Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problem

I recently had a 30,000 mile maintenance done on my 2004 TSX by the dealer. The checklist includes a clutch inspection, but I don't know what (or if) they inspected. The clutch sometimes seems less than smooth when let out from a standstill in first gear. There's a rubbing sound at a certain point, but it's not always noticeable. It's not really a grinding sound, but it sounds like rough contact.

Should I assume this is something that needs to be looked at? It's been a few years since the last time I owned a car with a manual transmission, so I'm not sure what normal wear and tear is anymore, or if I'm fussing over nothing. I don't drive the car all that hard, not street racing it or anything.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Could be a syncro that's a bit off...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSXDetroit
I recently had a 30,000 mile maintenance done on my 2004 TSX by the dealer. The checklist includes a clutch inspection, but I don't know what (or if) they inspected. The clutch sometimes seems less than smooth when let out from a standstill in first gear. There's a rubbing sound at a certain point, but it's not always noticeable. It's not really a grinding sound, but it sounds like rough contact.

Should I assume this is something that needs to be looked at? It's been a few years since the last time I owned a car with a manual transmission, so I'm not sure what normal wear and tear is anymore, or if I'm fussing over nothing. I don't drive the car all that hard, not street racing it or anything.

Any input would be appreciated.
its warranty mine had the same issue and i heard a few others with similar problem. if its like mine was it would only do it when a certain mixture of engine speed and engagement pressure were applied.
it makes a howling soung that sounds just a little like a spring is loose. i hope that description is close.
take the car in and have them replace the clutch. my dealer replaced the whole thing, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and disk (though i suspect the problem was just the disk)
anyway i got a loaner and it took 2 days
Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Racer

I might have the same problem. going to get it looked at this week and get it fixed. I've been having this problem since around 10k miles, now at 20k.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
its warranty mine had the same issue and i heard a few others with similar problem. if its like mine was it would only do it when a certain mixture of engine speed and engagement pressure were applied.
it makes a howling soung that sounds just a little like a spring is loose. i hope that description is close.
take the car in and have them replace the clutch. my dealer replaced the whole thing, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and disk (though i suspect the problem was just the disk)
anyway i got a loaner and it took 2 days
That sounds like the same thing. Like you say, you have to get the engine revs and clutch pressure just right to hear it. It's not quite a scratchy sound and not quite a squeal, something in between.

I'll have it checked out.

Thanks to all for the comments.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Instructor

clutch problem

I have a similar issue. When I rev up the engine and let go of the gas and press the clutch, I hear a noise.

Did you get it checked? What was the problem? I suspect it's the throwout bearing.

I think I had this problem after I accidently switched from 3rd into 2nd intead of into 4th and my RPMs went into 8,000s just before I pressed the clutch again This was while going about 70 MPH, by the way. That's what I get for trying to show off...

Another side effect is that the idle is more rough (or so it seems) and when I press the clutch in idle it makes quiet noise.

Sucks to have a clutch problem on such a great car
Old 11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matvey
I have a similar issue. When I rev up the engine and let go of the gas and press the clutch, I hear a noise.

Did you get it checked? What was the problem? I suspect it's the throwout bearing.

I think I had this problem after I accidently switched from 3rd into 2nd intead of into 4th and my RPMs went into 8,000s just before I pressed the clutch again This was while going about 70 MPH, by the way. That's what I get for trying to show off...

Another side effect is that the idle is more rough (or so it seems) and when I press the clutch in idle it makes quiet noise.

Sucks to have a clutch problem on such a great car
Yup, your not alone:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30001