could my windshield be lose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tweeters

I wouldn't about those, that noise should subside. A bunch of us experienced the same problem, but the speakers just need to break-in. 1400mi is probably not long enough.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:56 AM
6th Gear

OK, just took my car in yesterday for the windshield creak problem. They said that a clip on the molding had come loose and they pushed it back in. They said that if I had the problem again to let them know and they would order new parts for it.

Now I'm not quite sure where the clip was but I thought that he said it was at the bottom of the winshield. Kind of like one of the fixes I read in previous posts. The strange thing was is that the sound was coming from the top of my windshield. I could actually reproduce the sound while the car was sitting still by reaching up and grabbing the top molding on the inside of the winshield and pulling it in towards the sunroof.

It was pretty warm here yesterday so I am not sure if the noise is gone or not. I guess I will wait and see.

BTW, I agree with the previous poster that I would not worry to much about the speakers. The rattle in mine went away after about 3000 miles.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DCDeacon
Took my TSX in (1,400 mil) to get my tags and have my windshield creak fixed.

Guys at Chevy Chase Acura in Maryland said they'd had a bunch of requests for the exact same fix, and that Acura had issued service instructions for it. They replaced molding and added insulation around the windshield/dash area under the hood, rattle is totally gone.

Moves my satisfaction level from 9.0/10 to 9.5/10. If my tweaters weren't buzzing every now and then, it'd be perfect
I went to the dealership in Gaithersburg, and i had the same problems with my windshield/dashboard. They added insulation to it and the noise went away for a while but now slowly comes back. Did they tell you exactly what was loose or causing the rattle?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
It dropped to 35 degrees and stopped raining here in NJ.....
Old 11-26-2004, 08:14 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ wsklar that's a good thing! i'm getting mine washed and NXT spray waxed today
Old 11-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by mg7726
^^ wsklar that's a good thing! i'm getting mine washed and NXT spray waxed today

Good for cleaning, bad for windshield rattles...
Old 11-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Racer

Hey - just made an apt with acura for an oil change and asked if they had anything (tsb/docs) regarding a fix for the windshield noises and he searched what seemed to be a large database and found nothing. this perticular guy even said he never heard of such a noise (is he out of his mind?)...

off topic but i dont want to add more thread clutter about this; i get my oil changed with synthetic. i had my first one done at 5,000, and now im at 15,000. i intended to change it every 10,000 even though everyone (here and at the dealer) has told me I could go even longer. the man i spoke to today says he recomends no more then 4,000 miles with synthetic because dirt still gets into the engine nomatter which oil you use. that makes sense, and i never thought of that. either way i go in for a change on monday. Im going to start going every 5,000 miles now. does anyone think i did any damage?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:01 PM
7th Gear

More of the Same...

Hi Everybody!

I have the exact same issue. The dealer has tried (and failed) to fix the following noise issues:

1. Vibration Noise from the headliner
2. Squeak from centre console area (caused by attept to fix first issue)
3. Creaking/Vibration noise from the dashboard/windscreen area

I had both the Service Manager and the Tech in the car this morning and both heard the noises.

Again, as with previous posters, it appears to get worse in colder weather. Now I'm Pasadena and we don't get that much cold weather, but this morning my car was covered in frost!

Anyhoo, they gave me a loaner and are attempting to fix the problem(s) again. Hopefully this time...

If I get a fix that sticks, I'll post it.

TTFN,

Iain
Old 11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Go Giants

It helps if you pretend there is a gremlin under your hood taping on the windshield. I call him tappy...tappy the gremlin.....
Old 12-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Cruisin'

thanks, wsklar

Thanks for directing me to this thread, wsklar. I'm taking my car in tomorrow...wish me luck. Also getting my alignment fixed and they're also checking on a condensation problem with my windshield...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DCDeacon
Took my TSX in (1,400 mil) to get my tags and have my windshield creak fixed.

Guys at Chevy Chase Acura in Maryland said they'd had a bunch of requests for the exact same fix, and that Acura had issued service instructions for it. They replaced molding and added insulation around the windshield/dash area under the hood, rattle is totally gone.

Moves my satisfaction level from 9.0/10 to 9.5/10. If my tweaters weren't buzzing every now and then, it'd be perfect
do you have anything documented as to what the dealer used to search for the fix or situation within the acura computer system. everytime i talk to my dealer he tries searching the system via windshield or windshield noise/creak/rattle etc, and nothing shows up...

thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
do you have anything documented as to what the dealer used to search for the fix or situation within the acura computer system. everytime i talk to my dealer he tries searching the system via windshield or windshield noise/creak/rattle etc, and nothing shows up...

thanks
I am assuming that since he is quiet, the noise came back. But if not, please let us know.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
5th Gear

No Fix Yet

Took TSX back to second dealer (Park Ave, Maywood NJ) for the windshield.

They put 'EPT' tape on dash and pillar area (B-pillar according to the service rep). Of course it was a rainy day and there was no noise...2 days later in dry cool air, my rattle is back.

I took it up with offically client relations and am expecting a call from the regional case manger. Essentially putting ducks in a row before I escalate through Acura hierachy to include the exective level and take legal action as necessary.

This is not merely a case of inconvenience, it is a health and safety concern. For all I know, this windshield will crack causing glass to shatter over my family and I. Couple this with the moving seat that could give way at any moment, sending the driver into the dashboard and there is a viable casue of concern for product liabilty. Not to mention these conditions takes focus of the task of driving, creating an unsafe situation for all on the road. For anyone that has the unfortunate occurance of an accident, I would point out these conditions out as a distraction and proximate cause. Put the manufatuer on the hook.

This BB is great and I encourage you ALL to contact client relations .......800.382.2238......and get you complaints offically logged. In this way focused pressure on the corporation will be clear and they ignore it at their own peril. Use official channels, escalate through the ranks, take names, document all contacts and use official and traceable correspondence when necessary.

Unfortuantely, the organization must be backed into a corner before they move. I hear a "fix is coming", but it has been too long now and I am having serious doubts about the vlaidity of the pending TSB.

The only way to get attention on the issues is to turn this into a risk for the company. When the risk becomes greater than the cost of a fix, then maybe they will do something.

Good luck to all.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by ZmanTSX
Took TSX back to second dealer (Park Ave, Maywood NJ) for the windshield.

They put 'EPT' tape on dash and pillar area (B-pillar according to the service rep). Of course it was a rainy day and there was no noise...2 days later in dry cool air, my rattle is back.

I took it up with offically client relations and am expecting a call from the regional case manger. Essentially putting ducks in a row before I escalate through Acura hierachy to include the exective level and take legal action as necessary.

This is not merely a case of inconvenience, it is a health and safety concern. For all I know, this windshield will crack causing glass to shatter over my family and I. Couple this with the moving seat that could give way at any moment, sending the driver into the dashboard and there is a viable casue of concern for product liabilty. Not to mention these conditions takes focus of the task of driving, creating an unsafe situation for all on the road. For anyone that has the unfortunate occurance of an accident, I would point out these conditions out as a distraction and proximate cause. Put the manufatuer on the hook.

This BB is great and I encourage you ALL to contact client relations .......800.382.2238......and get you complaints offically logged. In this way focused pressure on the corporation will be clear and they ignore it at their own peril. Use official channels, escalate through the ranks, take names, document all contacts and use official and traceable correspondence when necessary.

Unfortuantely, the organization must be backed into a corner before they move. I hear a "fix is coming", but it has been too long now and I am having serious doubts about the vlaidity of the pending TSB.

The only way to get attention on the issues is to turn this into a risk for the company. When the risk becomes greater than the cost of a fix, then maybe they will do something.

Good luck to all.
While I don't think the windshield will break on me (it does sound like it could though) I like this post. You have encouraged me to call client relatons.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

I'm still waiting on a resolution to my windshield problem. I took the car in 10 days ago. Service said that it was probably a molding issue and that the windshield would need to be removed and new molding applied. I picked up the car last Tuesday and noticed a foot 4 inch scratch on the black part of the windshield near the base of the dashboard. Not a huge deal, and probably didn't weaken the integrity of the glass, but still not the cleanest work done by a bodyshop. So I complained and they took the vehicle back. There was another TSX owner who was ahead of me...He had the same job completed, but his windshield had a 5-inch crack where the VIN is displayed. Sounds like this bodyshop has no clue what they're doing.

So I'm still without my car, 10 days later, and getting pretty pissed. (I do have a TL loaner at the moment, but luckily, it hasn't made me regret buying the TSX at all). Hope they call me today and tell me that I can pick up my ride!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 PM
8th Gear

I started to post on around page 3 a while back. This is just an update..
It has only gotten colder in ct and the noise is still gone for me. I guess I got lucky...

I know this probably won't make anyone feel better, but maybe it's the attempt to make tolerances smaller that's contributing to these annoying noises on some newly manufactured cars. Cases in point, I have been traveling for work and had relatively new rentals including an altima and grand prix... both exhibited plenty of squeaks and clicking noises, the grand prix also had a clunking drive train noise that sounded like a loose cv joint. Also, got a ride from a co-worker today in a brand new mini and that thing had similar creaking noises from the windshield, door panel and dash, except alot more noise with no bumps in the road... WTF is up with all these new cars????

Anyways, I have written to acura and logged the complaint so with enough complaints, maybe they'll figure it out and issue a tsb in the near future... This will be my last post unless the noise comes back. Good luck all.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Go Giants

Well, confusion for me.

Last week it was raining and about 50 degrees. This week has been dry but cold (30's - 40's). Anyway, no noise for 2 weeks...My theory is that it got so cold that the plastic contracted so much that it tighened the seal. My parts are still on order so I am on a wait and see....
Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Racer

It was 30 something this morning.. and i noticed the creaking noise for the first time on my 05... Not sure if i am that worried right now.. but lets see how bad it gets... Also that little mirror plastic thingy on the rearview. is buzzing a bit...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Racer

If you go to home depot in the aisle where they have weatherstripping, they have this 1/4 or 1/2 inch wide foam tape. they sell it in black and it is a GODSEND for ANY car owner to own.

Go get a roll ($2) and just slide the plastic strip behind the mirror down, stick a slick of foam in there and slide it back closed. I never had the buzz bc I noticed it was loose and prone to noises before I ever heard any so I immedieatly (sp?) foamed it up.

Like Ive said before, the only noises i ever had was my squeaky windows which the dealer took care of with about a gallon of silicone spray, the windshield creak which went away for good once you press the cowl down (and in NY we had a 16 degree windchill day yesterday and no noises), and the steering wheel rattle. Other then that just the seatbelt adjuster rattle which happens in any/every car ive ever been in so it doesnt seem like an issue to me. Oh and the first week I had the car my cd compartment cubby was making a buzzing noise. i just popped it out and put foam tape along the parts where it sits on and it has been solid since.

I did however notice parts of the car that seemed like they would be prone to rattles even though they didnt, so someone might want to take a look and insulate the following areas.

Plastic covers on both the drivers and passengers side of dashboard. (part that is concealed when the doors are shut. Foam Tape them...

Plastic covers behind the door handles. Foam Tape them...

Metal bracket behind the overhead lights/homelink unit. Youll see what I mean if you remove it and insulate it...

Plastic strip behind rearview mirror. Slide the strip up or down and stick some tape in there.

Drivers window control assembly creaks. just stick a small piece of foam felt in between it and its solid.

The oh-shit handles above the back doors make some loose noises if you tap them but i never heard any noises come from them as i drive so i never bothered troubleshooting.

Also, the child seat tether anchor covers... Never heard noises but they are obviously loose (kinda). I just put a small strip of foam tape inside on the edge where you cant see it and all three of them sit solid.

Hope that helps some of you. This car is very solid and quiet. Im just prone to notice things that MIGHT cause noises bc my last car was a rattle box accord.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Racer

oh yeah, and my car goes in to get the steering wheel rattle taken care of on Monday. You can reproduce it just by knocking the bottom of the steering wheel, so I dare the dealer to start with the 'unable to reproduce' B.S.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Racer

sorry, i never pay attention to where I post. does a mod want to move my replies to another thread instead? sorry...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear

Angry

Damn..I took in the the dealer and told them about the windshield rattling problem... and they later on call me and say that they can't reproduce this

Is ACURA going to have a proper fix for this any time soon?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wsklar
Went straight to the dealer this morning (Precision Acura, Princeton NJ) and the service manager told me some good news. He said Acura now recognizes the issue and is developing new moldings . The SM tried to order them, but Acura won't give them to him yet, he thinks 3 weeks or so. He said since I came last many others have complained (I was the first), due to the cold. He also said that he has heard all other fixes (the wedge by the firewall, replaced molding, etc.) were all temporary fixes and that this would be the definitive fix from Acura.

Fingers crossed, will let you know....
Any update on it yet?

thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by superking
Any update on it yet?

thanks
So far so good. See here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18834