I know several people who had Safelite replace broken windows (side windows, not windshields). I've noticed on all these windows, the window appears to be segments. It's hard to explain, but when I look at them from certain angles, it looks like it is about twelve vertical strips somehow molded together. Like there is a difference in the thickness or shape or transparency of the glass at those "mold" points and it is not a continuous, smooth look.

FWIW, my Honda was broken into a couple years ago, and I got it replaced at the dealer for cheaper than what Safelite quoted me.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Tuxedo Cat

In truth, there are only 3-4 manufacturers of auto glass in the world. Honda buys from one or more of them (typically car manufacturers have at least two sources for this stuff), and has the glass stamped with their name. Same is true for every other car manufacturer.

I replaced my Audi windshield with PPG a couple of years ago. Installer did a topnotch job for less than half of what the dealer would have charged, and for about 1/3 less than he would have needed to charge in order to get the Audi branded part. It was identical in every way except the stamp.

I would be more concerned about the installer than the glass. I found a great one with great references.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Advanced

For people who had their front windshield replaced, did they require new molding?

If so, do the installer use Acura or generic molding?

The reason I'm asking is that the installer is coming out tomorrow and will determine whether or not new Acura molding is needed for the job. I would hate to have them come all the way to my place and tell me I would have to wait a few more weeks until they can get the part from Acura.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Strifez
For people who had their front windshield replaced, did they require new molding?

If so, do the installer use Acura or generic molding?

The reason I'm asking is that the installer is coming out tomorrow and will determine whether or not new Acura molding is needed for the job. I would hate to have them come all the way to my place and tell me I would have to wait a few more weeks until they can get the part from Acura.
I don't know what they used on mine, but it worked perfectly.