Comptech A to B Pipe failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Comptech A to B Pipe failure

Thought I'd post up about an issue I had recently with my Comptech exhaust.

So, the failure is in the front flange of the B pipe. The weld around the pipe flange failed, not the flange, which is a male coupler into the female of the A pipe, held in place by a v band. Obviously with this many years on the exhaust, no warranty and probably not worth it to buy just the B pipe either. It was a gradual failure over the course of 5 months when I recognized it to the time the exhaust fell down. I had it MIG'd by a buddy who builds custom bikes (and would've done a sweet mode to my 1098 if it were still here ).

My thoughts are that the failure was due to a thin weld to the pipe, the nature of salty roads here in Ohio, generally a lot of flexing at that connection, and years of pressure to the weak weld since I run the exhaust with the silencers; that area has not gasket or bolting flanges. Additioanlly, that area has no support until you get to the back side of the B pipe.

So heads up. Do an inspection on yours if you live in the salt belt and often run the silencers. It is repaired for the moment, but I'm pretty sure within 2-3 years, I'll have another exhaust under there.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the roads are REALLLY salty here during the winter, pretty unfortunate, glad to see you got it fixed
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah crap this just happened to me this morning.....what to do....
Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WlcTL
ah crap this just happened to me this morning.....what to do....
Have the joint welded together if there is still enough good metal to weld. If not, have a muffler shop cut out the joint and weld in a patch. I'm going to see if over the winter break I can have my buddy do exactly this, but using a new section of stainless steel pipe. Just need it so I don't have the car for a week.