Car's computer says engine was over-reved-Dealer is voiding ptrain warranty, HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 04:19 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car's computer says engine was over-reved-Dealer is voiding ptrain warranty, HELP!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS POST TO A DIFFERENT FORUM... I NEED THE EXPOSURE, I NEED HELP!

Big problem, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I need help and opinions ASAP!

My car has a big problem with the common clicking sound that can be heard on the clutch. I took the car to the dealership for this problem, knowing full well that this would be a common thing that they should be familiar with.

That post explaining that problem can be found here...

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7248

The guy told me that the number one problem is that the tech put the car on the computer and found that the engine was overreved and that as a result they would not cover it, that it was 'raced' ~ (whatever). I do remember the instance that this happened, it was an accident. (my mishift) - The car was fine, nothing happened, I know that it couldn't be good for it, but it runs fine I never noticed a difference in it. This 'clicking' sound from the clutch was happening way before that incident, and it continued just as much no more no less since then. At first my svc manager told me that the tech didn't hear any kind of clicking on the transmission and therefore didn't even check into it. When I explained to him about the forum and the large post about the clicking sound and the problem. He made it very clear to me that because of the ECU saying the engine was over-reved, no matter what they couldn't do anything and it wouldn't be covered underwarranty. Needless to say I was irate. He went and talked to the tech at that point who said he now noticed the clicking sound on the clutch as he was reversing my car out of the shop. He went on to say that it doesn't matter beacuse if it is the clutch, the part isnt covered under warranty. What he was saying to me is that beacuse the engine was over-reved once well over 2 months ago (with no effect on how the car was ran) that basically any warranty on my powertrain is now null/void. Don't let anyone fool you and tell you that mods on your car doesn't mean anything at the dealership unless they can prove it. I garuntee you they saw the rims, they saw the TV, they knew I was 19, saw that one over-rev and its all downhill from there. The car is just a little over a year old, runs excellent with the exception of that clicking sound, its only got 30k miles on it. I NEED MY WARRANTY, and I NEED this clicking fixed!

I NEED opinions, suggestions, ANYTHING, I'm despirate for help! PLEASE!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is if you can prove that the clicking was happening before the mis-shift happenned, then maybe you could have a case going for you. But an over-rev is an over-rev, and I pretty much doubt you'll be able to do anything about it.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
1) Shop dealers
2) Call Acura

The reason that dealer mechanics and service writers have a built-in incentive to disqualify warranty items is this:

They get paid on commission, and Acura only pays 75% of labor cost on warranty items. They get paid better when you are paying the "customer-pay" rate than when Acura is paying them for warranty work.

So... try other dealers first. If you can't get satisfaction that way, call Acura. If you don't listen to me and you call Acura FIRST, do NOT give them your VIN number on the phone!

Your Service Manger (and his /her peeps) get a bonus for Customer Satisfaction Ratings. If you make it politely clear to them that you are talking to American Honda/Acura, they may switch positions.

When I called American Honda about my Honda dealer lying to me, the service manager called me THAT AFTERNOON to get things straightened out.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 PM

So is the over-rev that big of a oh shit you car is f'ed? I can't imagine that no one has ever owned a manual car has never over-reved thier engine at one point or another.... If I went in to them with a problem of the motor burning oil or osmething I could say soemthing about that... but the car runs fine, there aren't any problems with it... only problem... the clicking on the clutch. Can anyone say to me that everyone with the problem in the above mentioned post has over-reved thier engine?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by elduderino
1) Shop dealers
2) Call Acura

The reason that dealer mechanics and service writers have a built-in incentive to disqualify warranty items is this:

They get paid on commission, and Acura only pays 75% of labor cost on warranty items. They get paid better when you are paying the "customer-pay" rate than when Acura is paying them for warranty work.

So... try other dealers first. If you can't get satisfaction that way, call Acura. If you don't listen to me and you call Acura FIRST, do NOT give them your VIN number on the phone!

Your Service Manger (and his /her peeps) get a bonus for Customer Satisfaction Ratings. If you make it politely clear to them that you are talking to American Honda/Acura, they may switch positions.

When I called American Honda about my Honda dealer lying to me, the service manager called me THAT AFTERNOON to get things straightened out.

How do you go about shopping dealerships? Do I call and tell them the problem? Do I just take the car in and wait to see if they find anything? How would you suggest that?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why... is there a central database that any Acura dealer could consult?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
04 remembrance

Hm, this is a first.

And sauceman, if I recall correctly, didn't you mis-shift pretty violently as well? If so, do you hear the infamous clicking noise?

I don't know 97Acuracl, you should definitely get Honda involved or talk to someone that knows a lot about cars. I hate to expose his popularity, but Kurt_Bradley is a consultant @ some dealership in Texas, ask him for help.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nope, car runs as smooth as new.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by sauceman
My guess is if you can prove that the clicking was happening before the mis-shift happenned, then maybe you could have a case going for you. But an over-rev is an over-rev, and I pretty much doubt you'll be able to do anything about it.
So heres another question then, is there anyway to prove whether or not that mis-shift actually hurt something? The car doesn't run any differently, there aren't any problems with the car. It doesn't burn oil, it doesn't smoke, it runs just as quick as ever. When I took it in for this clicking sound it never even ran across my mind that that mishift would be called into play... when it happened i was like 'OH shit' for a few seconds, realized that everything still ran fine... no problems... and I totally forgot about it till today (with the exception that i knew i couldn't let that ever happen again)

I mean I just can't belive, that that one little mishap that as far as I can tell, didn't cause any damage has just fucked over my whole powertrain warranty.

Like I said I could understand if for some reason the car started smoking since then... then shit what I did screwed it up majorly, but I dont see that this caused it at all. I dont even know why I'm allowing this to cross my mind as the problem, I KNOW FOR SURE the clicking was there way before that misshift!

God i'm fucked... keep piling on the advice please...
Old 07-28-2004, 05:27 PM

SO DOES MINE! (except for the clutch clicking)

I wonder, if you were to get your 'ecu' checked out if it would also show that over-rev... you may no-longer have a powertrain warranty either my friend.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:37 PM
04 remembrance

Your best bet is switching dealers.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iamhomin
Your best bet is switching dealers.
or, maybe, switch ecu's
Old 07-28-2004, 05:40 PM
04 remembrance

Problem solved!

Seriously though, best of luck to you!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Racer

so the clicking sound is not normal???
Old 07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
A-TSX enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
My car has a big problem with the common clicking sound that can be heard on the clutch.
is your problem bigger than the clicking sound? or is it just the clicking sound?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by grizza41
is your problem bigger than the clicking sound? or is it just the clicking sound?
sorry if i made it sound worse than it is; right now my biggest issue is that he's basically telling my my warranty is gone.

the only issue is the clicking problem. I know the clutch isn't burnt out, the car runs smoothly, there isn't any issues with it as far as I can tell. Just that clicking sound when I let off the clutch. A lotta people on the board have stated that its a problem that can be fixed with lubrication... etc... but supposedly the fact that the car was over-reved, means that lubrication is no fucking longer covered under warranty?!!?

Does anyone have any good experiences with dealers in florda? First time I've ever taken it to Rick Case. Anyone have any other good experiences in FL?

My boss actually is really good friends with a guy in service at Del Ray Acura, I'm hoping he maybe able to do something for me, but I dont know if I should come clean and explain to the guy about the over-reving? Or should I just leave that alone and see if he bothers to check the ECU?

Speaking of ECU, is there a way to erase records on that ECU? I've got a lotta friends in the service dept of a Honda dealership in Orlando, I haven't gotten a chance to get in touch with them to see if its even possible, but hell give them a couple bucks under the table to erase that record is sure as hell cheaper than having to pay for any issues that may come up now that I have no warranty. Is erasing shit on it even possible?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro

hmm weird if he is right then sauceman your warranty should've also been voided also right?? but i remember you saying in another thread that you recently took the car in to get all the little problems fixed before the warranty ran out??
Old 07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro

PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS POST TO A DIFFERENT FORUM... I NEED THE EXPOSURE, I NEED HELP!

Big problem, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I need help and opinions ASAP!

My car has a big problem with the common clicking sound that can be heard on the clutch. I took the car to the dealership for this problem, knowing full well that this would be a common thing that they should be familiar with.

That post explaining that problem can be found here...

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7248

The guy told me that the number one problem is that the tech put the car on the computer and found that the engine was overreved and that as a result they would not cover it, that it was 'raced' ~ (whatever). I do remember the instance that this happened, it was an accident. (my mishift) - The car was fine, nothing happened, I know that it couldn't be good for it, but it runs fine I never noticed a difference in it. This 'clicking' sound from the clutch was happening way before that incident, and it continued just as much no more no less since then. At first my svc manager told me that the tech didn't hear any kind of clicking on the transmission and therefore didn't even check into it. When I explained to him about the forum and the large post about the clicking sound and the problem. He made it very clear to me that because of the ECU saying the engine was over-reved, no matter what they couldn't do anything and it wouldn't be covered underwarranty. Needless to say I was irate. He went and talked to the tech at that point who said he now noticed the clicking sound on the clutch as he was reversing my car out of the shop. He went on to say that it doesn't matter beacuse if it is the clutch, the part isnt covered under warranty. What he was saying to me is that beacuse the engine was over-reved once well over 2 months ago (with no effect on how the car was ran) that basically any warranty on my powertrain is now null/void. Don't let anyone fool you and tell you that mods on your car doesn't mean anything at the dealership unless they can prove it. I garuntee you they saw the rims, they saw the TV, they knew I was 19, saw that one over-rev and its all downhill from there. The car is just a little over a year old, runs excellent with the exception of that clicking sound, its only got 30k miles on it. I NEED MY WARRANTY, and I NEED this clicking fixed!

I NEED opinions, suggestions, ANYTHING, I'm despirate for help! PLEASE!
hmm i can suggest you finding someone who knows about tsx's and get them to reset the ecu computer on your car. then take your car to another dealer and see what happenes
Old 07-28-2004, 08:08 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, now that the trouble codes have been checked, the scan tool may have already cleared them. If you go to another dealer the overrev trouble code might already be gone!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Keeping emos out of

So is the over-rev that big of a oh shit you car is f'ed? I can't imagine that no one has ever owned a manual car has never over-reved thier engine at one point or another.... If I went in to them with a problem of the motor burning oil or osmething I could say soemthing about that... but the car runs fine, there aren't any problems with it... only problem... the clicking on the clutch. Can anyone say to me that everyone with the problem in the above mentioned post has over-reved thier engine?
Sorry to be a noob, but what is an over-rev? Is that when you go past redline?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro

Actually, now that the trouble codes have been checked, the scan tool may have already cleared them. If you go to another dealer the overrev trouble code might already be gone!
ya but its better to make sure that the codes are gone, instead of gettin the same story at another dealer
Old 07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by goose25
Sorry to be a noob, but what is an over-rev? Is that when you go past redline?
correct. 8400 rpm = over rev on tsx
Old 07-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Instructor

The diagnostic trouble codes are written to non volatile ram and must be overwritten to be cleared. You can clear those codes with a pc based ODBII diagnostic tool OR Look in the phone book for a mechanic who specializes in hondas, they should have the diagnostic tools which could help you with clearing the status codes.
By the way, what type of proof of this did they show you ?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:24 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only problem is that the dealership might've put a note under the cars vin in the database. Go to a different dealership and ask them to check service bullitens on the clutch creak. I'm sure they know its a common problem. DONT give them your car until after they check. Then see what happens after they offer to fix it.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by toddstuh
The diagnostic trouble codes are written to non volatile ram and must be overwritten to be cleared. You can clear those codes with a pc based ODBII diagnostic tool OR Look in the phone book for a mechanic who specializes in hondas, they should have the diagnostic tools which could help you with clearing the status codes.
Only thing is my reciept stating that the computer said it went to 8436RPM or something like that @ 96mph. Which sounds feasable to me if its the time I was on Aligator Alley headed back up to tampa. I know 96mph sounds crazy. But you'd only understand if you've ever been on that stretch of road... Absolutly nothing around on a str8 road for about a full hour. Common minimum speed is around 85ish, I remember it now, I was in 6th and was upshifting to 5th to pass something, and think somehow i missed and went into 3th, I caught it and hit the clutch before I thought it blew anything, but I guess it still made it to just shy of 8500rpm, barely made it over wehre the computer recorded it.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by toddstuh
Would the honda dealership have this capability? I could probably pay them to get the shit on the computer for me there to see if its still there, and if so, find a way to clear it... I was just worred that its one of those things thats written in stone.

How would I be able to find out if they put something in the VIN's database or whatever it is that tony4311 is refering to?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:41 PM
I am Ahab!

call them and ask?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

I am new to the TSX, I have had mine for about 3 months so forgive me for my supidity. But does the TSX have a rev limiter? I assumed all new cars for the most part have them. Thanks for any info.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tony4311
call them and ask?

Would that tip them off into actually going and putting something in the registry if they have not?
Old 07-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So heres another question then, is there anyway to prove whether or not that mis-shift actually hurt something? The car doesn't run any differently, there aren't any problems with the car. It doesn't burn oil, it doesn't smoke, it runs just as quick as ever.
I got a compression test done on mine. That sort of test would reveal a hurt valve, if valve float had occured, and a piston had slapped a valve. But there could be damages elsewhere lower down in the engine. Like the rods, or even the cranshaft. But what's tricky there is I don't believe there are actually tests to know if damages was sustained. And the damage could only be micro-fissures, but could still shorten the life of the engine big time.

So I think it would be really hard to prove that unless you completely open up the engine, and even then, there could be basis for a good argument. Honestly, I think you're screwed.

I wonder, if you were to get your 'ecu' checked out if it would also show that over-rev... you may no-longer have a powertrain warranty either my friend.
That's not a problem for me, the powertrain warranty is over anyway in about 1000km, and the compression test showed me nice results. (160-160-165-160)

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10941

Originally Posted by ks112
hmm weird if he is right then sauceman your warranty should've also been voided also right?? but i remember you saying in another thread that you recently took the car in to get all the little problems fixed before the warranty ran out??
Yes, but that was on the bumper-to-bumper warranty that ended at 60,000km. The powertrain warranty lasts until 100,000km, but I'm almost there.

So, even if my warranty was voided, it wouldn't matter since it has expired anyway.

97AcuraCL, at 96mph, you slammed it back in 3rd. I slammed it back in 2nd from 3rd, at a slower speed, but I saw the needle jump up to around 8500 as well. I'd be curious to know the exact numbering on this as well.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by coma4by
I am new to the TSX, I have had mine for about 3 months so forgive me for my supidity. But does the TSX have a rev limiter? I assumed all new cars for the most part have them. Thanks for any info.
Yes they do. The rev-limiter is located at 7400 rpm. The only way you can over-rev is by driving nonchalantly and slamming it back one gear too low. Then you'll mechanically over-rev your engine. If you have an AT, you won't have to worry about this issue, though.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:08 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the info Sauce man. I do have the six speed in mine So I guess I will have to be care full.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro

hmm alot of people get rid of their ecu's when they start modding their cars, i wonder if you can just do a swap with someone??
Old 07-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm pretty sure you can clear the ecu just by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 min or so
Old 07-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I am Ahab!

Would that tip them off into actually going and putting something in the registry if they have not?
eh good point
Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Mr. Karma

I don't know about the TSX, but on my current car, you can reset the ECU by removing the ECU fuse and depressing the brake pedal for about 10 sec.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I believe I already read somewhere that resetting your ECU would not erase problem codes from it. It would just turn off a check engine light, as if the code had been jumped, but it remains there.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:00 AM

So even if I got someone skilled enough (my friends at the honda dealer) to hook the car up to the the computer, there is no way to over-write/reset/erase whats on the ECU about that particular misshift?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 AM

How much would a compression test run?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 AM

How much would a compression test run?
Anyone?

Quick Reply: Car's computer says engine was over-reved-Dealer is voiding ptrain warranty, HELP!!!!