Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
Yes, weather related for sure.

50 degrees and lower and dry = noise
Rain or over 50 = no noise

I wedged a lot of plastic in my trunk tonight so I will see tomorrow....
That sounds like my crackling noise from last year...it went away after a while... Lets see if it'll happen again this year...
Old 10-29-2004, 02:35 AM
6 speed yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i have the same noise, i brang it to the dealer and it was fixed....till that night when it got cold. i called them really mad but they don't care. whatever. atleast im not the only one! im going to try the shim thing.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Instructor

I rolled up a piece of cardboard into the size of a finger and wedged it underneathe that plastic part, but still have the popping noise. Exactly how big is the shim supposed to be? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 AM
5th Gear

Sorry guys for my english, i like to read you because i have the same problem. I tried this week the 03jeff shim solution only in the passenger side and the winshield make the same noice but not more often. I think the problem can be all this black plastic part. Maybe the contact whit the winshield is not enough tight. Here in Montreal the weather in the morning was around 30 degrees. When i put winshield washer and the defrost the noise desapeare. So that suggest an effect of suction. Anyways i wait for another apointement whit the dealer and i suggest to everyone to call the customer service of ACURA to informe them of the problem and the desagrement that cause. If everyone made that and persist i hope they gone a do something for us. That's not my first Acura or Honda and i'm very desapointed about the service for this problem. Call them the IMAGE for ACURA is very important. I explained to the guy at the customer service what i read on this forum and i said i gone a made a report to the thecnical support (ingeniring) and took information whit my dealer.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Captain, she cant handle any more plastic.....

No luck for me either. I urge everyone who has this problem (even if you were able to fix it with cardboard, etc.) to bring it in to the dealer. I think Acura needs to have this problem on their radar. The noise is a huge distraction.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys just an update on my rattle. I had it fixed 2 weeks ago (at Acura of Denville for you Jersey ppl), and the rattle is still gone. Apparently they know what they're doing, though the true test will come when it gets colder out. Now I gotta figure out how to stop my radar detector from rattling!

And no, I don't know details on how they fixed it. Some sort of molding readjustment.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by michaelbolton
Hey guys just an update on my rattle. I had it fixed 2 weeks ago (at Acura of Denville for you Jersey ppl), and the rattle is still gone. Apparently they know what they're doing, though the true test will come when it gets colder out. Now I gotta figure out how to stop my radar detector from rattling!

And no, I don't know details on how they fixed it. Some sort of molding readjustment.

Thanks for the info. Precision in Princeton fixed it for about a week and a half. It supposed to be dry and colder by Wednesday, please let us know if it comes back. Deville is about an hour from here, but maybe I can have Precision call them to see if they can knowledge share.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:57 PM
5th Gear

Hi,

I'm from Montreal. Same freakin problem on my 2004 TSX. First visit to the dealer, on a rainy day, impossible to hear that damn noise so I got back home. Next time, the windshield was craking like hell so they noticed. Told me they tried a couple of things but 45 minutes later, they gave up and gave me another appointment for this week. Now they kept the car for a whole day, told me it was fixed. Asked them what they did and they told me they went by the glove compartment and thighten the dash...horse shit. Now, I've tried o3Jeff's solution and looks like it worked. Got to pry it real hard and insert a piece of plastic (between 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick) and not between the body and this place but if you lift it to the max, you'll feel something that stays there (hard to explain). You lift the plastic and insert the shim. I think it works. It's 7 celcius here tonight and I went for a quick ride ( and a lot of bumps) and no noise. Just before, it was craking like hell. Now, even if it's work, that does not mean we should give up, fix it and forget it. We really have to rally and go to Acura, show them how to fix it, and ask for some kind of recall and a permanent solution. How about that?
I'll go for a real road test tomorrow but there is rain in the forecast. Conclusion, I really think the problem is outside, not inside
Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Go Giants

supermec, hi and welcome..Thanks for the info. Can you post your shim job? I can't imagine prying more plastic in there without breaking the molding.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:07 PM
5th Gear

I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow and post it. I went for a second ride with the car tonight. Still a little noise, but on my side only this time (where I did not put any shim). Dead quiet on the passenger side. I'll try to insert something on my side too tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Old 10-30-2004, 06:10 AM
Racer

Supermec glad it worked for someone otherthan me. I only had the noise on the passanger side.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:27 PM
5th Gear

I had the rattle on both side. I pretty sure the shim got rid of the noise on the passenger side. On the driver side though, I used a diffenrent shim and since it's been rainy and warm here this week-end, I'll have to wait a couple of days to see if it's history or not. Anyhow, I want to add 4 more photos. Photo1 shows what I used for shim on the passenger side. Photo 2 & 3 shows where I placed it and Photo 4 is a close up showing that the shim has to go between the metal plate and the molding, not the body.

MEC

[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\photo1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\Photo2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\Photo3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\photo4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Go Giants

Try again with the pics, please let me know if you have questions. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by supermec
I had the rattle on both side. I pretty sure the shim got rid of the noise on the passenger side. On the driver side though, I used a diffenrent shim and since it's been rainy and warm here this week-end, I'll have to wait a couple of days to see if it's history or not. Anyhow, I want to add 4 more photos. Photo1 shows what I used for shim on the passenger side. Photo 2 & 3 shows where I placed it and Photo 4 is a close up showing that the shim has to go between the metal plate and the molding, not the body.

MEC

[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\photo1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\Photo2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\Photo3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]F:\Données\Photos\Acura\photo4.jpg[/IMG]
upload yours pictures to imageshack.us and link them, you can't do it off your hard drive
Old 10-31-2004, 07:48 PM
5th Gear

Here we go again for the pictures.

Hope this work...

Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Thank you for the pics. I've tried putting in cardboard paper thicker than your bottlecap and it still makes the popping noise, but I'm set on getting rid of the sound.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Go Giants

Thanks for the pics, my attempt is pretty much the same but I used plastic putty appliers.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
8th Gear

Ok, folks, i was lucking in getting rid of the noise from just pressing down on the plastic piece right below the passenger side wiper where it meets the the windshield and the side molding(in fact as i pressed down, it went click, click). From reading all the postings here, it seems that rain or wetness help curb the noise, i was wondering if anyone tried using WD40 on the gasket seam where the plastic (right beneath the wipers) meet the windshield, as well as the side molding of the winshield where the rubber gasket meets the windshield (where rain water would provide some lubrication to the rubber and plastic seams). To me, it doesn't make sense that the source of the noise is that far into the engine bay as the noise appear to be sourced at the base of the windshield.

This is just a suggestion as my problem has gone away. if anyone tries this, let me and the rest of the folks on this thread know if it works.

I have a dell computer and mouse... and my mouse also squeaks...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by trsx226
Ok, folks, i was lucking in getting rid of the noise from just pressing down on the plastic piece right below the passenger side wiper where it meets the the windshield and the side molding(in fact as i pressed down, it went click, click). From reading all the postings here, it seems that rain or wetness help curb the noise, i was wondering if anyone tried using WD40 on the gasket seam where the plastic (right beneath the wipers) meet the windshield, as well as the side molding of the winshield where the rubber gasket meets the windshield (where rain water would provide some lubrication to the rubber and plastic seams). To me, it doesn't make sense that the source of the noise is that far into the engine bay as the noise appear to be sourced at the base of the windshield.

This is just a suggestion as my problem has gone away. if anyone tries this, let me and the rest of the folks on this thread know if it works.

I have a dell computer and mouse... and my mouse also squeaks...
I would be concerned that the WD40 would wear off, I am hoping for a more perminant solution.

It's been warm here the past few days and the creak is gone for now, makes me love my TSx again
Old 11-01-2004, 09:02 PM
8th Gear

maybe it'll last through the winter and hopefully by then, acura would have figured out a permanent fix. Somehow, my noise has gone completely and temp here is 35-60 F.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Go Giants

Keep us posted, thanks. As soon as it gets colder I will go back to the dealer.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:56 AM
5th Gear

Guys,

Is there any of you that filed an official complain to Honda? I just did with Honda Canada. The person that took my call said that if no customer or dealer are complaining (she checked and so far, nobody did about that problem), they can't assign engineers and fix the problem. Anyhow, I'll try to take as many names (and Email addresses) as I can from owners and ask them to call Honda.

Here is the number in Canada 1-888-946-6329.

As far as WD40 on the seal...hum, I think I'll wait.

MEC
Old 11-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Go Giants

I haven't, but I will. The US number from the Acura site is (800) 382-2238
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Racer

I just called to schedule for the recall on the tail light harness and asked the guy about the creaking windshield. He said they are aware of the problem and have been resetting the windshield which seems to solving the problem.

I scheduled for them to do it on the November 16 and will let you know if it is a pemanant fix.

The dealer is Morande and the guy I talked to is Jerry seeing there seems to be quite a few of us from CT with this problem.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Go Giants

Thanks. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

hmnmmm... on my tsx, it rattled like a mofo when i first got it. What i did was i pounded down the cowl on the bottom and the rubber strips on the sides of the windows and it has not come back since.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Like with your fist?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Instructor

yup.. thats all it took on my car.. make sure u give it a beating because when i checked the first time and just tried to push it down tight, it didn't work so good and the rattle came back...
gave it a beating and it hasn't bothered me for a good 3 months and counting
Old 11-02-2004, 09:29 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Panda_TSX
yup.. thats all it took on my car.. make sure u give it a beating because when i checked the first time and just tried to push it down tight, it didn't work so good and the rattle came back...
gave it a beating and it hasn't bothered me for a good 3 months and counting

kinda like what i did and it also worked for me...
Old 11-03-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Dammit.

I just drove back from work and I noticed the squeaking windsheild for the first time. It's very clear every time I hit a bump on the road. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow. This is like a week after my neighbor told me about his windsheild squeaking.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Instructor

I picked up my car about 3 weeks ago. Just as it passed 600 miles it started to do the same thing. I also have a really loud resonance/buzz that occurs just about when I’m around 7000 rpm and shifting to the next gear. The wife and I are going out to dinner in a bit; I’m going to have her listen to see if she can locate the exact area.

I’m kind of disappointed. This car has been absolutely silent, especially compared to my Audi that sounded like bits and pieces were falling off any time I went down a rough road.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear

Dealer Fixed mine

Finally got a fix went back to the dealer about 3 times. I told him to look at this site and to focus on the plastic peace under the wipers. He put some kind of insulation tape around the plastic peace. The noise has been gone for a couple weeks even in the cold weather. So if you are having this problem take your car to the dealer and make them look at this thread and this will give you a permenant fix without having to stuff sh1t between there.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:22 PM
White and Nerdy

Today the temp was around 40 deg F and there was very little racket. I dunno why, but my windshield rattle seems to peak at 50 deg. Warmer or colder, it seems to fade away.

Will continue to test this hypothesis. I did warsh the car this weekend, so maybe if it get drier it will come back. Maybe more a function of humidity than temp?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear

Same thing with me, got my car in July and didn't have a problem all summer. All of a sudden when the temps starting getting between 50-60 degrees I started getting the most unbelieveably annoying creaking sound from the corner of the dash where it meets the windshield on the passenger side. I swore it was the dash rubbing against the windshield and tried sticking all kinds of stuff between it from the inside. Funny thing is, this morning it was 28, and there was no sound. Seems that the colder or warmer it gets below or above 50 affects whether it does it or not.

Didn't even think to look under the hood. I did wiggle the black thing at the base of the windshield but it didn't help. I might try sticking something under there as others have, but why the f*** should I have to do that. I'm driving a goddamn Acura, not a Hyundai. Does the new RL have these kind of problems, and does the guy who spends 50k on a car have to start sticking cardboard and shit in places to fix things. Yeah, the TSX might not be 50k, but I would expect the same build quality from Acura in general.

The thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing is that the whole reason I got rid of my Ford for an Acura is to not have these exact issues. My Explorer squeaked, creaked and rattled, and I bought an Acura thinking I was done with all of that. And now I started getting a rattling sound from somewhere in the middle of that dash. This is bullshit.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Anyone else have this problem fixed by the dealership yet? I noticed a few did a couple of posts up, but want to know the different methods the dealer use to solve this issue. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:47 AM
1st Gear

My TSX has been fixed at the dealer

The dealer has fixed my TSX. I had the popping creaking noise coming from the windshield on the passenger side. They ordered some molding and clips. (Guy told me that the molding was not really necessary to reorder but they liked to replace it anyway when they remove the old molding) (This means the clips are really what does the trick) They then took off the black plastic strip that runs down the passenger side of the car and used the molding and clips under there. Not sure what it was but the car is now super quiet.

They said they had other complaints about the same issue and had already done this procedure several times when I first called about the problem. I was not the first car they had fixed with this problem.

Hope this helps. I have been following this post for weeks before I finally could not stand the popping anymore.

Now I am extremely pleased with my TSX as this was the only issue I had with mine.

Thanks for all peoples inputs on this.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:59 AM
5th Gear

I have same rattle issue...

The dealer said it was fixed with some adjustment to the glove box...BS, the noise is still there. Funny thing is, it was raining when I picked it up and the noise was not there.

Same conditions for the same windshield noise...dry colder air..mine starts around 60 degrees.

I am in NJ ans saw a post that Denville Acura fixed it with some moulding adjustments. Did this work, now that it is cold out??? Do you have a contact name there?

thks
Old 11-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
On mine, the plastic piece that covers the A pillar is making the noise. When I play around with it, it goes away but eventually comes back. I don't want to take it to the dealer just in case they fuck it up even more.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Noobie 6MT driver

Add me to the list as well

My windshield is driving me nuts!! It was that bad in the beginning, but now, it's unbearable. My previous car was a Prelude, so i am familiarl with noises and such. But since the cabin noise inside the TSX is much quieter, all the little creaks and rattles are MUCH more noticeable!! Every passenger that rides my car always asks me what's up with the noise...

I believe is coming from where the windshield meet the dashboard on the driver side. It also makes a 'whistling' noise when i'm idling. You think the dealer can fix this or make it even worse??
Old 11-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Race Director

No windshield rattles for me, just the rearview mirrior every now and then.

Quick Reply: could my windshield be lose?