After Break in period...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Break in period...

I am not paranoid or sensitive about the performance after break in period. It's very noticeable. Mine got 700miles now.

Here are changes after break in.

1. Ride has gotten very stiff and feeling more bumps. I drove the same road and definately harsher now.

2. It's got more vibration in car and steering wheel when idle.

3. Clutch , brake, throttle feel way stiffer even bothers me when I drive in traffic.

4. Rattle, squeaking noise keep coming up.

I followed easy break in procedure, never floored at high RPM, gradually increased RPM, warmed up all the time.
Weather was not a factor. It's never got better whenever it's dry, humid, hot or cool.

Should I take it to the dealer?
I'd had 5 new cars and TSX is 6th new car. I never had this problem before.
Any comments? Anyone had this kind of problems?
Old 05-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Master in Science

Re: After Break in period...

700 miles = still breaking in

My ride changed only after I had over 5,000 miles. It's less mpg efficient, but faster, and the engine is quieter (or I got accostumed to it). I agree the car is bumpy, but that's the 17" rims and low profile tires. On a flat road, doing 95+ mph is sweet.

After 12,400 miles, my main problems include a pull to the left, and a sliding driver's seat. Rattles are mostly gone, though it's over 80 F here on the average day; hence no windshield squeeks. And I changed the stock front speakers...
Old 05-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Instructor

slo, so is my car still breaking in?
Today I drove it and it's got even worse. I was dating with very, very cute girl and bumpy ride on cracked pavements embarrassed me to have this car.
slo, did you experienced same thing I am doing now?
Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
I think you are just observing better things that have always been there. Virtually everything you noticed is a subjective thing that the dealer will do nothing about. Give it at least a few months to get used to things. If it still bothers you, you bought the wrong car.

As a reference, go to a dealer and test drive another similar model.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Instructor

I have to admit, I knew the TSX had a "stiff" ride but didn't realize how stiff until I was on a road trip and hit a stretch of highway with some pretty tough road. Hitting these lips in the highway really hit the car hard. I did this trip with about 1k on the car.

Now I'm used to the stiffer ride (2500m) and wouldn't give it up because the car handles so much better. I wanted a sporty ride and most sports car do not handle bumps as smooth as your grandma's Cadillac. My fiance's Z3 is no smoothe ride at all and neither is my friend's RX8.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:45 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually

i feel the opposite

after breakin the ride is getting softer...
Old 05-08-2004, 03:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your tire pressure. The TSX often comes with incorrect tire pressure off the boat/truck. Mine , and others, found it was much higher than recommended. This may help the stiff ride.

But the ride will always be somewhat stiff. This is a SPORT sedan. If you didnt want stiff susspension maybe an accord would have been a safer choice.

As for the rattles, i feel you pain. As your dealer to fix them.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by TSXEuphoria
slo, so is my car still breaking in?
Today I drove it and it's got even worse. I was dating with very, very cute girl and bumpy ride on cracked pavements embarrassed me to have this car.
slo, did you experienced same thing I am doing now?
Thanks for your reply.
What did you drive before? The TSX has definitely a stiffer suspension than say, a Jetta (my previous car).

You'll need more miles than 700 to really break in your car. I'd say 4,000 at least, though you can start pushing the RPMs after 1,000.