clicking clutch....again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clicking clutch....again....

My 2004 TSX currently has 20k miles on it. Around 14k, there was the clicking sound coming from my clutch. Anyone else have this problem?

I took it to the dealer and they supposedly replaced the flywheel. Problem went away for for a while and now it has returned again.

Is it the flywheel again? Why does this happen? My Integra didn't start making the sound until around 80k miles. I wonder if this is a problem with the earlier TSX models.

The clutch works fine, I have no slip. However, the sound is very annoying. Is there something I can do or do I have to take back to the dealer again?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Matell

Replaced the flywheel? Heck that sounds a little drastic.

I've had the same thing and they replaced the clutch switch that's either used for disconnecting the cruise control, or ensuring you have the clutch depressed to start the car seeing you've got a TSX. In my case the click is still there, but its very feint.

I fear the clicking noise is just going to come back more pronounced and when it does I'll push for the replacement of the clutch master cylinder TSB to be performed.

Have a search for " clutch noise" as it's been a topic many times on here.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem...
Sometimes it clicks...sometimes it doesn't...
Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 AM
04 remembrance

Yeah, same here. Sometimes clicks on 2nd, mostly on 3rd.

Around June / July of 2004, I took it to the dealer and they told me the synchros were nearly popping out, so they did a quick fix. A month after the fix, my "stick" was popping out of its position and I was unable to drive from 1st gear.

To sum things up quick, they had to rebuild my whole transmission and now it works fine however, I still hear the same clicking noise on 3rd gear, again.

Meh.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I had this for about 4000 miles and it went away, then came back briefly and is gone. I just noticed the other day it wasn't doing it. Can't complain
Old 04-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

I have the same problem. Was there for a while then went away, now its back. Not sure what the cause is, so I'll have to ask the dealer when I go for service again, or if anything else goes wrong.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Subie Tech

I started having this problem as well...but it'll some times go away and some times come back.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I found when I did have it, it only occured deep into depressing the clutch. the engagement point is high, so if you just do short clutch presses I avoided it.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I have a clicking sound, its the relay switch for the cruise control/ignition. Its a PITA and they have already changed it twice.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

My TSX has a tendency to do that too, but it only happens sometimes. Maybe I should get the dealer to take a look?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Instructor

I just took my TSX in for this problem. After approximately 5000 miles, with a lot of city type driving, it is clicking high on the clutch travel. Sometimes it isn't even noticeable, and at others times I can feel and hear a distinct click. It seems to get worse through the day. There is no TSB for this, but the service department called the Techline, and they recommended replacing the clutch master cylinder. The parts should come in soon. Since others have already had this done, with varying degrees of success, I hope it works for my car, since I don’t want to have to repeat this process every 5000 miles.

We'll see...
Old 04-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Mine does it intermittently.

The slower I depress the pedal, the more it does it. Passengers can hear it.

I can sort of feel it in the pedal, too.

I got in a argument with a service writer when he suggested that we go and test other cars on teh lot, because he felt it might be "normal".

This is my 5th car with a manual transmission, and all the manual I have had before have been Domestics, of far lesser quality than Acura, yet I get this crap from Acura. Never had clutch pedal noise on any other car, and service writer said "he thinks it's normal". If it's "normal", then Honda needs to send the engineers back for more schooling.

Bottom line is that this car has had way more problems than it should have, and it has gone back to the dealer way more times than it should have. The only saving grace is that they give me a loaner. If it wern't for the loaner, I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. Which is sad, because I really love driving it.

It's an Acura from cripes sake.

It still isn't fixed, because it has settled down a bit. Some days are worse than others. I am hoping it gets alot worse (or better), so I can either not get it fixed, or have a compelling argument, for the Servce Manager.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:43 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
mine had a crunchy/clicking feeling as well. i brought it in and they greased the joints and now it is smooth as butter again.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM
6th Gear

clicking sound??

i just recently got my tsx ... and i love it, however,my car isn't stick, but i do hear a clicking sound once in awhile especially when i turn ... anyone ever encountered the same problem?????
Old 04-24-2005, 11:21 AM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by jiggaman
mine had a crunchy/clicking feeling as well. i brought it in and they greased the joints and now it is smooth as butter again.
Greasing is so temporary though..
Old 04-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by iamhomin

so are oil changes, such is life. atleast my clutch doesn't click anymore
Old 04-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

mine went away on its own as well, didn't bother me too much in the first place
Old 04-27-2005, 03:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I've had my master cyl replaced, and also the relay switch and it still clicks like a mofo. Bringing it in again soon. Lube is temporary, I want the dam problem fixed permanently because I am not leasing this car.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by fdl
I've had my master cyl replaced, and also the relay switch and it still clicks like a mofo. Bringing it in again soon. Lube is temporary, I want the dam problem fixed permanently because I am not leasing this car.

i think you must have a different click then i did.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

i think you must have a different click then i did.

probably. Mine is loud and i can feel it in my foot through my shoes. Its a PITA. Between that and the rattles its hard to feel like I'm driving a "well oiled machine".
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by fdl
probably. Mine is loud and i can feel it in my foot through my shoes. Its a PITA. Between that and the rattles its hard to feel like I'm driving a "well oiled machine".

i hear ya man, that sucks. hope you find a solution for that.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:54 PM
04 remembrance

My point was that the "fixes" should not be temporary.

What does oil changes and life have to do with "temporary" anyway?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I spend 2 much time here

My point was that the "fixes" should not be temporary.

What does oil changes and life have to do with "temporary" anyway?

oil changes are the key to long life.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Racer

yes, i think there is two different problems and people are mixed up.
one fooman is talking about is the clutch it self. the actual clutch. this happens when you the clutch pedal is pressed(floored) and when the clutch is disengaged.

second one is the pedal itself, the clicking happens while pressing and i think thats the cruise control relay thing.

either way, i have both of the problems, but the second one isnt really a problem.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

You guys need to keep in mind that grease is not everlasting. The clutch pedal swings on a hinge or pivot of some sort and like all moving parts it needs to be lubed. Its kinda like your door hinges, if you dont lube them they will get all dry and will eventually start to creak. If you let it go for too long the hinge will then begin to seize and possibly break. Now I dont know that lack of lube is causing the problem in the first place as if it was I would not think it to be intermittent, but if that is indeed the case than occasionally peek under there and give it a squirt.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Well, I just returned from the Acura service, and they couldn't figure out what was the origin of the clicking sound. Since they had already replaced the master cylinder before, they didn't replace it again. I mentioned about the relay switch and they don't believe it is coming from that. They didn't bother putting any lube on it either. All they did was to remove the bracket or hinge that the clutch rests on since they said it looked "skewed" and put it back to neutral position and retorqued it. The service rep said it is slightly better, but there's still a click. I personally think I waited for 4 hours in the waiting room for nothing. It sounds just the same!!

They told me to go rent a car from Enterprise since they don't do loaners and leave my TSX in the shop for a couple of days so they could examine it some more. .................................................. ............................This sucks.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
clicking, grinding, slipping....damn, somehow I'm lucky there wasn't a 6mt at the time I got my car.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr.Fiddizzle
I'm glad I'm not the only with with this story. About two months ago, Acura replaced my clutch cylinder and relay switch, but it still clicks as annoying as ever. The tech said it's the relay switch, because when he took out the switch, he said it didn't click.

Then they said they would call Acura for the next step to see what to do. No word as of yet. Going in to get a oil change Friday and see if there's anything else they can do about the clicking noise.

As for the comment about it not really being a problem....it's definitely is a design problem. How can Acura mess up something so simple as having the clutch not click?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

My clutch was clicking while be pressed and depressed slowly. I brought it to the dealer 4 times. The first time they lubed it no change, 2nd time the say the adjusted it because it was hitting a cylinder. 3rd time they took it apart Still no change. Funny thing is that every time they touch it, it goes away temporarily . $ th time they had to order a MASTER CLUTHC CYLINDER. 2 weeks now an it is quiet. Now I have to pin port rattling sounds somewhere on top on the passenger door
Old 05-26-2005, 10:05 PM
7th Gear

Is it possible just to remove the relay for the Cruise Control shut off? How many people actually push in their clutch while using the CC?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 PM
7th Gear

Bump, I had my clutch master cylinder replaced about 5k miles ago, now the clicking is back when I push the clutch in or let it out.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Racer

theres a post on here 'tsbs! tsbs!' where i put an accord tsb in for a clicking clutch. check it out and see if it might be your issue?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Faster, please.

I've had the same problem for a little while now. I just picked my car up from service today after bringing it in for inspection, oil change, and the clutch click. The guy said they lubed it and adjusted the height on it. It clicked as I was driving off the lot and the whole way home. I picked it up after the technicians had left so I'll wait until tomorrow to call them, but this seems like a pretty shitty, un-fixable problem. It annoys the hell out of me!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Advanced

recently I also hear click noise from my gas pedal. I drive AT. Whenever I break and tab on the gas pedal, it makes that "click" sound, which annoys the **** out of me. Is this normal? I am not even sure if I had that before. Now, I am conscious about the noise and it is killing me.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Well, I left my car at the dealer for a few days for them to pinpoint the source of the problem. They also called the Acura tech-line for advice and after trying all sorts of stuff, they are going to just replace the master cylinder again.

I have a feeling it will come back again after a few thousand miles, just like last time. Unless last time, they replaced it with a faulty master cylinder. Here's hoping for the best this time around.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
i want my nuku nuku futon

is this clutch clicking problem only found in the earlier 2004 models? or is this problem still there for the 2005? weird...
Old 06-15-2005, 10:47 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gundamZZ
is this clutch clicking problem only found in the earlier 2004 models? or is this problem still there for the 2005? weird...
Still in the '05. My car has had its master clutch cylinder replaced and the cruise switch replaced. Neither fixed the clutch click. It sucks. I'm living with the click right now. Dealer says Acura has given no more info to them about it....
Old 06-15-2005, 11:13 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

They all click to a certain extent, 2004, 2005, doesnt matter. Its annoying but I have been told its normal. What isnt normal is when the clicking becomes very loud and you can even feel it in your foot. That is the MCC, which has been poorly designed.

I have been told that there is a newer design for the MCC that addresses the problem. I had mine replaced about 1 month ago and it seems to be holding up. I still hear clicking, but its not as loud and I dont feel anything in my left foot.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

I have an '04 6MT with just under 7k miles on it and I just had my clutch pedal assembly replaced for what seems to be the same problem some of you guys are having. I was getting a kind of clicking crunching sound under my foot at the very bottom and very top of the clutch travel, you could hear and feel it. The pedal was also kind of loose from side to side. It seems to be better now, there is no excessive side play and the sound is gone. Is this the same thing you guys are referring to? I also used to have a slight grind into 2nd, but that seems to have gone away since the weather has gotten warmer.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Mine has had it for a long time now, but its only at the bottom of the clutch travel. If you drive properly you never even reach the range where it clicks so I could care less about it. For those w/ it at the top, sucks to be you

Quick Reply: clicking clutch....again....