Acura tsx 2006 couple of annoyances and questions

Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura tsx 2006 couple of annoyances and questions

Long time no talk, I think i posted here a few months ago about having issues with my navigation unit (blank screen). I removed the navigation dvd drive and so far Havent found anything to replace it but I have a phone mount so I use my phone gps which is better than the car gps.

I have a couple of questions though. My car right now has an issue, when going between 10 and 40mphs , if I am stepping lifhtly on the accelerator, the car wobbles, I dont pay much attention as at normal highway speeds (60 to 70mph) the car handles like a dream and I have yet to see an issue with this , but I wanted to ask here if anyone has this weird wobble or vibrations between 10 and 40mph , or at least when using 2nd gear.

Another question, right now the car has an issue with noise isolation, people can clearly hear anything from inside the car outside. And when driving above 40mph wind noise is annoying. I suspect that the issue comes from the visors covers on my car (one on each window and one on the roof). However due to hurricane Irma, the rain got inside the car, I suspect that it made a pool over the sunroof visor and it leaked through something. Do you guys think that if I replace the rubber seals for the sunroof and windows the noise isolation will be better?

And one last thing. Lately, the air conditioner has been doing this weird thing that when I turn it on on auto (cant turn it on any other way as without a navigation drive the screen wont work) it engages the air recycling, and if I turn off the air recycling it then turns off the ac. Is there a way to stop this behavior? or be able touse the screen to control the ac and other stuff without a working navigation drive??.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
w/r/t the wobbling: at lower speeds, does it only occur when you are accelerating? I have a similar issue at ~25mph. I plan on replacing the front and passenger side engine mounts which are partially torn. I previously had similar issues at higher speeds, and that turned out to be the axles -- I assumed it was the same issue again, replaced the axles again, but it didn't help.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by green_henry
w/r/t the wobbling: at lower speeds, does it only occur when you are accelerating? I have a similar issue at ~25mph. I plan on replacing the front and passenger side engine mounts which are partially torn. I previously had similar issues at higher speeds, and that turned out to be the axles -- I assumed it was the same issue again, replaced the axles again, but it didn't help.
Yep, only when accelerating, but light acceleration. Lets say im just trying to keep my speed at 20 or 30mph, it happens, the whole car vibrates . If i just step on it , or accelerate faster, it doesnt happen. This is an automatic transmission . I did test driving it in semi automatic, at 2nd gear, and it happens at second gear, if I step lightly on the accelerator, it vibrates a bit and kinda of wobbles, But if I accelerate a bit faster it stops.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Without the Navi screen, you are limited to features like up/down the driver and passenger's temp, defrost windshield, dual front seat controls, or turn the system on/off. All other controls are can only be access from the navi touch screen IF you want manual control (A/C on or off, vent(s) control, fans speed) The system in Auto mode decides what vents to use and when to use the A/C in normal or recirculate mode. I think what is happening is when you turn off re-cycle mode button, it goes into manual mode. Manual mode may or may not have anything selected like vent(s), fan speed, A/C on or off; but, you can't see or adjust that without a display.

You might be stuck having to fix the navi screen to access A/C controls or audio controls (bass, treble, fader, balance, presets).

Is it possible the touch screen might be working and only the image isn't showing? You could hit area with "5" fan speed to see it that does anything when you press out of Auto A/C mode?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Without the Navi screen, you are limited to features like up/down the driver and passenger's temp, defrost windshield, dual front seat controls, or turn the system on/off. All other controls are can only be access from the navi touch screen IF you want manual control (A/C on or off, vent(s) control, fans speed) The system in Auto mode decides what vents to use and when to use the A/C in normal or recirculate mode. I think what is happening is when you turn off re-cycle mode button, it goes into manual mode. Manual mode may or may not have anything selected like vent(s), fan speed, A/C on or off; but, you can't see or adjust that without a display.

You might be stuck having to fix the navi screen to access A/C controls or audio controls (bass, treble, fader, balance, presets).

Is it possible the touch screen might be working and only the image isn't showing? You could hit area with "5" fan speed to see it that does anything when you press out of Auto A/C mode?
The issue was the nav unit DVD drive. thes creen turns on but is blank. (black,) . I removed the dvd drive to attempt a manual repair but have no idea what to do to fix it. I know it turns on if its plugged in , but there is no sound from the dvd drive after just a light on . nothing.

That issue seems to be with teh Alpine unit which is the one I removed. I called them to quote a repair but itwas about 400$. And I just cant buy a used one for 300 either as it might just stop working like this one .

The only solution I can think of is somehow making the nav unit work with a flashdrive or something , bypass the alpine unit dvd. But then, I have no idea. Why does the computer that controls the AC and all those settings has to be the dvd unit in the trunk which is prone to damage?
Thanks for the tip though, I suppose auto contro lworks, but without an image on the screen I cant control anything else. And without the dvd unit from the trunk, Dont know if it is possible.

Other question, is your acura tsx nav unit working perfectly? are the maps up to date?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:54 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I've had my 06 TSX 5AT w/ navi since new and I have a little under 140,000 miles on her. My navi is still working and I update the maps every 2nd or 3rd year only because the TSX is just an in-town commuter car for my kid in college. Most of my wear/tear issues started after 100,000 miles like alternator, power steering pump, front passenger control arm, and rear camber kit. Purchasing used parts can be hit or miss. The dealership wanted $1000 to replace the leaky power steering pump on my TSX. I found a used unit on eBay from a 07 TSX with half the mileage for $101 shipped from eBay and a local shop installed it for $135.

It might be worth getting a used DVD player if the price is right. I don't know if the 04 or 05 Navi dvd player is compatible with the +06 version?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've had my 06 TSX 5AT w/ navi since new and I have a little under 140,000 miles on her. My navi is still working and I update the maps every 2nd or 3rd year only because the TSX is just an in-town commuter car for my kid in college. Most of my wear/tear issues started after 100,000 miles like alternator, power steering pump, front passenger control arm, and rear camber kit. Purchasing used parts can be hit or miss. The dealership wanted $1000 to replace the leaky power steering pump on my TSX. I found a used unit on eBay from a 07 TSX with half the mileage for $101 shipped from eBay and a local shop installed it for $135.

It might be worth getting a used DVD player if the price is right. I don't know if the 04 or 05 Navi dvd player is compatible with the +06 version?
I dont need too much the navigation either. I have a cellphone mount that attaches to the CD tray and my phone works. My issue is losing control for Ac and other functions. But oh well. My TSX is about the same mileage, 100 miles shy of 140000. I will try to change the rubber seals and such, so far mmy steering pump is working. I dont take it anymore to the dealer and instead take it to a local shop specialized in Acuras and Hondas. I did a check on the brakes and everything and besides some particles on the old transmission the car is working perfectly. I am thinking of going to a junkyard looking for a wreck of a tsx and get out the dvd unit.

Search this Thread