A/C Failure Costing $4000

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philliesfan980
What about rattling when idling (occasionally, not all the time)? That's my only noticeable AC issue.
my 06 (44,450 miles) has started this. it's going in to be checked out tomorrow. 10 days left on the warranty.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Racer

after 2 days of diagnosising, the random ticking while the AC is on is due to Evap Purge Control Solenoid. ticking noise is normal, nothing is broken.

On a plus side the dealer replaced my battery under warranty with only 7 days remaining.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 AM
TSX 2005 Manual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so my a/c on my 2005 has lost a bit of its crisp cold air. It is still fine, but not as it used to be 1 week ago. Any recommendations? Also some have mentioned a grinding noise...can people explain a bit, I do have a grinding noise for half a second coming from the front lower part of the engine bay. The sound comes only one time when I start driving the car. Is that a/c related?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
TSX 2005 Manual

sorry, should have posted this on teh other thread. delete pls.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Another 2004 compressor grenades...

I really appreciate finding this thread and realizing that my experiences are not unique. 2 weeks ago (8/2010) the compressor on my 2004 died, contaminating the entire a/c system. My first step was to Google the problem and in 2 hours I had a pretty good understanding for what I was in for. The vehicle has 45k on it and has been well maintained. I drove an extra 2 hours just to take it back to the dealership at which it was purchased and ask for some goodwill. $3300 in repairs (everything needs to be replaced) and they will cover 50%, leaving me with a $1600 repair bill. I have a call in to a local mechanic for a quote, but I doubt he will be able to purchase the parts for much less then 1000-1200.

While I am pissed about spending $1600, I truly appreciate Acura giving me some goodwill. What really bothers me however is Acura's dodging the issue of whether this is a known and documented issues for this model year. My particular vehicle has had several of the other issues Acura acknowledges (for example, the center console lights) and dealt with these appropriately. Before my A/C disaster I recommended the Acura brand and the TSX model in particular to several friends, at least 2 of whom purchased them. I would still probably purchase Acura in the future but certainly not before doing more research.

I will keep my receipts for this repair and hope that in the near future Acura will make things completely right.

BTW- Acura has given me a 2010 TL as a loaner. Seems strange, but I prefer the seats and steering in the TSX, and the feel/sound of the 4 banger.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Advanced

I have an 06 TSX w/ 53K and have been getting the 'whooop' sound for ~2-3K miles... Ugh.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i guess i might be on this list too. 04 tsx 83k miles. ac still pumps out cold air but something is clogging the system. compressor is coming on and off every minute. we'll see ....
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
5th Gear

2005 63Kmiles Black Death - Acura Goodwill!

Friday afternoon, 100 degrees in Austin TX, and I hear a strange noise behind the dash. Next thing I know the ac is blowing hot air so I finish the commute home and park the car. Sat morning I go through all the fuses and relays and everything looks good so today I dropped it off at my local mechanic and get the bad news - the compressor exploded and I have "black death". He had the same problem on an RSX with 60K last week, his estimate was $1700. After a quick search I found this forum and armed with the information took the car back to the dealer where I purchased the car. I mentioned that I had read about black death on the internet and really expected Honda Goodwill to help with the repairs. The service advisor was very helpfull and filed the claim. She called back later today and let me know - the repair would cost around $2300 but Honda would cover much of the cost and the most I will be out of pocket is $500. I'll know more tomorrow and will post an update. I'm not happy about the expense but at least acura is covering a significant portion of it! If you have a problem just ask your service advisor for goodwill... I'm glad I did.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

I too, unfortunately, have had the A/C problem and had to pay for it out-of-pocket because I bought my 2005 used and without a warranty. The compressor randomly quit during the worst heatwave of the summer in early August.

Here is what it cost me in terms of time & money to get the problem diagnosed and corrected:

1) Spent a few hours trying to diagnose the problem myself and discovered that I had enough freon in the system and that there was no leak. This would have cost me about $50 at least, but luckily I had all the materials and freon already.

2) Seven hours of leaving my car at AAMCO only to discover that they could not resolve the issue. They indicated I have a wiring issue because there was no power coming into the compressor. They didn't charge me a dime for the diagnostics though which was nice of them.

3) $80 mandatory diagnostic fee at Acura Dealership. They discovered that the "stator" (coil) in my A/C/ compressor has gone bad. They printed out a service quote of around $4000 to replace the compressor, expansion valve, and drier (including parts). Needless to say, I asked them to contact Acura to see if they would extend me after-warranty assistance, but they said that is not possible!

4) I purchased brand new (not rebuilt or used) A/C compressor, expansion valve, and drier for around $350 online (at discountcompressor dot com) and I paid another $350 for labor to get all those parts installed properly along with a system flush and recharge. The parts came with a 1 year warranty so that is reassuring. The expansion valve is actually the toughest thing to install and makes this a time-consuming job. Most mechanics I spoke to would not touch this job for any less than $500 (which would include system flush and recharge).

5) Spent the month of August (and that too, during a heatwave) sweating in my car like a prostitute in church because I was saving money to for this repair.

Money-wise, the total repair cost me around $800. I'd wager that I made the best of a bad situation, but that may not hold true for everyone. If you face this or any such problem, my recommendation is to do a good amount of research on where you can buy quality parts at a good price and shop around to get quotes from at least 6-10 different car mechanics in your area. It might be a hassle, but it can make the difference between paying $800 or paying $4000. Also, always make sure that the work and the parts have a decent warranty if you can help it, and clarify the terms and payments before signing anything.

I honestly feel that Acura dealers should be more helpful and more uniform in their policies, and I also feel that Acura should do a recall on the A/C compressor and/or reimburse owners for repair work thereof.

Last edited by Moksha; 09-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by tom1234
My steering fluid has been leaking for the past few months and it has gotten all over my engine. I was just told about the recall and need to get it fixed, but at the same time I've been going without the A/C or fan as I do not have the money to fix it at this moment. Hopefully when I bring in my car this week to get the steering fluid issue fixed I can get some help with the A/C and fan unit. Car: 2004 TSX with 65k miles.
My A/C just grenaded at 68k miles after getting the relay fixed. Ugh, 4k estimate, hope to get some assistance.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Uh oh, I think I might start having some issues with the AC soon.

I bought my '07 CPO TSX in June with 34K miles. Everything was all good, even checked AC for noises after my experiences with a previous car.

Now to last week. I'm turning on my AC since its 100 out here in October and when I'm stopped at a stop light, I suddenly hear rattling noises. I turn off my AC and there's no rattling noises, but once I turn it on again, the rattling ensues. However, I'm still getting cold air (thank god with this brutal heat) so it's still working, but I'm afraid something might give.

Any suggestions? It's a CPO so if anything, I'm assuming repairs are gonna be covered, right? (If this is actually an AC issue).

I'm kinda trippin cuz I haven't seen where someone has had issues with the AC with an '07.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
5th Gear

My wife's AC just went out in our '04 w/ 120K miles. I'm through going back and forth with the dealer to fix known issues. I've had to deal with the headlights, center console, door lock actuators (both fronts), and now the AC. Albeit, the headlights and center console were covered, but after the run around they gave me with the actuators, I'm fed up with them. This is our fourth Acura, and may be our last. They don't seem to value quality as much as I thought.

I'm looking at a couple online places to get a replacement compressor and other parts that I'll need. I'm not bothering with the OEM stuff. Looks like I can get the parts for about $400 and have a local shop do the install and AC evac/charge. Should save me about $1000.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

I just came from the dealer here in Dallas Texas who quoted me $3500 for a full evac and replacement. Thank god I found this thread.

I'm heading back in there tomorrow and asking for this replacement. If they wont give it to me, I'm selling the car and will never own another Acura again. This is a 2006 model with only 60,000 miles on it, no way I should be looking at this kind of costly replacement. I'm honestly quite offended by the price. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by silverboard; 06-07-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at 65k miles on the car now. AC's fine. The thing is, I'm not paying $2000 to fix something on a 7 year old car that's paid off. If the AC dies, the TSX is gone and I'm done with Honda/Acura.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
I'm at 65k miles on the car now. AC's fine. The thing is, I'm not paying $2000 to fix something on a 7 year old car that's paid off. If the AC dies, the TSX is gone and I'm done with Honda/Acura.
Mine died a while back.

You can purchase a kit to replace the most important parts that are likely to break for about $500.

With a weekend to burn, some patience, and a 6 out of 10 (10 being extremely hard) technical skill set, you can repair your own AC system. (except recharging AC)

I've been going for a long while now with no AC, even in a South Carolina summer, 50 min one way trip to work. I just don't feel like fixing it myself, and equally don't feel like giving Honda/Acura my money. I'm torn between picking up a CRZ, an Elise, or someones problem free already modded TSX from this site.

Good luck though, hopefully this compressor BS doesn't claim too many more innocent acura supporters.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there any preventable maintance that can be done to prevent this from happening?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kodawg9
Uh oh, I think I might start having some issues with the AC soon.

I bought my '07 CPO TSX in June with 34K miles. Everything was all good, even checked AC for noises after my experiences with a previous car.

Now to last week. I'm turning on my AC since its 100 out here in October and when I'm stopped at a stop light, I suddenly hear rattling noises. I turn off my AC and there's no rattling noises, but once I turn it on again, the rattling ensues. However, I'm still getting cold air (thank god with this brutal heat) so it's still working, but I'm afraid something might give.

Any suggestions? It's a CPO so if anything, I'm assuming repairs are gonna be covered, right? (If this is actually an AC issue).

I'm kinda trippin cuz I haven't seen where someone has had issues with the AC with an '07.
I'm just noticing the same rattling noises along with vibrations while stopping at stop lights. At first I thought it was the motor mount issues I've been reading about these cars, now since finding this thread it could be an explosive AC issue

I've only owned my TSX for 2 months. Bought it cash; a 2005 non navi. I love it to death, but I hate reading about these issues and I hate experiencing them.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silverboard
I just came from the dealer here in Dallas Texas who quoted me $3500 for a full evac and replacement. Thank god I found this thread.

I'm heading back in there tomorrow and asking for this replacement. If they wont give it to me, I'm selling the car and will never own another Acura again. This is a 2006 model with only 60,000 miles on it, no way I should be looking at this kind of costly replacement. I'm honestly quite offended by the price. Thanks for the heads up!
UPDATE: After several calls and discussions, Acura Client Services has been extremely helpful and agreed to a 75/25 split. I presume my loyalty played into this - I've owned 3 hondas and 1 acura, and had the dealer do 100% of my service. 75/25 still makes for a bit pricey of a repair, but I'm very satisfied with the way they handled the situation and I can live with the price.

Still a very satisfied Acura owner!

Last edited by silverboard; 06-15-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 TSX - 75k AC Blackout

Over the weekend I had my AC die in my 2006 TSX. I decided to Google the symptoms and found this forum. My gf and I have just purchased a 2010 TSX to replace our 2008 TSX, so hopefully some consideration is extended for that.

Our experience was as follows: sitting at a red light, the AC started blowing warm air. As soon as we were moving, it was cold again. This lasted for about an hour and then we had only hot air.

Diagnosis is that the entire system needs to be repaired. The quote is $4,261. ACS is looking into covering a portion of it. If not, I have a 2006 TSX without air for sale to the highest bidder.
The following users liked this post:
phil5897 (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

Hello,
Our 2004 TSX A/C compressor went out yesterday! The compressor clutch shaft sheered of while we were driving. I found the broken clutch lying on the plastic splash guard inder the engine! It is @ dealer now for "diagnostics". I sincerly hope Acura works with us here as i refuse to pay $4K for a "system".
I expect this failure on a high mileage Kia not an Acura with just over 100K in the clock.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
5th Gear

Here's our update.

The dealer called and said Acura would cover $900; leaving us with $3,400+ to fix the system. They also suggested changing some belts and performing a few other minor services, so in reality, its still $4,000. I balked and was told to call ACS myself since the dealer had done all they could.

What followed was an hour long conversation with ACS explaining the situation in fine detail. They then asked to conference call my girlfriend since she primarily drives the cars. All around waste of time. Someone from ACS is supposed call tomorrow to get more information and then call back again with a new offer.

I just want the car fixed at a reasonable price. I don't want to play games all week while it could be fixed!
phil5897 (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM
10th Gear

Same here, fix it at a reasonable price, not damn near half of what the car is worth!

I really think Acura will help out here, our family has 6 newer Acuras in it and it would be a shame if they do not help out in some way! With the history of premature a/c compressor failures, it is obvious there is a flaw. Charging a loyal customer an outrages price for a repair caused by a flawed part is unacceptable!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
5th Gear

We have 3 TSXs - a 2006, a 2008, and a 2010 we bought 12 weeks ago. I would have expected better treatment so far.

My suggestion is to call THE SAME rep I am working with because there is strength in numbers and they will HAVE TO acknowledge how widespread this is. My District Case Manager at ACS is Carla. We have never spoken, but she is supposed to come back to me with another 'offer' tomorrow. First she needs to speak with my better half about how she 'feels about the car'. Whatever that accomplishes?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
10th Gear

We are in Nor Cal, and apparently the dealer is still waiting to hear back from the rep as well. I should hear more tomorrow morning.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Funny, ACS didn't even want to give me the time of day.

Whatever it is you all decide to do, make sure Acura's punk ass gives you the longest warranty possible. Ever since I got my car back (with working AC) it blows out a terrible smell and still is not even close to how ice cold it used to blow. Living in the south, without ice cold ac basically makes this care mine forever unless I trick someone into buying in the winter (which is not how I roll)
phil5897 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
10th Gear

Question

As of now, the dealer is still waiting for another response from factory/district rep.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
5th Gear

We are also waiting for an ACS reply. In the last 24 hours, ACS called three times to confirm the details of the other cars we own. A bit odd, but must weigh more heavily than the fact the AC design is bad.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 AM
10th Gear

This is frustrating. We just want the car fixed at a reasonable cost. The phone tag and "we will get back to you" is already getting old. At least its not too hot out right now.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Snaps.. I have 145K on my 2004 TSX. I'm kinda scared to turn my A/C on now.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:02 AM
5th Gear

Car has been laid up for 1.5 weeks now. Perhaps I get it back by Friday. It seems to be taking much longer than one would reasonable suggest. Nevertheless, I have a decent RDX runabout from them.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
10th Gear

update

Acura worked with us and they replaced the entire system as they said it was completely contaminated from the destroyed compressor. They also gave us a RDX to use while it was in the shop for 6 days.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

SO... Does the "Whooooooop sound" (like on the YouTube video) usually precede the compressor failure, anyone been Whoooooping for a while with no ill effects?

My '04, 109K miles, started this Whoooop sound last month. Happens every few minutes usually at idle and is LOUD.

I see this has been going on for 4 years without a fix, other than wait for it to explode...

Thanks,
Bruce
Colorado Springs
Old 08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Unhappy 06 65k AC noise help? in FL

Hi Guys,

i heard there's a class action lawsuit on this issue anyone know if acura is now fixing these issues post warranty at goodwill to CYA themselves. I myself have an 06 that recently started to make a knocking noise at idle only when the AC is on, will the inevitably "ac blowing up" in my future. i'm scheduled to drop off the car at the stealership this week to change my MT transmission fluid and clutch fluid i'll ask them to take a look at it. crossing my fingers, hoping acura is on the CYA mode due to the pending class action lawsuit and will replace whats needed before it does "blow up" and fail. Since i'm in FL i run the AC 24/7 since the car was bought back new jan07.

2006 PWP 64k (i'm out of warranty)

thoughts guys?

Tim
Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
ridiculously good looking

Has anyone spoken with SERVICE ADVISOR (The OP)? my A/C just crapped out, and I wanted him/her to take a look at it.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:49 AM
10th Gear

Two things;

My A/C just crapped out on the 04 TSX with 146K miles. It is the clutch and coil that need to be replaced. Gunn Acura charging $1211.38. The HNA charging about a grand.

Secondly, Gunn Acura charged me 183 for the evac and recharge to check the problem but when I took it to HNA for a quote they told me that Gunn did not recharge the system. So why am I paying 183 for only the evac?!!!

I am going to go with HNA to do the work now that I don't trust the dealership Gunn. BTW HNA had three mint looking NSXes in the front so I think I am safe with them. I am still in awe of seeing three in one place.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 PM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by aldohe
I am going to go with HNA to do the work now that I don't trust the dealership Gunn. BTW HNA had three mint looking NSXes in the front so I think I am safe with them. I am still in awe of seeing three in one place.
PM sent
Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced

My daughter and I both have a 2006 TSX she has 103K miles on her car and started experiencing the whooping sound when the AC is on if this is not fixed will it cause future damage? So from what I'm understanding the system needs to be evacuated then recharged to take care of the problem?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Braz60
My daughter and I both have a 2006 TSX she has 103K miles on her car and started experiencing the whooping sound when the AC is on if this is not fixed will it cause future damage? So from what I'm understanding the system needs to be evacuated then recharged to take care of the problem?
From previous posts it might just need to be vacuumed pumped to pull some moisture out of the line. I'm not sure if they recharged the whole system or just ran the pump momentarily (like a bleed).
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SERVICEADVISOR
I haven't seen any 07' or 08' yet with this issue but I believe they have the same set up and parts. again they are not sure if it was a bad run of compessors or a design flaw that causes this but most of the cars have been 2-5years old and over 40k miles.
I would not be surprised if Honda had used Chineese parts.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2005 RL and had dealer check my AC .
The dealer suggested that the clutch and stator needed replacing for $1100.
I had my own mechanic replace them and the compressor since he was there already, all for $1000.
The AC runs a little warmer than it should be.
Any ideas?

Quick Reply: A/C Failure Costing $4000