Center dash knocking/rattle noise - FIXED (possibly)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Center dash knocking/rattle noise - FIXED (possibly)

For those of you has the annoying knocking noise in the center dash, this might be worth a try...

I've had this noise in my car since it was about 3-5k miles old back in 2003. It sounds like a muffled knocking noise, seemingly coming from behind the storage compartments under the HVAC/stereo. I've tried many times taking out those compartments, and then pressing around on things and check for loose screws and metal rubbing like other threads suggested (which worked for some folks), but to no available.

Finally, a couple of days ago as I was cleaning the engine compartment, I was cleaning the top of the radiator and I happened to shake a bit (since there is some play in the fitting by design). I heard a very very similar noise that I was hearing from the cabin, what appeared to be a plastic knocking on plastic noise. I shook it ago and I discovered that the noise was actually coming from the radiator overflow reservour.

The fix (you can basically skip everything I wrote before this.. ):

The noise is coming from the stub on the bottom of the coolant overflow tank, knocking on the plastic support that is a part of the radiator (which is hard to see ). You can shake the radiator or the coolant overflow tank to confirm that there is a knocking noise. I did a simple fix by pulling a long piece of electrical tape, rolled it up with the sticky side out, and folded it in half. I then wedged it in between the very bottom of the overflow tank and the plastic support (part of radiator fan assembly). Haven't had the rattling/knocking so far!

I don't have any pics, and it's actually in a pretty tight spot so it's really hard to take pics, but I think you guys get the idea.........
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in Dash

Also see my post. There is a very common rattle from the CD changer mount
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...12&postcount=5
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eo11
Also see my post. There is a very common rattle from the CD changer mount
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...12&postcount=5

Thanks, I've already read your thread from before, and I've tried to press around with the storage compartment removed even before that, and that wasn't the cause of the rattle for me...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 AM
got cgp?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I have this even on my 07