Bad PCV valve and oil catch can. Anyone else get this much build up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad PCV valve and oil catch can. Anyone else get this much build up?

Hi, I have an oil catch can on my tsx. I have been noticing oil build up in the hose, and suspect i have a bad pcv valve stuck open. Does anyone else get this type of buildup in the line?

Also I have a breather on the head and wonder if I should T it into the catch can line? I havn't noticed an drivability problems with the breather and I know lots of people run with filters i just suspect having positive evactuation is more worth while.

anyway pics.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump. I went through 1/2 a quart in a week I replaced the pcv valve and the hoses I hope it helps but I would still like to know if that build up looks "normal" to others.

it doesn't appear to be burning oil through that line, at least not 1/2 a quart.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I think it's supposed to be like that but I'm not too entirely sure. All I know is that when I remove the hose near the alternator, I get very little backup oil coming out too. I just think the oil builds up in the hose because of greater restriction from the oil catch can. The only difference is that yours is clear so you see it more. Mine is a fuel hose so it's all black so I can't see if oil is building up in there or not.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The result of an oil consumption test seems to be that if I vtech alot, in higher gears, at higher loads - on the highway going back and forth to the cottage during the summer -then I use 1qt of oil/1,000 - 1,500 miles. [NOTE: If you vtech a lot, check your oil level regularly.]

If I'm just tooling around town during the fall and winter, I use 0.25qt every 1,000 miles.

So, WHERE does all the oil go when I'm vteching? Out the exhaust, or, well, where? And there are no oil spots on the garage floor; I checked. I can't help but think that if I had one of your K&N head breather filters my engine would be covered in oil. Although I now have 70,000 miles now on the car, I don't actually believe that I've burned through 50+ qts of oil, and the car aced the most recent tailpipe smog test...