could my windshield be lose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Back from vacation, I will bring it in this week...
Old 11-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont even want to say this b/c with my luck the noise will re-appear... But i went to the dealer to have my untollerable window/door seal squeaks handled even though I didnt want the dealer messing with the car. btw, they lubed the crap out of my door seals and NO MORE NOISES (3 months now). again, knock on wood... It was annoying to not be able to touch the door frame for fear of getting a lube job on your hand or arm, but oh well... I also didnt open my windows for 2 months out of fear that it would dry out and come back, but thankfully its still good.

I had asked the guy about the windshield noise on the phone prior to setting up the appointment. I only heard the crackling noises a handful of times and Ive had the car since February. I told him I dont want anything done unless there is some sort of documented solution, as i dont want my car being the guinea pig and have other rattles produced. He said he thinks he knows the problem as there was a bulletin out for the windshield cowl. when i picked up the car they had lubed the seals (obviously bc they also got it on my seats), but no indication on anything that they did the windshield. the guy had mentioned that he 'took care of it' & 'readjusted some parts', which we all know basically means they looked, saw no noises, and decide to pacify us... But, I have not heard the windshielf noise since... KNOCK ON WOOD.

hmmm, i dont know how this answers any questions, but maybe it helps someone be assured that it might just be attributed to readjusting something with the cowl?

My only noise, (again knocking on wood), is the damned to hell steering wheel rattle. it doesnt make it much, but its still annoying and sounds like loose screws floating around. Anyone have a fix yet?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Instructor

I have the same tick/rattle/tapping noise from the base of the windshield on the passenger side. I bought mine in mid September ( i think the build date was in JULY). I have not tried the fix by 03jeff, but i'm going to try it at some point.

I noticed that the tapping noise is also related to tempurature/weather conditions. This morning it was super cold (20 degrees F - 30 degrees F) and there was no tapping. But during the weekend on Saturday, it was tapping like crazy over bumpy roads and it was warmer in the 50s. If it is over 60 degrees there is no tapping. This is an odd problem and it seems people are getting it fixed in different ways. I hope the shim solution works b/c i'd rather not have a dealer tearing the windshield off, only to have it continue to tap a week later.

My wifes Jeep liberty ( A CHRYSLER PRODUCT) is exactly one year old and has 15,000 miles on it. ZERO taps/rattles etc. now why does my acura have this stupid problem. I bought this car so it wouldn't have these issues!!

I'll post in here if the shim fix works or does not work. But i'll give it a week or so to see for sure that it works for me.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
I dont even want to say this b/c with my luck the noise will re-appear... But i went to the dealer to have my untollerable window/door seal squeaks handled even though I didnt want the dealer messing with the car. btw, they lubed the crap out of my door seals and NO MORE NOISES (3 months now). again, knock on wood... It was annoying to not be able to touch the door frame for fear of getting a lube job on your hand or arm, but oh well... I also didnt open my windows for 2 months out of fear that it would dry out and come back, but thankfully its still good.
Its just a matter of cleaning the door seals. You don't necessarily need to lub. I took some 303 Aerospace Protectant and went over my door seals all the way around and it eliminated the seal noises. Easier than going to the dealership for that one at least.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
My windshield rattle/squeek was there for two days but I haven't heard it since. I booked a service for next week but now I wonder if I should even bother going, if they can't hear it how can they know they fixed it??
Old 11-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
My windshield rattle/squeek was there for two days but I haven't heard it since. I booked a service for next week but now I wonder if I should even bother going, if they can't hear it how can they know they fixed it??
It comes and goes. My advice is drop by the dealer when it is happening and have them listen.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZmanTSX
I have same rattle issue...

The dealer said it was fixed with some adjustment to the glove box...BS, the noise is still there. Funny thing is, it was raining when I picked it up and the noise was not there.

Same conditions for the same windshield noise...dry colder air..mine starts around 60 degrees.

I am in NJ ans saw a post that Denville Acura fixed it with some moulding adjustments. Did this work, now that it is cold out??? Do you have a contact name there?

thks
Yeah I had Denville Acura fix it, and now that it's cold, still no rattle so far. Unfortunately I don't have a contact name for anyone in the service department.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:43 AM
6th Gear

I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. Whenever it gets below 70 degrees outside it sounds like the winshield is going to fall out of my car every time I go over a bump. The best way I can describe the noise is like cracking glass. It actually sounds like I am stepping on a piece of glass and slowly breaking it. The noise seems to come from the lower passenger side of my windshield and from at the top near the sunglass holder.

I have an appointment scheduled for next week for my 3500 mile oil change so I am going to have them look at it then. It makes me a little nervous since there does not seem to be a common fix for it yet.

I haven't seen any St. Louis posts on this yet so I'll let you know what the local dealers fix is. I just hope it is not raining when I bring it in.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Go Giants

Big Update!!!

Went straight to the dealer this morning (Precision Acura, Princeton NJ) and the service manager told me some good news. He said Acura now recognizes the issue and is developing new moldings . The SM tried to order them, but Acura won't give them to him yet, he thinks 3 weeks or so. He said since I came last many others have complained (I was the first), due to the cold. He also said that he has heard all other fixes (the wedge by the firewall, replaced molding, etc.) were all temporary fixes and that this would be the definitive fix from Acura.

Fingers crossed, will let you know....
Old 11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i get a creaking sound from the rear glass, anyone get this too?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Maybe the front noise is drowning out the rear for me???
Old 11-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jiggaman
that's the only one I have now. But from what I can tell its not related to cold, because I have it all the time, but it doesn't creak on every bump. It kinda of comes and goes randomly, its not as annoying or persistant as the front winshield one.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
that's the only one I have now. But from what I can tell its not related to cold, because I have it all the time, but it doesn't creak on every bump. It kinda of comes and goes randomly, its not as annoying or persistant as the front winshield one.
same here xizor, not temp related. once i turn my stereo on my subwoofers drown out the sound. i wonder if the subwoofers shaking the shit out of the rear of my car has anything to do with it. One of these days i am going to have someone drive around with me in the back seat so i can figure what the sound is.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Mine is going in for the crackling winshield next week, I tried stuffing some cardboard between the headliner and windshield (under the rubber strip) right around the rearview mirror assembly and the noise subsided a bit.

I also have a buzzing noise coming from the rear deck that seems to occur when I bear right or left (for example when taking an exit ramp). Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:53 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys , i found another way to fix the noise. I put a little washer between the 2 rubbers at bottom of the windshield on passenger side. No clicking sound for about 1 1/2 weeks now.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Wtbs2k
Hey guys , i found another way to fix the noise. I put a little washer between the 2 rubbers at bottom of the windshield on passenger side. No clicking sound for about 1 1/2 weeks now.
Nice job. I am still holding out until for the Acura fix though.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you put it on the outside, next to where the wiper is? or a location under the hood?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:01 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mg7726
did you put it on the outside, next to where the wiper is? or a location under the hood?
On the passenger side bottom of the windshield. between the rubber that goes around the windshield and the one under the hood.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:05 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wsklar
Nice job. I am still holding out until for the Acura fix though.

You should try to stick a washer in there too. it wouldn't hurt to do that
Old 11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Advanced

ok guys, i also have this problem. Just making sure that we are talking about the SAME thing here: mine also sounds like its coming from the front passenger dashboard area. But my passenger says that he hears it from the driver side. So i suspect it is coming from the entire dashboard. It just sounds like its coming from the passenger's side when I'm driving because of where i sit. It is NOT A GRINDING noise, NOT A CREAKING noise, not a RUBBING noise. It definetily sounds like a clicking sound whenever i hit a pothole. I took it to the dealer yesterday but couldn't replicate the noise. I even test drove with them and the noise didn't show up. I really think cars know when they are being test driven. But the dealer said they put sdome kind of insulation there. i don't know. I just know i will hear it again. and i will be back at the dealer again.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Advanced

I have the same issue. I seem to hear it coming from the rearview mirror assembly, and examined the area. On mine, the rubber strip that connects the headliner and the windshield seems to have a bit of a gap. I wedged some cardboard (actually a folded up gum package) in between and the clicking seemed to go away. It also fell out after a couple of bumps, so I think it may be part of the problem. Placing the washers at the bottom may be pushing the windshield up and creating a tighter seal at the top.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Go Giants

You should try to stick a washer in there too. it wouldn't hurt to do that

Tried that, same noise. Yours will come back, sorry.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by wanggo
ok guys, i also have this problem. Just making sure that we are talking about the SAME thing here: mine also sounds like its coming from the front passenger dashboard area. But my passenger says that he hears it from the driver side. So i suspect it is coming from the entire dashboard. It just sounds like its coming from the passenger's side when I'm driving because of where i sit. It is NOT A GRINDING noise, NOT A CREAKING noise, not a RUBBING noise. It definetily sounds like a clicking sound whenever i hit a pothole. I took it to the dealer yesterday but couldn't replicate the noise. I even test drove with them and the noise didn't show up. I really think cars know when they are being test driven. But the dealer said they put sdome kind of insulation there. i don't know. I just know i will hear it again. and i will be back at the dealer again.

Sounds like a different noise. The noise I think we are are talking about sounds like hail hitting the windshield whenever the car moves horizontally. Almost like if Superman was pressing against your windshield from the outside. Others have said it is not too loud, but mine is very loud.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Advanced

For some of you here who think its coming from the top part of the windshield or the rearview mirror, check your moonroof. It may be coming from there. Coz mine was rattling too when its closed and the shade is open. And it does sound like rain is coming down to it. So maybe thats waht your'e hearing. The moonroof is just a bit loose. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by spelldog
I have the same issue. I seem to hear it coming from the rearview mirror assembly, and examined the area. On mine, the rubber strip that connects the headliner and the windshield seems to have a bit of a gap. I wedged some cardboard (actually a folded up gum package) in between and the clicking seemed to go away. It also fell out after a couple of bumps, so I think it may be part of the problem. Placing the washers at the bottom may be pushing the windshield up and creating a tighter seal at the top.
This is a dumb question. What is a headliner? Can you elaborate more on where you put this cardbard or where to put the washer? thanks!!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Go Giants

The Moonroof shade rattle is another issue. Acura has a fix for it and fixed mine (I have almost every rattle so far).
Old 11-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Racer

sue the f*** out of me for even opening my mouth a few posts earlier. Today, after more then 3 months of a quiet windshield, it was crackling and rattling ALL DAY LONG. and its not even cold out!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
sue the f*** out of me for even opening my mouth a few posts earlier. Today, after more then 3 months of a quiet windshield, it was crackling and rattling ALL DAY LONG. and its not even cold out!
I would like to setup a poll of those who do NOT had the windshield crack....
Old 11-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The Moonroof shade rattle is another issue. Acura has a fix for it and fixed mine (I have almost every rattle so far).
Acura has a fix for that?? And my dealership doesn't know about it??!!??
Old 11-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
Acura has a fix for that?? And my dealership doesn't know about it??!!??
For the moonroof, yeah. At least thats what they told me. In any case after I took it in the moonroof stopped rattling. Something to do with clips.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Racer

Had the car in the dealer this week for the windshield noise. They replaced the windshield, and some molding and the invoice said they also fixed some plastic welds that broke.

It hasn't been cold here since I picked it up so I can't tell if it is fixed, I will keep you posted.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:40 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by michaelbolton
Yeah I had Denville Acura fix it, and now that it's cold, still no rattle so far. Unfortunately I don't have a contact name for anyone in the service department.

Thanks for the assist. I will call them.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:44 PM
5th Gear

Went straight to the dealer this morning (Precision Acura, Princeton NJ) and the service manager told me some good news. He said Acura now recognizes the issue and is developing new moldings . The SM tried to order them, but Acura won't give them to him yet, he thinks 3 weeks or so. He said since I came last many others have complained (I was the first), due to the cold. He also said that he has heard all other fixes (the wedge by the firewall, replaced molding, etc.) were all temporary fixes and that this would be the definitive fix from Acura.

Fingers crossed, will let you know....
Even better!! I have an appt. at Park Ave Acura in Maywood 12/6. If they fix this AND the steering drift AND the seat movement, my faith in Acura MIGHT be SOMEWHAT restored.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by o3jeff
Had the car in the dealer this week for the windshield noise. They replaced the windshield, and some molding and the invoice said they also fixed some plastic welds that broke.

It hasn't been cold here since I picked it up so I can't tell if it is fixed, I will keep you posted.
So I am assuming your other fix wore off?
Old 11-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Racer

So I am assuming your other fix wore off?
No it didn't make any noise, but it was only a temporary fix until I was able to bring it to Acura so they could come up with a permanant fix.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Just want everyone to know I get the same rattles on dashboard and I got a 2005. Will be calling dealer soon to fix this.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by jojo77
Just want everyone to know I get the same rattles on dashboard and I got a 2005. Will be calling dealer soon to fix this.
They are working on a fix.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wanggo
For some of you here who think its coming from the top part of the windshield or the rearview mirror, check your moonroof. It may be coming from there. Coz mine was rattling too when its closed and the shade is open. And it does sound like rain is coming down to it. So maybe thats waht your'e hearing. The moonroof is just a bit loose. Just a suggestion.
i took my car to the dealer for this fix Friday, along with the passenger speaker rattle. they taped up the moonroof with "honda squeak reduction tape" around the roof; replaced the screws and taped the audio cables. i put 100 miles this weekend and no windshield rattles

and i got a wood-trim PWP non-navi TSX loaner i missed the navi on that
Old 11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Advanced

ok, i just got my car back from dealership from clicking noise on dashboard area. We couldn't replicate the noise but they went ahead and put insulation around it. The clicking noise did go away for a couple of days but its slowly coming back. I knew that the insulation wasn't the problem but they couldn't do anything since the clicking noise didn't showe up during test drive. I know something is loose down there and I'll hear it again and off to the dealer i go again...
Old 11-23-2004, 11:31 AM
8th Gear

Took my TSX in (1,400 mil) to get my tags and have my windshield creak fixed.

Guys at Chevy Chase Acura in Maryland said they'd had a bunch of requests for the exact same fix, and that Acura had issued service instructions for it. They replaced molding and added insulation around the windshield/dash area under the hood, rattle is totally gone.

Moves my satisfaction level from 9.0/10 to 9.5/10. If my tweaters weren't buzzing every now and then, it'd be perfect

Quick Reply: could my windshield be lose?