Clear Bra for fog lights...uh oh!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 10:27 AM
TechLedr

So no one has an aftermarket replacement for the fog lamp assemblies that would maybe we less likely to get chipped?

Also, I read some have put yellow lamps in theirs, would that be maybe cooler?
Old 11-15-2004 | 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Haven't tried to remove the old ones yet. Still thinking of a way to install some kind of screen over the lights or maybe drilling small holes on top and bottom of the foglight housing for ventilation/cooling. I have two cracked lights I replaced to use as test subjects.

When I do try and remove the Xpel covers I'll start with a hair dryer or heating gun (paint remover), scrapping razor, and the water/alcohol mixture (same used when installing). Whatever I do will involve removing the light first.
Old 11-15-2004 | 10:44 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

what's with all these old thread being resurrected?
Old 11-15-2004 | 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dzuy
n00bs are searching!
Old 11-15-2004 | 11:10 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by dzuy
I kinda of point people to older/related threads from time to time. Cuts down on multiple threads talking about the same thing, and focuses the discussion on one thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...44&postcount=3
Old 11-15-2004 | 01:18 PM
Race Director

Looks kinda cool
Old 11-28-2004 | 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nshom
Haven't tried to remove the old ones yet. Still thinking of a way to install some kind of screen over the lights or maybe drilling small holes on top and bottom of the foglight housing for ventilation/cooling. I have two cracked lights I replaced to use as test subjects.

When I do try and remove the Xpel covers I'll start with a hair dryer or heating gun (paint remover), scrapping razor, and the water/alcohol mixture (same used when installing). Whatever I do will involve removing the light first.
Finally got around to solving (I hope) the foglight protector issue. I first drilled four holes (two top and two bottom) as shown in the frame.

I cut a piece of gutter guard to fit the frame

Four black cable ties are insted into the frame

Attach screen using cable ties

Finished frame

Foglight with burnt protector

Remove frame from foglight

Reinstalled foglight and finished frame

Front View (lights off)

Front View (lights on)

If you try this just be carefull because the screen's cut edges are very sharp. As you can see I also installed the screen in the upper and lower grill openings.
Old 11-28-2004 | 05:02 PM
CG is the place to be...

Nice work!!! that looks really good. I am not getting fog lights on my car, but i do like the look of the screeen behind the upper and lower openings. Where did you get the screen and how much did it cost??
Old 11-28-2004 | 05:25 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

nshom, nice work!!

but make sure the tie wraps don't melt b/c that will scratch the fogs. i like the engine bay mods
Old 11-28-2004 | 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knthornt
Nice work!!! that looks really good. I am not getting fog lights on my car, but i do like the look of the screeen behind the upper and lower openings. Where did you get the screen and how much did it cost??
Home Depot for around $6 (US). The package contained 4 or 5 pieces (not sure) of which I used 2.
Old 11-28-2004 | 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mg7726
nshom, nice work!!

but make sure the tie wraps don't melt b/c that will scratch the fogs. i like the engine bay mods
I forgot to mention the reason I removed the frame around the foglight is so nothing actually touches the foglight lens. There's about 1/8" of space between the lens and the screen.
Old 11-28-2004 | 08:40 PM
Race Director

on that screen mod
Old 11-28-2004 | 09:57 PM
Old fart

that looks pretty sweeet!!
Old 11-29-2004 | 08:22 AM
Quattro in.....

Nice mod!
Old 11-29-2004 | 01:10 PM
TechLedr

I might try it using stainless steel wire instead of cableties, to minimize a chance of melting.. Its a real pain to take these units out!
Old 11-30-2004 | 07:38 PM
TechLedr

My Home Depot (Houston) had two types, Galvanized Steel or Aluminum. They were selling the Gal/Steel ones separately for $1.40

I assume you were using the steel product?

Home Depot for around $6 (US). The package contained 4 or 5 pieces (not sure) of which I used 2.
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asulak01
My Home Depot (Houston) had two types, Galvanized Steel or Aluminum. They were selling the Gal/Steel ones separately for $1.40

I assume you were using the steel product?

Yes and it came with 4 pieces. I used two pieces for the entire front end. Just be careful the edges are very sharp. I have the cuts to prove it.
Old 12-01-2004 | 04:06 PM
TechLedr

Yes and it came with 4 pieces. I used two pieces for the entire front end. Just be careful the edges are very sharp. I have the cuts to prove it.
I'm thinking about putting a convex shape on the metal fabric prior to mounting, by putting in a large bowl of some kind and rolling/pressing it with some kind of rubber/leather mallet or something, anything to get a little more clearance between the metal fabric and the front of the foglight lens. Do you think it's necessary?
Old 12-01-2004 | 06:53 PM
Intermediate

I'm thinking about putting a convex shape on the metal fabric prior to mounting, by putting in a large bowl of some kind and rolling/pressing it with some kind of rubber/leather mallet or something, anything to get a little more clearance between the metal fabric and the front of the foglight lens. Do you think it's necessary?
Not a bad idea. There's about an eighth of an inch of space between the lens and the screen. I removed the frame around the light housing so nothing physically touches the lens. I think the concern was the possible melting of the cable ties I used to attach the screen to the frame. I'll have to keep an eye on them. If they do melt I'll post it.
Old 12-02-2004 | 08:43 PM
CG is the place to be...

nshom, how hard it is to install the mesh behind the grille? Wondering if it less involved than the fog lights?
Old 12-02-2004 | 09:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knthornt
nshom, how hard it is to install the mesh behind the grille? Wondering if it less involved than the fog lights?
The front bumper cover has to be removed just like the installing the foglights. The mesh has to be cut to size and shape using a pair of sheet metal shears. Holes have to be drilled in the appropriate places. Mesh is attached using cable ties. Bumper cover reinstalled. It took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours which included the foglight screens.
Old 12-03-2004 | 01:36 PM
CG is the place to be...

The front bumper cover has to be removed just like the installing the foglights. The mesh has to be cut to size and shape using a pair of sheet metal shears. Holes have to be drilled in the appropriate places. Mesh is attached using cable ties. Bumper cover reinstalled. It took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours which included the foglight screens.

Thakns for the info... i will have to look into this. I love the look of that mesh!!
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:44 PM
TechLedr

Modified foglamp protection

I'm thinking about putting a convex shape on the metal fabric prior to mounting, by putting in a large bowl of some kind and rolling/pressing it with some kind of rubber/leather mallet or something, anything to get a little more clearance between the metal fabric and the front of the foglight lens.
OK, I installed the wire mesh (gutterguard) in much the same way, but I did leave the material a little larger, and once I had it fitted, I "Pressed" it from the inside out to form a nice concave shape. This gave it a good look, and also allowed for addl space between the wire mesh and the lamp assembly. See the attached photos.

-

-

-

Also, here is a pic of just the wire mesh after it was formed.

Old 12-14-2004 | 11:09 PM
Old fart

I wonder how hot that wire mesh is gonna be...and if it'll melt your zipties... Have you tried them on yet?
Old 12-15-2004 | 08:14 AM
TechLedr

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I wonder how hot that wire mesh is gonna be...and if it'll melt your zipties... Have you tried them on yet?
Ran it for an hour this morning, however, it was cool (32F) this morning.. They are about 1/8 away, and the grill is only warm to touch. If the cableties are a problem, I will use stainless steel wire instead.
Old 12-15-2004 | 08:52 AM
Old fart

Ran it for an hour this morning, however, it was cool (32F) this morning.. They are about 1/8 away, and the grill is only warm to touch. If the cableties are a problem, I will use stainless steel wire instead.
Old 12-21-2004 | 06:32 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Looks good -I think I will do this thanks for sharing!
Old 01-14-2005 | 03:24 PM
Pro

I finally went to a honda dealer and bought the fog kit for the Honda Accord. They gave it to me at the same price I would have paid if I had ordered just the two replacement fog light assemblies! Anyways...I tried to take my fogs out today but it looks like I have to remove the bumper to get to them. How do you guys take them out? It's like 20 degrees out there and so I decided to quit for another day.
Old 01-14-2005 | 03:58 PM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by TSX7
I finally went to a honda dealer and bought the fog kit for the Honda Accord. They gave it to me at the same price I would have paid if I had ordered just the two replacement fog light assemblies! Anyways...I tried to take my fogs out today but it looks like I have to remove the bumper to get to them. How do you guys take them out? It's like 20 degrees out there and so I decided to quit for another day.
You already have it installed and only have to take the fog light out right, like when you have to change the light bulb? This link might help it looks like there are only two screws that secure the fog light.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12
Old 01-14-2005 | 04:07 PM
Pro

Thanks Viking but I already have that instruction manual. The bottom screw is easy to get at but the one on the side......I can't see where the screw is! It looks so easy but when it's -6 C outside, it's a whole new story.
Old 01-15-2005 | 09:01 AM
Pro

I also have the same problem with mine. I purchased them from WeatherTech.com and they said they would get back to me after they speak to XPEL who manufactures them. They also asked if I use high intensity bulbs instead of the normal bulbs and I told them normal. What type of bulbs are you guys using who have this problem?
What does the lamp kit that you bought from weathertech.com come with?

http://weathertech.com/store/vehsear...pt_choice_id=0

Just the films for the head lights and fog light?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2005 | 11:37 AM
I slow down for COPS

PVC vs. urethane

the 40 mil protection they are selling is not a urethane like they say (i am pretty sure). urethane comes only up to 18 mil and will withstand more heat then the 40 mil PVC.

i think that is the problem you are referring to. some of the lights generate too much heat for the PVC to handle it. the urethane film would be fine and will give you the same protection than thicker PVC.

if you need the light kits let me know, i can help.

good luck
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
the 40 mil protection they are selling is not a urethane like they say (i am pretty sure). urethane comes only up to 18 mil and will withstand more heat then the 40 mil PVC.

i think that is the problem you are referring to. some of the lights generate too much heat for the PVC to handle it. the urethane film would be fine and will give you the same protection than thicker PVC.

if you need the light kits let me know, i can help.

good luck
How much do these 3m urethane lamp guards for the TSX cost? Where can I order these? Are there any stores in Canada that sell these or do I have to order it online?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005 | 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Did it require removing the front bumper to place the mesh in the foglight area? I just purchased my car and am not fond of removing the bumper myself. If it's possible, yet more difficult, to do with everything intact, i would rather do it that way.
Old 03-11-2005 | 03:33 AM
WOOT!

Originally Posted by khaoohs
Did it require removing the front bumper to place the mesh in the foglight area? I just purchased my car and am not fond of removing the bumper myself. If it's possible, yet more difficult, to do with everything intact, i would rather do it that way.

don't think so....cause you can remove the foglight housing by removing 2 screws from each foglight. 1 of the screws is on the bottom, and the 2nd is on the side that's closer to the center of the car. you'll need a long magnetic phillips. you can remove the screws w/o using a magnetic screw driver, but putting them back in will be PITA.
Old 05-05-2005 | 11:00 PM
Instructor

Oh man....just spent, literally, 6 hours changing 1 fog light!! omfg...i'm such a

Took the entire bumper off...removed the fog light housing...replaced the old with the new (old got shattered by a rock on the highway ) ...assembled back in 1 piece with only 1 clip that i have no clue where it goes. Haha! Not too worried about it b/c I know it's a clip that doesn't play a critical role in the secured assembly of the bumper...

Anywho...what a learning experience. I think i'll give it another whirl tomorrow!

Tomorrow I'm getting the clear bra and clear headlight/fog light film installed. Bought the film from RockBlocker...hopefully it won't brown on me. If it does...i may have to take it all back off and do the mesh grille. I really like that
Old 06-20-2006 | 12:31 PM
1st Gear

NSHOM - how about those cable ties?

Nshom,

It seems you have had the grille/mesh installed for over a year now with the cable ties. Can you give us an update about how they are holding on...I guess they are good enough and did not melt. So, no need to use the metal wire instead?

Separately, any idea where i could get the black screen/mesh instead of the metal/silver looking one?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:41 AM
Instructor

I know, "Holy thread revival," but I just gotta ask: Is it possible to mesh the same way in an 06? I haven't heard of many 06 people who took out their foglights since it's integrated anyways. Any ideas? Don't wanna take off the whole bumper
Old 09-08-2006 | 08:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevaspb
Nshom,

It seems you have had the grille/mesh installed for over a year now with the cable ties. Can you give us an update about how they are holding on...I guess they are good enough and did not melt. So, no need to use the metal wire instead?

Separately, any idea where i could get the black screen/mesh instead of the metal/silver looking one?

Thanks
Sorry but I haven't visited this site for a while.

The mesh is holding up fine with the plastic cable ties however I suggest painting the mesh silver before putting them on. The unpainted gutter mesh darkened over time. I plan on reinstalling the mesh but painting it first.

As for the black mesh I installed it on my 2005 Honda Odyssey to protect the radiator. The mesh is plastic and sold in rolls at Home Depot for less than $10. It's not as stiff as the metal mesh and since the mesh is very close to the lens (on the TSX) it may not protect the lens from debris as well as the metal mesh.
Old 01-27-2007 | 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fadinglionhart
I know, "Holy thread revival," but I just gotta ask: Is it possible to mesh the same way in an 06? I haven't heard of many 06 people who took out their foglights since it's integrated anyways. Any ideas? Don't wanna take off the whole bumper
i would like to know this as well. i suppose tomorrow i'll try to investigate this on my car. if i can get some mesh in there, i'm headed straight to home depot. one of my lenses is already cracked, but if i cover it with mesh, hopefully i would begin to forget about it

Quick Reply: Clear Bra for fog lights...uh oh!!