Clutch Pedal creaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Clutch Pedal creaking?

My TSX has 1300 miles on it, and I barely had it for 3 weeks. I'm starting to notice a creaking noise from the clutch pedal about a week ago. I can also feel it slightly as I press it down, about halfway down in movement. Has anyone notice this on their 6MT cars? I will take this in to the dealer soon if it doesn't go away on its own.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:23 AM
Kickstand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea...mine does it too...needs to be lubed up. You can go get a can of lithium grease and do it yourself or just take it to the dealer
Old 12-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Can't wait to drive

Yeah, I can do that. I have some lithium grease at home I can try. I'm just suprised that the car is so new but it's beginning to creak already I barely have it for 3 weeks.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:07 PM
VTECSTASY!

Mine does it as well. It started out as a "creaking" noise then gradually evolved into a distinct clicking. One click as you depress the pedal, and two clicks on the way back up. I had the dealer look at it... they said it's nothing big, but I need to have the clutch pedal replaced. They've had my clutch in for a couple weeks now but I havent had time to bring it in. Do you think lubricating it will solve the problem instead of replacing the whole thing???
Old 12-05-2003, 06:43 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
depends on what's creaking i guess. when i had mine brought in for the creaky clutch, they said they lubed it, but I still get the creaks every once in a while. Only problem is it only creaks when the weather's a bit warmer (> 15C), and since it's pretty much winter here now... (vancouver in winter, sunny? hah)

will probably have to wait till my next service in april before i get them to take a better look. it was fairly cold the day i had my car brought in, so they couldn't really hear/feel the problem.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Instructor

http://www.northcoasttuners.com/TSB/02-002.pdf
Old 05-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Mine does it, too. It's got only 380miles and had it for 10days.
Maybe I was in LA traffic, had to use clutch a lot.
I also feel the clutch got stiffer than brand new. Starting to hurt my leg in traffic.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:16 AM
k24
Banned

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX
Mine does it as well. It started out as a "creaking" noise then gradually evolved into a distinct clicking. One click as you depress the pedal, and two clicks on the way back up. I had the dealer look at it... they said it's nothing big, but I need to have the clutch pedal replaced. They've had my clutch in for a couple weeks now but I havent had time to bring it in. Do you think lubricating it will solve the problem instead of replacing the whole thing???
Same story over here with the european accord. (around 10000miles on it) The clutch pedal is making a click or two when pressing it down and clicking twice or three times on the way up. So if you guys find a way how to solve it, please share it with us.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Advanced

crawl under your dash and spray some white lithium grease in the hole where the push rod passes through, make sure you push the clutch in when doing this to create a bigger cavity for the grease....
Mine has been perfect ever since real smooth with no creaking at all
Old 05-10-2004, 11:00 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Just got my car back from service. Can't remember the exact words they used (service sheet is in the car), but they did something about lubing the push rod all the way to the master cylinder, and now the clutch is as smooth as can be. What a difference.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:22 AM
k24
Banned

Originally posted by BurnabyTSX
Just got my car back from service. Can't remember the exact words they used (service sheet is in the car), but they did something about lubing the push rod all the way to the master cylinder, and now the clutch is as smooth as can be. What a difference.
Would be nice if you could write here exaclty what the service sheet says they did.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:03 AM
10th Gear

clicking clutch / metal strip rattles / wind noise

I just turned 20,000 miles on my TSX and can say that all the rattles in the metal strip and the click in the clutch all seem to happen in hot weather (over 80 degrees).

I didn't hear a thing over the winter and now that the weather is warming up, the rattles have returned. It's only on really hot days though. I'll take the car in to have the clutch lubed. As for the metal strip, I'm still waiting for a dealer announcement. I don't want them to do anything without knowing what will really fix the problem.

Also, I have a slight whistle coming from my drivers-side window that only happens when there is a strong cross wind blowing at the drivers-side of the car. I had a really loud whistle at this window when I first bought the car a year ago and the dealer said the window strip was installed backwards at the factory. They reversed it and the loud whistle was gone. Now, this very slight whistle appears on very windy days. The dealership couldn't hear it when I brought the car in and I have only heard it a select few times since (the wind has to be blowing very strong at the drivers side for it to happen).

Overall, I am very happy with the TSX. The gas mileage is great and the 6MT is fun in the mountains.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:51 PM
A-TSX Oldie

yeah, the clutch squeaks/creaks in mine only happened in warmer weather too. And I've started noticing that the rubber surrounding the driver window is starting to creak/rattle again now that the weather is getting warmer. Although it is usually just when I first start up the car and it goes away after a short drive. Weird.

As for the fix for the clutch creak, here's the quote verbatim:

Cause: Found the push rod in the clutch m/c (master cylinder, I presume) is making noise when the pedal is depressed.

Correction: Lubed the end of the push rod.

Sounds exactly like the tsb that was posted by TypeTSX. On an unrelated note, the service sheet also said I have 80% front brake wear left, and 60% rear. Hmm. this at only 16,000km. What the hell.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:26 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Unhappy Creak update

So much for the lube job fixing it permanently. Only one week later, and I leave the car out in the sun for a couple of hours and the creaks have returned. Argh.

Wonder if it's something more serious. Not sure if I was imagining things, but when the clutch pedal was really smooth after the service, I could actually feel the clutch 'slipping' when launching in first. Now I usually lift the clutch up until the point where it begins to bite, then smoothly apply gas and off we go. But quite often over the past week, with or without VSA on, it felt like the gear was not grabbing properly - not sure if I'm describing it right - like the wheels would start rolling, then hesitate for a split second, then grab, then hesitate before the revs go up. Now that the creaks have come back, the clutch/gear has gone back to normal.

Wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them or any idea what caused it. Could be just hallucinations after having a smooth clutch for a few days of course
Old 06-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Racer

ugh mine just started squeaking today! is there a rock-solid fix yet since the lube didnt seem to last long?

I also have squeaks in both front doors, and cant pinpoint if its the whole door seal or window seal. its def just the seals though so im not too upset. im just hesitant on what type of lube is ok to put on them without making them get all stretched out and warped...
Old 06-30-2004, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

Don't bother with grease until it is checked out - see my post in clickin noise. Mine sounded similar and was a bad part. Post has part #.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ
crawl under your dash and spray some white lithium grease in the hole where the push rod passes through, make sure you push the clutch in when doing this to create a bigger cavity for the grease....
Mine has been perfect ever since real smooth with no creaking at all
Tried this and it worked! My clutch feels like new again.
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad to know that a tip from several years ago has benefited you drkangel
Old 06-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Just dial 1911

I need to do this. Do you get the white lithium grease in an auto store? Could you use Silicon?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Brought my 04 M6T into the dealer for the second time for this creaking/clicking problem. They lubed it up again, and seems to be smooth sailing again. They are also ordering the 8mm pin and lock and plan on replacing it on the clutch pedal. I am curious as to why there hasn't been a recall on the part to have it permanently fixed. Oh well...for now it works...