At 67.000 miles my #1093 TSX has the clutch creaking problem, and ALSO....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:59 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At 67.000 miles my #1093 TSX has the clutch creaking problem, and ALSO....

so at 67k miles my car now has the infamous clutch squeek. outta warrant,y my car is now effected by the 2 major tsx problms, the clutch and also the headunit backlighting being out.

As a result I decided to purchase the Acura Care extended warranty, costing me about $1600 for 2 years, and coverage up to about 95,000 miles. I figure for about as long as I plan on keeping it.

BUT

the new problem today, is this AWFUL clacking sound, whenever letting off the throttle. durring acceleration, or when the clutch pedal is depressed, nothing, if the foot is off the gas, and the clutch is not depressed... 'CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK'

what the fuck is this now??? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The acura care warranty supposedly takes 30 days to take effect and has not yet done so according to my dealership (not the dealerhsip the warranty was purchased at)....

so is the car safe to drive until the thing takes affect in a few weeks? assuming they're not gonna try to get outta it by telling me its osme kinda wear and tear bullshit? (like this is supposed to happen on any 3-4 year old car with 67k miles on it.

I'd really apprecate any light shined on the subject as I dont have the money to pay for a diagnostic for now until the warranty kicks in. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:11 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the warranty effective period with the warranty provider directly.
I wouldn't be happy paying $1600 only then to have to wait a month before I can use it.
Equally, I'd be on the blower to Acura Customer Service and seeing if there's is as good as Honda's - if the JDPower results are to be believed - and asking them to offer a goodwill.
Mileage makes no difference, especially as you've done that well within the normal 3 years the warranty covers.
That'd be my argument to them, but being politely argumentative - if you know what I mean.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 AM

I'm going to have to get on the phone with a service manager at the dealer in orlando since i'll be there for the week anyway.

The warranty is through Acura Care which is american honda finance. It was sold to me as 'the only factory backed acura warranty that is essenitally the extention of the factory warranty'

The main question is though does anyone know what the hell this clacking is, and if I can get away with driving the car like that for a few days??
Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 PM

damn it it sounds like this guy's problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26647

shit i'm scared i DO NOT have that kinda money to replace shit and i know how the acura dealers are esp with my 21 year old, modded TSX, EVERYTHING is my fault and/or wear and tear. they dont usually own up to anything and I'm usally fucked, this is when i was in FULL FACTORY warranty let alone now when i'm in this acura care period, i'm almost sure they'll find a way to tell me 'its not covered'

fu*k f*ck fu*k
Old 12-16-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
damn it it sounds like this guy's problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26647

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
My transmission just failed with 107,000 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately i dont have the extended warrenty. I was driving down the road when i started to hear a clunk, clunk, like something was hitting the drive shaft/axle. It was a rotational sound; the faster i went, the noise got faster.
fu*k f*ck fu*k

thats what mine is doing, when the clutch is depressed though, the sound is gone. when i'm accelerating, the sound is gone. its only when i let off the gas and the car is 'coasting' or when the clutch is in.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:09 PM

any further insight?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:21 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

This clack sound goes away with slight pressure on the clutch pedal right?

If so, it's the throw-out bearing, it gets quiet when the clutch arm puts pressure on it. Simply have the bearing replaced, while they are at it redo the clutch assembly. The squeak is a wearing or worn pressure plate, specifically the fingers.

This happened to my 5-speed Accord some time ago.

This will happen to all Honda's at some point, just a matter of how hard you are on the clutch over time.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MrChad
This clack sound goes away with slight pressure on the clutch pedal right?

If so, it's the throw-out bearing, it gets quiet when the clutch arm puts pressure on it. Simply have the bearing replaced, while they are at it redo the clutch assembly. The squeak is a wearing or worn pressure plate, specifically the fingers.

This happened to my 5-speed Accord some time ago.

This will happen to all Honda's at some point, just a matter of how hard you are on the clutch over time.
can i drive it about 90 miles? I need to get to the dealership in orlando from tampa. they are going to honor the acuracare warranty that offically hasn't taken effect yet for a few weeks. will this be a warrantable repair?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Yep.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by PJS
Yep.
yep i CAN drive it 90 miles or yep thats the problem? or yep its a warrantable repair?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

yep i CAN drive it 90 miles or yep thats the problem? or yep its a warrantable repair?
You can keep driving it the bearing will only get worse and at some point, many many miles (say at least a 1000 or so.) it will likely wear out and take the entire clutch with it.

It's not a warranty repair, usually...you could state your case but clutch items are normal wear items and your issue. It's like the brakes and wipers the wear varies by user.

More then likely this is the issue, but only the dealer could say for sure...but your problem sounds very typical I'm 99% sure this the issue.

I'd have it fixed sooner then later, total bill can very by dealer figure $700--1000.00. But it should be good for another 60,000--100,000mi after that.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:42 PM

great just dropped 1600 to have some piece of mind and the one fukin thing not covered is what goes.

friggin bullshit. grrr
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 PM

can i have this bearing replaced without them touching the clutch? would that be cheaper?

I just graduated like a week ago i've got rediculious moving expenses and stuff and the cost of this is the last thing i need.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Sorry, didn't spot the first question there.
In that respect, then yes to both.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 PM

man if its warrantable i'll be thanking god like no tomorrow i'm scared shitless right now.

i'm driving it to orlando in the morning gonna drop it off for a few days since they dont have any appointments for a few days. i'm gonna just leave it with them to fit it in between stuff.

they're going to fix my headunit/faceplate back lighting, my pasenger door lock actuator, my squeeky clutch pedal all under warranty, and then hopefully they'll cover this clacking under warranty.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:04 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Before you do though, have a look at your policy.
Mechanical faults should be covered, but it pays to check out the details and especially the small print.
I've got to be honest and say $1600 for the extended warranty is bloody expensive. I know I can get one for mine here in the UK for £350/375 (~$670/715) and that's including our hefty 17.5% VAT (sales tax).
But that's an independent 3rd party one for 2 years unlimited mileage, IIRC. I'd need to dig out the info and check its coverage - that might be the mid-level, so some things aren't covered - but nothing major.
FWIW, I'd do a quick phoning around for other quotes for warranty, and if significantly cheaper, see if you can cancel this one for a refund, or get a refund on the difference, or some refund in acknowledgement that it's expensive.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
man if its warrantable i'll be thanking god like no tomorrow i'm scared shitless right now.

i'm driving it to orlando in the morning gonna drop it off for a few days since they dont have any appointments for a few days. i'm gonna just leave it with them to fit it in between stuff.

they're going to fix my headunit/faceplate back lighting, my pasenger door lock actuator, my squeeky clutch pedal all under warranty, and then hopefully they'll cover this clacking under warranty.
Let us know how it turns out. I'm approaching 67K, and this issue would be of great concern.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

can i have this bearing replaced without them touching the clutch? would that be cheaper?

I just graduated like a week ago i've got rediculious moving expenses and stuff and the cost of this is the last thing i need.
The labor is the expensive part, (you drop the tranny pretty much) it costs the same for the bearing alone as the bearing and the clutch, the clutch kit is about $200 more, so while the car is in the air at that age. It makes alot of sense to replace the entire unit as the bearing is usually part of a clutch kit.

If they do the bearing for free, and the labor of the bearing for free under warranty. I'd strongly advice you to see if you could pay for the clutch kit at the same time just in case. For $200-ish a new clutch is a steal if you get lucky.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM

thanks for the tips guys.

I dropped the car off at courtesy acura yesterday morning and they're going to be looking at it and hopefully finishing by saturday. the service manager seemed reall cool and really willing to honor the warranty even though it hasn't 'taken effect' yet--- however whetehr or not the policy coveres wahts wrong with the tranny remains to be seen.

I'll keep you guys posted. till then i'm rollin around in my Gramma's Pilot. :-)