Annoying engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying engine sound

Wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. I hear a faint, but very audible sound which comes from the front of the vehicle. I'm not 100% sure it's the engine, it could also be the cables running to the instrument panel or something else entirely. The sound starts after roughtly 2000rpm and could be described as a whirl or hiss.

Unless I have the music on reasonably loud I can hear this thing. It started around 2000 miles and has been annoying the cr@p out of me for the last 3.5k miles.

Any ideas?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vacumm issue? Might want to get it checked out at the dealer...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's probably normal engine intake sound or super-sensitive hearing ability.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

Unless my hearing suddenly got super sensitive around 2000 miles, the problem is with the car, not my hearing.

Joerockt - what do you mean by vacuum issue?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard a constant "whirring" sound, much like a high-pitched sewing machine, whenever the car accelerates. It's soft, and not noticeable when the radio is on, but it's clearly there. When I posted about this, respondents said it was just the normal sound of a TSX engine. it's still a bit annoying, normal or not.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

"Whirring" is another word you could use I guess. I could accept that this is the engine's normal sound if it was there from the beginning, which it wasn't. As mentioned, it started around 2000 miles.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can find this sound to be normal, let alone enjoyable, unless they are happy to pay close to 30k and drive something that sounds like a sewing machine (as you say). The TXS engine, to my taste doesn't make any sounds that are pleasant, but that's ok since it's a very quiet four and I'm not expecting it to sound like a Pontiac GTO or anything. So from the start I happily accepted that I was driving something of a silent rocket, which doesn't need to make a heap of noise when accelerating. When the car accelerates it's nice to hear what some whould describe as a purring noise, rather than this whirr/hiss. I absolutely hate it and always try to drown it out with music.

I wonder what the dealer will say? Really doubt they will be enthusiastic to address the problem.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be eager to hear what they have to say. Please keep us all posted. I'm going to let them deal with it when I take it in for 5000 mile check-up.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Mine did that same noise for the first 25,000 kms (drove me nuts) then just stopped one day. I was told that it was the sound of the timing chain as the TSX is chain not belt.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 AM
10th Gear

Jims, did your noise go away?

I have the same noise... I only hear it between 60-70mph in 5th gear though...
Old 07-06-2005, 08:27 AM
i want my nuku nuku futon

a whirling sound eh? u sure u dont have supercharger under the hood? hahaa...
Old 07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Payton
Jims, did your noise go away?

I have the same noise... I only hear it between 60-70mph in 5th gear though...

I have a similar sound, but mine is a high-pitched "whistling" sound that I can hear the loudest right around 78-80mph. I can't tell if it's transmission related or engine related. I have the AT.

It is kinda annoying, but only if the radio volume is turned down. With the volumen level up, it drowns the sound out. I'm having my breaks checked on 7/23, and this sound is on my list along with a front-passenger side speaker rattle, the a-pillar rattle and the sunroof rattle. (and my climate cluster display cover that is "peeling" away/separating).
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Payton,

the noise is still there. I've tried to isolate when it happens and now realize that it's not related to the engine RPM. It occurs in particular at certain speeds, like around 62-63 and 72-73.

I've done 7.5k miles, so it will soon be time to take it in for the 10k service. I'm doing my best to ignore it until then by turing the music up. In addition, I've started experiencing a sunroof creak and a wierd metallic creak from the rear of the car when I reverse out of the garage in the mornings.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to do something about the engine sound - I'll make sure to post what they say the cause is.

Without a grain of doubt - first and last Acura for me.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

ZAXDude - I just noticed your post. You're right, and I was thinking the same thing. The best way to describe the sound is a "whistle". That's exactly what it is. Mine is an AT as well.

Payton - is yours and AT?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

Mine is also an AT... do you guys hear the sound when in other gears? If I switch over to manual-mode and select 4th, I don't believe I hear the sound, even going at the same speed. I'm pretty sure I only hear it when in 5th in auto mode, I'll try 5th in manu mode today but I don't see how that should make a diff.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Audi Driving Snob

the fact that it isn't rpm depenent makes me think it's the wheel bearings or possibly the tires.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

I am pretty sure it happens consistently at certain speeds. Will check again to see what happens in 4th gear vs 5th and will let you know.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
10th Gear

i have similar problem...... =(
for me... i realize it wen i'm in manual mode (i have AT) and juz letting my car stay at 2nd gear... and letting it roll along... at around... 60-70km/hr... so...around 4500rpm...
dats when the sound is really noticible... mayb u guys can try too...
haha... i live on mountain... so i juz stay at 2nd gear so i won't hafta use up too much brake... and i constantly hear this sound...
imma take it to dealer today ... see wut they say bout it... hehe
Old 07-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

I would expect some sound from engine-breaking - although maybe not the whistle I'm hearing under normal driving conditions.

I've tried mine in different gears. Concluded it's completely independent of RPM. The whistling is most noticable at several speeds regardless of what gear the engine is in (within reason). It's worst around 72-73 m/h so I've tried 4th and 5th gear at that speed and the sound is the same.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So its been almost a month and you havent had the dealer look in to it? Just bring it in and have a tech ride along with you.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 AM
8th Gear

Hey all. I'm new to this site and I've experienced the same "sound" as well. My local dealer said it is an inherrent characteristic of the motor. When I had to get a loaner, which was an '04, it made the same sound. I'm almost at 10K and it still whirls. I almost think it's the cams that are making the sound. Sure hope the sound goes away or I'll be eager to trade up to something else. =(
Old 07-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Yeah - I should have taken it in a while ago instead of driving around annoyed. Now it's so close to the 10,000 mile service that I think it'll be easier to have them look at it when I bring it in for that. I figure I might have a little more clout being a paying customer (I will have to pay for the service after all) instead of bringing it in just for the sound to be looked at under warranty.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM
8th Gear

Could it even be the intake? Has anyone been able to find a fix for this whirling noise? I have an '05 AT. Maybe it's the tranny? I'm taking mine in for its 10K service on Saturday so maybe they'll have some ideas. Somehow I have my doubts.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:56 PM
no0bIe

I have the same problem... I believe it is due to the intake, because once I let off on the gas, the sound suddenly stops. I too, have the 5AT w/ the AEM short ram intake, so I am pretty sure this is the cause for my problems. I am quite interested in what the dealer has to say?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:19 AM
8th Gear

Everything in my '05 is stock. I wonder if another aftermarket intake would solve the problem? When I first mentioned the sound to my dealer, they said it was the intake system and the way the air gets sucked in. At this point it's very well possible that it is the intake.

Although my car doesn't whirl when I first drive the car in the morning. It needs a few minutes of driving before the sound becomes noticeable. Any more ideas guys?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Yeah - same on mine .... the sound does stop when I take my foot off the accelerator. So it only occurs at particular speeds WHEN the gas is applied.

Sean949ca - please let us know what the dealer says.

Also, if it is the intake and dealer refuses to fix, anyone have any info on what could be done? Replacement intakes? Anything else?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:52 AM
8th Gear

Well, apparently the sound is inherrent to the design of the TSX engine. My dealer advised that the sound which they described as a vacuum sound is from the intake system. The last generation Preludes apparently exhibited similar characteristics.

I test drove a loaner TSX with the same config and it also made the same sound. Unless we just have extraordinary hearing, this is normal for the TSX. I plan to keep mine for a couple of years and then consider a Lexus as my ears are way too sensitive for this car. Everything else is perfect with the car; it's just the sound that seeps through that sometimes gets to me. Oh well... That's all folks.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

I find that diffcult to accept. If your car makes the same whistling sound as mine, I'd be very annoyed with the verdict. Fact is that my car did not make this sound until around 2,000 miles. If it's something inherent to the vehicle it would have been there from the start. I'll be taking mine in in the next few weeks and won't let this go without a fight. I'll let you know the outcome in any case.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM
8th Gear

Do let me know what happens. My car actually made the sound from the start. It was only after I started to drive without the stereo on that I noticed the whirl.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

My car has that too. U can hear it better if ur like in a parking garage. Sort of like a bad ground whining sound. Doesn't bother me thou. Had it from the start too.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Well I've finally taken it in for the 10k service and asked them to have a look at this whistling sound.

I specifically asked them that I wanted to come in toward the end of the day and go for a drive with a technician. I came in at around 4:30 in the afternoon and was told that a technician was booked for 4:50pm. Eventually, a technician made an appearance and first thing he said is "I knock off at 5pm". His whole appearance oozed displeasure that he was booked in for this thing which was likely to take more than the 10 minutes left till the end of his shift. The car has to do at least 60mph for the damn whistle to be heard which meant we had use of the freeway in one direction, since end of day traffic ensured the other direction was going pretty slow. Clearly, going 60-70mph for a few exits and then coming back at a crawl meant he wasn't going to make it back by 5pm. He (very) begrudgingly accepted the cruel hand fate dealt him and we went on our little ride. Thankfully he was able to verify that the whistle was indeed present. Thank you God - I was sure I'd get someone deaf or pretending to be.

The flipside is that he had no idea what it is or could be. I don't know whether they have a policy not to discuss possible faults with clients or whether he was too tired or maybe he really didn't have a clue.

So today I got a call from the customer service rep and was told they still have no idea what it is and they will need to keep the car for longer and test drive it and other TSXs to try to figure it out.

I'll keep you guys up-to-date. Right now my prognosis is that they eventually say either that

1. they haven't heard it since
2. they admit it's there but have no idea what it is
3. it's present in other TSXs and is "normal"

In any case it will then be up to me to decide how hard I want to fight for this thing to be rectified. I'm thinking that if I can't get rid of this whistle I'll be selling the car.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Yohan

Well that noise was audible at high RPM on my euro. But looking at the engine specs, the engine is chain driven. So I guess this chain causes the sewwing noise at high RPMs. I might be wrong, but hopefully anybody might get some ideas.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Same sound here. Didn't change or go away when I installed my Icebox. I only hear it when I accelerate. Kind of annoying when I'm not listening to XM, but it usually doesn't bother me.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 AM
k24
Banned

I have also this "supercharger" noise in my euro accord (6MT). The car has now 50000km on it and it´s still there. So far I have not even mentioned it to the dealer but for sure, sometimes when the radio is off, it is kind of annoing.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car has 10,000km, and I get that noise even at low speed (30-40km/h, 2nd gear, 2500-3000rpm). Like someone said, sounds like a bad ground (or supercharger), but my radio was off. It's a really tiny sound compared to the windscreen pop. I'll live with it.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

Well, after 5 days I finally got the car back. I just gave up. Although the tech verified the noise when he went for a ride with me, I was told they were unable to replicate it subsequently.

There were two of these bozos driving my car up and down the freeway with some kind of acoustic device under the hood. They put over 40 miles on the car and heard nothing! This, after I drove with one of them for 3 miles and he heard it.

Since they did this after the service I though that maybe the whistle went away as a result of the service itself, so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Well, as soon as I drove out of the dealership, whaddya know!? It's there as usual, at the same speeds as I told them to listen for it. Interestingly, the loaner had the same, although fainter whistle, and at different speeds.

To ensure that my customer experience was complete they made me wait till past 6pm when I picked it up, because they forgot to wash it. It was washed in a rush and now has streaks and washing liquid marks all over, inside and out, so will need to be washed again. What a bunch of useless twits.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Cruisin'

Guys, these posts are scaring the hell out of me. I am thinking of going from my 02 accord coupe to the tsx later this week. Is this noise that much of a deal that you would take back buying the car if you knew it was there?

I guess before I get the car I will drive it aroun 60-70 to see if the noise is there.

Does anyone have this problem with manual?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

Just make sure the one you buy has no whistles at speeds at which most of your driving will be done. 99% of my driving is highway at exactly the speeds where this whistle appears on my car.

Also watch our for buzzing, creaks and rattles.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:58 PM
8th Gear

Well, then it's settled. It is a normal property of the car. Too bad. I plan to trade mine in 2 years for something else as I have very sensitive hearing and even though my passengers may not hear it. I certainly do...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

I wouldn't agree that it's a normal sound for the car. The service rep from Acura certainly didn't think so. He gave me a call yesterday to follow up and when I told him the whistle is still there he told me to bring the car back in.

I think it's probably something that is very difficult for them to isolate and fix, but the whistle certainly shouldn't be there.

I'll let you know what happens with mine. Will probably take it back in the next couple of days. Not too thrilled at the prospect of them driving it up and down the freeway without end trying to figure out what the problem is, but as long as I get a loaner, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'll put more miles on the loaner than they'll put on my car!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
8th Gear

Do let us what they come up with if anything. If they do, I will def. take mine back in with a copy of this entire transcript (with everyone's permission) to backup my claim.

Quick Reply: Annoying engine sound