Car won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car won't crank

I've had no previous issues in this area. I got in the car to head home from work last night and found that it wouldn't crank. No clicking, nothing. Gages light up as usual. I checked the battery, 12.7 volts. Perhaps it is the starter relay, though I have not yet located it.

I also checked the clutch safety switch with an ohmmeter and it is fine. I'm in the process of removing the ECU in the off chance that there is corrosion inside.

It does have a Viper alarm system. I plan to remove it this weekend (I don't care for the idea of having the wiring messed with on any vehicle and alarms definitely qualify as "messing with the wiring"). Ignition switch? I have yet to try my other key. The immobilizer light is not flashing though. Managed to get it home by push starting it.

Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With no clicking I would agree that it is probably the starter relay. Have you checked fuses?

If you were able to bump start it, then I would guess it isn't anything with the immobilizer or alarm. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Instructor

You're right. Immobilizer is a fuel cut, and I could drive it once it was push started. The alarm does have a starter kill on it though.

The service manual suggests four possible causes:

-wires between relay & ignition switch & between relay & starter
-ignition switch
-clutch interlock switch
-starter relay
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Also, I'm not certain how the immobilizer bypass was set up (previous owner had the alarm/remote start installed and I haven't really looked into it).

I located the starter relay in the underhood fuse panel. I plan to swap it with a relay of the same type and see if it makes any difference.

Manual also suggests connecting a jumper to the starter solenoid contact and touching that wire to the positive terminal on the battery to test the starter. Although I really don't believe that it is a problem with the starter, it's a basic check and so I plan to perform this test this weekend before I go any further.

Last edited by gideon's_test; 07-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Got it fixed. Turns out that it would make a single click when I turned the key. I thought it was totally silent (I am partially deaf). So it was a faulty starter as some surmised. When I replaced the brush holder assembly I did not replace the plastic plunger (see pic below) which protrudes through the brush holder assembly and as a result the disc shaped push clip apparently popped off and was clinging to the permanent magnet on the side of the case. Thank God I was able to find the new, unused plastic plunger that came with the brush set, and I located a new disc clip in my inherited trays of fasteners (my grandfather-in-law was cool like that).