Adjust wiper tension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Adjust wiper tension?

So searching through the threads, it's become terribly conclusive that A) the passenger side wiper arm on the 06-08 models just chatter/suck and B)replacing the OEM blade doesn't usually fix the problem.

I've had both my wiper arms replaced, and I'm still getting that damn chattering on the passenger side wiper. I know it's not the blade since I condition it and it is only 3 months old. However, I'm wondering if there's a way the adjust the tension on the spring in the wiper arm? Since I've already had the arm replaced, and I don't want to go with aftermarket blades quite yet, I'm wondering if there's a diy to make the arm rub up against the windshield with a little more force. I'll probably have to replace the damn wiper arm AGAIN. But I just find it highly unlikely that I would get a second defective arm after my first one. This is assuming that the passenger side wiper arm don't suck by design....

Any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Pro

update: I used some rubbing alcohol on the wiper blade, and that seems to have eliminated the chattering for now. Anyone have a response?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
update: I used some rubbing alcohol on the wiper blade, and that seems to have eliminated the chattering for now. Anyone have a response?

Clattering wipers is a common problem, even for new cars.

try to get a bit of "tyflon" type of polish (the ones used for boats) and get it to be "polished" on the windscreen. This smoothens out the screen and removes the tiny bits n creates a smoother surface.

Open up the front and ensure that the nuts tioghtening down your wipers are indeed tighten down well.

Last resort, check the rubber lining on the rubber on the wiper. Take it out and turn it around. Sometimes, there is some bias direction due to sitting in stationery position. This is especially so, if the clattering is one direction. Clean the wiper blade rubber end with a cloth. Often the rubber dirt gets caught and causes some shuddering clattering...

hope this helps..If you only get this during winter, then there is something wrong with the rubber mix.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Pro

Thanks for the suggestions! I think the rubber may be bent as you say. I'll try switching the wipers around. will report back...

Originally Posted by s001y
Clattering wipers is a common problem, even for new cars.

try to get a bit of "tyflon" type of polish (the ones used for boats) and get it to be "polished" on the windscreen. This smoothens out the screen and removes the tiny bits n creates a smoother surface.

Open up the front and ensure that the nuts tioghtening down your wipers are indeed tighten down well.

Last resort, check the rubber lining on the rubber on the wiper. Take it out and turn it around. Sometimes, there is some bias direction due to sitting in stationery position. This is especially so, if the clattering is one direction. Clean the wiper blade rubber end with a cloth. Often the rubber dirt gets caught and causes some shuddering clattering...

hope this helps..If you only get this during winter, then there is something wrong with the rubber mix.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you tried using "Rain-X" washer fluid, or, applying Rain-X to your windshield every month or so? I found this to really minimize (ok... eliminate!) any chattering I had with my '04 wipers. I just cleaned the wiper blades well, cleaned the windshield well, and applied the Rain-X as instructed. And now I use nothing but Rain-X summer and winter washer fluids and never have had the chattering come back. It's great stuff and worth the increased cost!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm curious what we mean when we say chatter ... it skitters and skips across the glass? it squeaks?

FWIW, I keep my windshield pretty spotless, but my blades make a little "eeeeep" sound on the return (downward) swipe. Not so much that it annoys me.

Another related question: anyone found a really cheap source for the Acura or aftermarket blades to go in the 2006-2008 wiper assemblies? (Warning: i'll thwap anyone who says, "Yeah, get [this brand] of wiper replacement." The 2006-2008s already have great wipers, it's the blade piece the I'd like to stock up on....)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I'm curious what we mean when we say chatter ... it skitters and skips across the glass? it squeaks?

FWIW, I keep my windshield pretty spotless, but my blades make a little "eeeeep" sound on the return (downward) swipe. Not so much that it annoys me.

Another related question: anyone found a really cheap source for the Acura or aftermarket blades to go in the 2006-2008 wiper assemblies? (Warning: i'll thwap anyone who says, "Yeah, get [this brand] of wiper replacement." The 2006-2008s already have great wipers, it's the blade piece the I'd like to stock up on....)
Mine skip across the glass loudly on both sides on the upward motion. Downard they seem to be ok. This is what I meant by chattering.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by curls
Have you tried using "Rain-X" washer fluid, or, applying Rain-X to your windshield every month or so? I found this to really minimize (ok... eliminate!) any chattering I had with my '04 wipers. I just cleaned the wiper blades well, cleaned the windshield well, and applied the Rain-X as instructed. And now I use nothing but Rain-X summer and winter washer fluids and never have had the chattering come back. It's great stuff and worth the increased cost!
ye i use rain-X,works really well. my passanger wiper was making sounds and skipping on the windshield that once i used rain-x its pretty much stopped. works great in the rain not so great on ice and snow.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Pro

I saw it here somewhere on the forum, but for the life of me I can't find it even with a search. Does anyone have detailed directions for how to switch out the OEM wiper blade inserts? I want to turn them around as per the suggestion a few posts up. So far I've been able to detach the wiper assembly from the arm, but I can't figure out how to unlock the blades from the assembly.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM

04/05 or 06-08?

If the 04/05, it's pretty simple. One end of the rubber will be "closed", and the other end of the rubber will be "open". The rubber, and 2 thin metal spines inserted into it, slide into the frame. The "closed" end has little rubber nubs that you won't be able to see, but those nubs basically hold the blade from sliding out. Grab the rubber + spines near this closed end and push it so that the closed end moves away from the frame (slides out). It might take some force to get those rubber nubs to give way and allow the blade to slide out.

Installation of the new one is the exact reverse, and you will re-use the spines.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by curls
04/05 or 06-08?

If the 04/05, it's pretty simple. One end of the rubber will be "closed", and the other end of the rubber will be "open". The rubber, and 2 thin metal spines inserted into it, slide into the frame. The "closed" end has little rubber nubs that you won't be able to see, but those nubs basically hold the blade from sliding out. Grab the rubber + spines near this closed end and push it so that the closed end moves away from the frame (slides out). It might take some force to get those rubber nubs to give way and allow the blade to slide out.

Installation of the new one is the exact reverse, and you will re-use the spines.
Sorry. It's an '06. Should have been more specific.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM

Then I can't help you, sorry.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM

P. 308 of the owner's manual? (If you don't have it, it's online; check the FAQs for the location.)

Not sure they can be reversed ... as one end of the blade has the "lock" marking.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Pro

P. 308 of the owner's manual? (If you don't have it, it's online; check the FAQs for the location.)

Not sure they can be reversed ... as one end of the blade has the "lock" marking.
I'll be damned. Funny too, because it's not even in the service manual! You'd think there'd be something on wipers in there. I went through something like 800pgs
Old 12-11-2008, 05:16 PM

A for effort.

(laughing with you, not at you, btw)
Old 01-01-2009, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 06 tsx does the same even after replacing them once. Maybe acura needs to address this problem with a recall to correct.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM

... I've had both my wiper arms replaced, and I'm still getting that damn chattering on the passenger side wiper. I know it's not the blade since I condition it and it is only 3 months old. However, I'm wondering if there's a way the adjust the tension on the spring in the wiper arm? Since I've already had the arm replaced, and I don't want to go with aftermarket blades quite yet, I'm wondering if there's a diy to make the arm rub up against the windshield with a little more force. ....
Any thoughts?
I replaced my blades after ripping one trying to see how they are changed out. Used the opportunity to create a DIY thread.

But after changing my blades, the wipers are as silent as church mice. I cleaned out the wiper assemblies themselves. But I noticed that without the windshield, blade and stiffening slats, the wiper assembly curves quite demonstrably. If you take your passenger blade out, does the wiper curve? It if doesn't, I'd suspect the wiper is the bad component, not forcing a good connection of the blade against the windshield.

All this is comes with the assumption that the windshield is quite clean. A dirty windshield, or one with aftermarket gunk on it, makes me say "all bets are off."

I saw it here somewhere on the forum, but for the life of me I can't find it even with a search. Does anyone have detailed directions for how to switch out the OEM wiper blade inserts? I want to turn them around as per the suggestion a few posts up. So far I've been able to detach the wiper assembly from the arm, but I can't figure out how to unlock the blades from the assembly.
I wasn't satisfied with the instructions in the OM, so I did the aforementioned DIY. Hope it helps. If reversing the blades doesn't do it, I'd look at the springiness/curvature of the wipers themselves.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Pro

I'm going to replace the blades per your advice David (thanks!) and see what happens. It's been about 6months since I've had them replaced, so it's likely that the blades are the culprit. Another thing that makes me think it's just the blades wearing out is that the passenger arm only chatters on the "up" movement. It is smooth on the downward movement. So it's likely that the blade is just bent after sitting in the sun going unused in San Diego weather That, and the fact that I already had BOTH my wiper arms replaced leads me to fault the blades. I'll use your DIY and see if the passenger arm still chatters. I'll report back once I've actually gone and bought the oem blades, but I'll probably just wait until my next oil change next month. I was taking apart one of the arms and accidentally broke a tiny clip on that shiny black outer piece that hides the moving parts of the arm. So I really need to get to the dealership anyways now!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 PM

If you think it's the passenger blade, just reverse it. If it's the "angle of the dangle," then reversing it might, just might, make it squeak/chatter on the down stroke afterwards. Ding-ding-ding, problem identified.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Pro

If you think it's the passenger blade, just reverse it. If it's the "angle of the dangle," then reversing it might, just might, make it squeak/chatter on the down stroke afterwards. Ding-ding-ding, problem identified.
I don't think you can reverse the actual blade assembly as the locking mechanism only works one way. I could remove the wiper rubber insert, but I think that's also required to go in a certain way. I bought new rubber inserts for my passenger side and the damn thing started to chatter again within 1 month of using it (used wipers rarely (SoCal) and I condition them weekly). I think it's just a bad design at this point. I doubt my dealership will let me replace my passenger arm assembly again under warranty. But they should! It almost looks like the arm is pressing the blade too hard against the glass. who knows. Anyone else have a fix besides going to aftermarket blades? I like the low profile OEM 06+ blades.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Holy thread revival, Batman.

Let's be clear about terms. The wiper arm is the thing that pivots on the motor spindle. The wiper assembly is the cross piece that locks to it. The wiper blade is the "rubber insert" that actually sweeps across your windscreen.

You can put the wiper blade in either way on the 2006 ICON style wiper assembly. The locking mechanism is a notch on the blade track, and (on mine at least) each end of the wiper assembly track is the same. You simply insert the "open" end of the blade, slide it in, and the last part of the blade to go in is the "lock" end. (You folks with dirty minds, stop giggling.)

I just replaced my wiper blades as they were starting to make a little groaning/dragging sound. So for me, on a scrupulously clean windscreen, they lasted about a year.