Apply brakes...wheel jerks to one side

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apply brakes...wheel jerks to one side

Here is a new one....

Getting on the brakes quickly, lets say if someone cuts in front of you and you quickly need to scrub some speed, the quick, initial application of the brake results in the steering wheel jerking to the left side. Its almost as if the left caliper was hitting the rotor just slightly before the right one is. Nice, soft application of the brakes doesnt result in this behavior.

Anyone?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Racer

It could be several things -- and this is one of those problems that might be solved by doing something; without first making an accurate diagnosis. Also known as "Easter Egging".

I would have an experienced mechanic take a look. It might be pads, rotor, or even the ABS. But, it is not likely that the mechanic can say, "Your problem is due to....".

So, I would expect that he would recommend changing the brake pads, and perhaps truing the rotors, as a starting point.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If the car jerks to the left, then it's likely that one or both of the calipers on the right side of the car is partially seized. When was the last time you had the brakes serviced? Have someone (or do it yourself) lube the slider pins and all other areas of the brake that should be lubed, and I'd bet your problem is solved.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Somethings up here. Getting some high pitch squeal when the brakes are cold, the calipers are rattling like crazy. Gonna call the dealer now.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
It could be several things -- and this is one of those problems that might be solved by doing something; without first making an accurate diagnosis. Also known as "Easter Egging".

I would have an experienced mechanic take a look. It might be pads, rotor, or even the ABS. But, it is not likely that the mechanic can say, "Your problem is due to....".

So, I would expect that he would recommend changing the brake pads, and perhaps truing the rotors, as a starting point.
Unless the right side pads were completely gone, down to the backing plate, then I'd bet the pads are fine as they currently stand. As for trueing the rotors, I'd recommend that ONLY if there is a vibration when braking at any speed. If there's no vibration, and just a jerk to one side, a seizing/sticky caliper slide pin (or one pad sticking slightly) is the most likely culprit.

It's not hard to take the brakes apart and lube the pins, and it's nearly free (the brake caliper lube is < $10 and the labour is free if you know what you're doing and/or can read the Helm's manual.)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Instructor

And...as if on queue, the dealer tells me the squeal is "normal."

My a$$ it is.

Curls...Im hearing you and I have the knowledge to do that...but not the tools. After it took me four hours to swap a standard Chevy offset starter in my old Camaro, I swore off working on cars forever, unless I had a lift, air and the tools.

So Im gonna take it to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RkFast
And...as if on queue, the dealer tells me the squeal is "normal."

My a$$ it is.
Jebus, I need to get my ass to my dealership so they can fix my non-squealing abnormal brakes.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
Jebus, I need to get my ass to my dealership so they can fix my non-squealing abnormal brakes.
Oh...dont worry....Im SURE Ill also get the INfamous "Cannot Replicate". Yeah....Im making this up. I just love spending Summer mornings in car dealership service waiting rooms. That free coffee is just soooooooo yummy.

We should make a sticky "Top Ten Dealer Excuses for Being Too Lazy to Diagnose a Problem."
Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Drifting

The only tool you need is a beefy socket wrench and a 17mm or 19mm socket (can't remember which). Grease up the pins and the places where the pad slides in the caliper. Pull the pads out, pop off the shims and put some anti-squeal compound on the back of the pad. Put the shim back on the pad and reinstall. Since you're just putting the same pads right back on you won't even have to deal with compressing the piston again.

You might as well grab some brake parts cleaner to clean stuff up while you're at it. A barely competent mechanic could do this in an hour easily.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 AM
08 MDX with Sports

When I do sudden stops my steering wheel shakes alittle, possible brake/pad related?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Newplay1
When I do sudden stops my steering wheel shakes alittle, possible brake/pad related?
possibly. Do you feel anything when just slightly applying the brakes?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Instructor

FOLLOW UP:

Dealer inspected both calipers.

One of the front slider sticking was the cause, as suspected.

All sliders broken down and relubed.

Problem fixed!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by RkFast
FOLLOW UP:

Dealer inspected both calipers.

One of the front slider sticking was the cause, as suspected.

All sliders broken down and relubed.

Problem fixed!
So I was right. Glad it's fixed and hopefully it wasn't expensive.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Check that...problem is still there...back to the dealer.