CD player sporadically failing to read CDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD player sporadically failing to read CDs

I have a 2004 Acura. I've had problems for months with the CD player sporadically and unpredictably having problems reading audio CDs (commercially produced, not home-burned). One day it will read a track fine, the next day it might have trouble reading the same track. I can hear it starting to search, and sometimes I can fix the problem by backing it up a few seconds.

Acura service claims the problem was my CD, though they were unable to reproduce the problem. But it played fine in two other car CD players I tried it in. Problem seems worse on hot days, and after I have been playing CDs for more than 30 minutes. Eventually it can't read the CD at all and rejects the disk. Because

Anyone else experienced the same problem? Any solution?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Kage Bunshin!

I also have that same problem.

I get the "Disc Error" text on the cd player. I have no idea why or what to do. I usually just eject and re-insert the disc.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Drifting

mine occasionally "spits" the cd back out-i have found that it does it with cds that have heavy grahics on them or a thicker surface
Old 07-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys .. i'm going through that right now. only way to fix the problem to hear music again is to switch cd, eject and reload, or turn off the radio and turn back.

Dealer will not do anything if u have a burn cd in it. You should head straight to dealer once u see the "DISC" error msg show up. They'll confirm it and will order a new radio for you. They will then test ur current one to see if they can fix it. If not .. then they will replace.
Once replaced and you get ur car bak .. make sure al lthe lights button turn on.

Been to the dealer 4 times now to get this "DISC" error fixed. The radio just got replaced yesterday after 4 months of annoyance. only to be stuck with a radio without lights for the buttons.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

Smile I think I can finally prove to them I have a problem

I already got the "burned CDs" and "paper labels" run-around (never mind they play fine in my friend's $100 Sony car audio system). I've had several that will play a track fine one day, and then not play it the next day (I can hear it starting to seek before it fails). Sometimes if I back it up a few seconds before it fails, it will correct itself (servo problem?)

Anyway, I've got a CD that seems to fail on the same track every time, though plays fine on other car CD players. So I"m gong to the dealership this evening to try it in one of their floor models. If it works in the foor model, then I've finallly got the proof I need to show them that there IS a problem. I'm prepared for a battle though. It's a shame - it's not the service experience I expected from Acura.

Thanks for all your feedback!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you shouldnt bother with using it on their floor model. Once u get that "DISC" error .. just bring ur car in with the "DISC" error shown on the radio. Once you get to dealer .. have service rep AND service techician verify that the see the "DISC" error on your radio. and then eject ur cd to prove to them that it's a store bought cd (not CD-R) and that it's dirt/lint/scratch free. That's the process i went through to get my radio replaced.