Anyone experiencing jerky auto transmission 2nd to 1st? 2005 tsx, 90k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone experiencing jerky auto transmission 2nd to 1st? 2005 tsx, 90k miles

So lately, since about 15k miles ago, I've been experiencing a couple of things.

Transmission in 'D' mode.

When coming to a stop at moderate speeds say 40mph, then 30 then, 20mph, then 10mph... the last few seconds or moments when the vehicle is about to stop, the car kind of lunges forward as if you let go of the brakes. This is very annoying. It feels as if the car is in 2nd gear, then suddenly when it down-shifts to 1st gear, it gets a kick-down feeling.

This of course, will not happen if I pop the gear into neutral and brake to a stop. This also will not happen, when I'm in 'M' sports mode and come to a stop.

Secondly, in the same manner as above, coming to a stop in 'D' mode and applying brakes... 40mph, 30mph, 20mph..then 10mph....7..6mph.. now let go of brakes and throttle up just a bit... "thund thund thund thund" and the transmission/vehicle shakes a bit like it is trying to grip or something.... this happens 3 out of maybe 10 times.

Again, this does not happen, if I am in manual sports mode and keeping the car in 2nd gear......

anyone experience this? i've drained and filled the tranny fluid once at 60k miles.. the car now has 90k miles... maybe i need to do it again?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because that is the set speed that will automatically downshift to 1st gear for you.

Do you know how a manual car works? It seems like to me you're basically trying to stall your own car even though it's an automatic. Try just braking the whole way and go to a complete stop, whats the point of letting go of the brakes at 6mph?

Any time you downshift to 1st gear it jerks, that's why not a lot of people do it, instead either they put it neutral or your case just leave it in 2nd the whole time if you're in Manual mode and you go 6mph it automatically shifts into first for you, or when you're in D don't try to let go of the brake at 6mph like if it was a game or something.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by greendestiny
So lately, since about 15k miles ago, I've been experiencing a couple of things.

Transmission in 'D' mode.

When coming to a stop at moderate speeds say 40mph, then 30 then, 20mph, then 10mph... the last few seconds or moments when the vehicle is about to stop, the car kind of lunges forward as if you let go of the brakes. This is very annoying. It feels as if the car is in 2nd gear, then suddenly when it down-shifts to 1st gear, it gets a kick-down feeling.

This of course, will not happen if I pop the gear into neutral and brake to a stop. This also will not happen, when I'm in 'M' sports mode and come to a stop.

Secondly, in the same manner as above, coming to a stop in 'D' mode and applying brakes... 40mph, 30mph, 20mph..then 10mph....7..6mph.. now let go of brakes and throttle up just a bit... "thund thund thund thund" and the transmission/vehicle shakes a bit like it is trying to grip or something.... this happens 3 out of maybe 10 times.

Again, this does not happen, if I am in manual sports mode and keeping the car in 2nd gear......

anyone experience this? i've drained and filled the tranny fluid once at 60k miles.. the car now has 90k miles... maybe i need to do it again?
The 2nd part happens to me a lot.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by losothefatso
Because that is the set speed that will automatically downshift to 1st gear for you.

Do you know how a manual car works? It seems like to me you're basically trying to stall your own car even though it's an automatic. Try just braking the whole way and go to a complete stop, whats the point of letting go of the brakes at 6mph?

Any time you downshift to 1st gear it jerks, that's why not a lot of people do it, instead either they put it neutral or your case just leave it in 2nd the whole time if you're in Manual mode and you go 6mph it automatically shifts into first for you, or when you're in D don't try to let go of the brake at 6mph like if it was a game or something.

I am not racing, or purposely doing this. Let me give you the perfect scenario of when this is happening. You're driving your car normally, in 'D' mode.

You are driving down a street, the light is red... you're coming to a stop... suddenly just seconds before you're about to really stop (0MPH), but you're holding your brakes and car is slowing coming down in speed 10,9,8...mph.. the light goes green.....

well you ain't gonna continue to brake right? what do you do? let off your brake, and apply some gas.... well this is the part I'm talking about....

this momentary change from braking to gas-ing... the transmission seems jerks like mad.... thud thudd thudd ...vrroooom and goes. and yes, I have a manual car, I've been driving manual for 5 years now... but my TSX is automatic.. my mom's 10 year old auto camry does not have this issue....

it almost feels as if... the torque converter is quickly slipping and grabbing and slipping and grabbing....

again, this does not happen, if i just set it to 'M' mode and then gas it in the same gear.

but i'm glad to hear, I'm not the only one with this problem....
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

i dont like the tsx tranny either, it is not smooth. They should get lessons from toyota, they make smooth and bullet proof trannies.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
What you're describing to me, the lurch while braking to 0 MPH, and the "thund, thund, thund" while accelerating from very slow speed, never happens to me. When I'm decelerating/braking, the 5AT does NOT act like I'm aggressively downshifting for engine braking. I sometimes feel a very gentle braking motion from the 5AT downshifting from 5th to 4th (I think) if I'm braking from 40-45 to 30-35 mph while going downhill (a known speed trap near work). But it's nothing that is worrisome or uncomfortable.

I drive the spectrum from "grandma" or "chauffeur" to "go get 'em" enjoyment. Depends on who's with me (or no one).

Either something was fixed from 2005 or 2006, or your car's #*@&ed up. Maybe disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ECU and then try these maneuvers?

Last edited by davidspalding; 07-24-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
East Coast Crew

I asked my dad about that when it happened and he told me the thuds were the tires slipping and it's normal.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:25 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ck123
i dont like the tsx tranny either, it is not smooth. They should get lessons from toyota, they make smooth and bullet proof trannies.
Toyota had alot of problems with their transmissions including the camry, avalon, highlander. Go to toyota transmission problems website and you will find out
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RuslanRostov
Has anyone found a solution to this yet?
It was the solenoids
Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RuslanRostov
It was the solenoids
i search the part diagram and there are a few...anyone know which solenoids to change? thank!