2 weeks old, the sunroof doesnt work..plus LOTS of scratches...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004 | 09:11 AM
7th Gear

2 weeks old, the sunroof doesnt work..plus LOTS of scratches...

Firstly I want to say that I really love my Uk Accord.
However, when I picked it up from the dealer it had a number of scratches on. I pointed these out to the manager, who told me he would sort all these out when he returned from holiday, I have no reason to disbelieve him, but its disapointing.
Since picking it up, ive discovered even more scratches, the worst one being a very thin line (looks like a blade has caused this) that runs all the way from one rear wheel-arch to the other in a straight line. It even goes right through both lenses at the back I know this was an original scratch, as I pointed out part of it to the manager (i just didnt originally notice the complete line).
Theres a big scratch on the cover of the central information area (its a navi, so where the time/temp part is displayed).
Also (more..yes) the left rear wheel came with a scrape round the edge..thats one think im VERY mad about, as im a perfectionist when it comes to wheels.

Further (yes, theres more) the body kit doesnt look like its been painted very well, in fact there two bits where theyve totally missed painting altogether, and im convinced its a slightly lighter shade (although no one as said, and when asked, people cant really see it..must be me!)

Also, as per the heading, the tilt feature of the sunroof now doesnt work.

Im due to see the dealer tomorrow, so of course Im going to raise all these, but do you think ill have any problems?

I dont want to be a perfectionist, but surely this is unacceptable..I would accept this on a used car, but not a brand new one! In reference to the body kit, Im sure I could live with it, but this is something that may come round to bite me when I come to sell it, which is obviously no use.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2004 | 09:28 AM
04 remembrance

Surely, everyone can agree that they're "perfectionists" when it comes to their vehicle, so mention everything that seemed abnormal, and try to get it resolved.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-23-2004 | 09:50 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

My thought - go in insistant that this is unacceptable, because it is.
Old 07-23-2004 | 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcg878
My thought - go in insistant that this is unacceptable, because it is.
New cars do not (should not) come with scratcheses. Proceed to the dealership. Also, paint should match & thoroughly cover all parts.
Old 07-23-2004 | 11:48 AM

wow, this almost sounds like a car that had been in a accident and fixed up...do you have carfax over there across the pond?
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:20 PM
10th Gear

Wow! You are a patient person. I have refused to take delivery on new cars (not Acuras) until they fixed those "minor" things they promised would be taken care of on the first service visit. Amazing how quick things get done when the salesperson isn't getting paid. Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2004 | 03:32 PM
7th Gear

Yeah, I guess I am patient, and ordinarily I would'nt have accepted the car, but as my other car was a lease car that went back that day, I had no choice
It doesnt make things any easier that because im in a wheelchair, I literally couldnt use public transport to get home, or get to work, so really, I had no choice..bummer eh?

The manager DID say he wanted me to be happy with the car, and WOULD sort out all the problems, I guess im just a little concerned about the whole thing!

Anyway, ive just come in from washing it, and applied some nice NXT wax to it, so thats made me happy!

Ill let you all know tomorrow what happens, thanks for being supportive!
Old 07-24-2004 | 03:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Good luck Bananas, and I'd say to jcg878.
Old 07-24-2004 | 12:00 PM
7th Gear

Right, bit of an update for you..
I went to the dealer today, and although I knew the manager is on holiday (in my original post I mentioned he said he would sort these things out when he got back) I spoke to the other manager there, and he agreed that the issues raised above should be taken care of.
Thats good news, but of course I have to wait for the manager to come back from holiday. Still, its nice to get another opinion from one of the other managers at the dealer.
Ill keep everyone updated on my progress (and now my cat has just tried to jump up on the bonnet of the car, slipping down because its just been waxed, and left bloody claw marks on the chrome grill..noooooo!!!!)

Sigh!
Old 07-27-2004 | 05:40 PM
Instructor

Bananas- I hear cats are tasty...since the kitty got your grill, you get to grill the kitty!
j/k, I love animals.
Old 07-27-2004 | 05:52 PM
Instructor

those UK accords are made in japan or in europe?
Old 07-28-2004 | 03:21 AM
7th Gear

Lol soopirV900...thats certainly what I thought when I saw it happen..grrrrrr!!
Our Accords are made in Japan..I made a point to ask the dealer when I ordered it..hopefully this means it will be a bit more reliable!
Hopefully!
Old 08-06-2004 | 02:42 PM
7th Gear

Time for a quick update.
Seems I was a bit hasty blaming a broken sunroof..seems IM the one thats broken! I didnt realise you had to push the sunroof button UP in order to make it tilt... The first few times I opened it, I must've done that by accident.

Secondly, I went to the dealer today, and the sales manager said he would address EVERY problem on my list, as he agrees with them all. THe only one he couldnt see, was the 'apparant' colour difference of the body kit. He could'nt see a difference, and mind you, nor can 9/10 of my friends. I left it that he would ask the body shop manager his opinion, so I can't really argue with that.

Ill let you know more when the car comes back to me...the only issue is, I'll be without the car for 2 days..bummer
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:12 PM

good to hear the first problem fixed itself

hopefully the scratches will be taken care soon as well
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:45 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Bananas
THe only one he couldnt see, was the 'apparant' colour difference of the body kit. He could'nt see a difference, and mind you, nor can 9/10 of my friends. I left it that he would ask the body shop manager his opinion, so I can't really argue with that.

Ill let you know more when the car comes back to me...the only issue is, I'll be without the car for 2 days..bummer
just a note, plastics and metal shine differently, so that could be the reason you don't think they're painted right. every OEM kit is painted from the factory and has looked perfect to me.
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:26 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by Bananas
Time for a quick update.
Seems I was a bit hasty blaming a broken sunroof..seems IM the one thats broken! I didnt realise you had to push the sunroof button UP in order to make it tilt... The first few times I opened it, I must've done that by accident.

Secondly, I went to the dealer today, and the sales manager said he would address EVERY problem on my list, as he agrees with them all. THe only one he couldnt see, was the 'apparant' colour difference of the body kit. He could'nt see a difference, and mind you, nor can 9/10 of my friends. I left it that he would ask the body shop manager his opinion, so I can't really argue with that.

If the JDM model is like the ones sold here Stateside, when you press the CENTER of the moonroof button the window should pivot up enough to vent. To raise it any higher you would have to press the UP part of the button, but pressing the center button should pop the roof open a bit.
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Basically, NEVER TAKE DELIVERY of a new car that has ANY appearance problems-scratches, mismatched panels, colors, etc. Any problems with paint may NEVER be fixed to your satisfaction, no matter what promises the dealer makes. You have the right to refuse delivery until the car meets your expectations. It is a huge investment, and should not be delivered with noticable defects.

P.S.: I know from experience. When I went to take delivery of a new T-Bird in 1992, there were spots in the paint on the roof and hood. The dealer said it just needed to be buffed out, and to bring it in a couple of days later. (Of course, once I agreed and left the lot, I officially owned it.) Turns out, the spots were caused by acid rain where the car was stored in southern N.J., and NO amount of buffing would get out. The panels really needed to be totally re-painted, the dealer couldn't (and wouldn't) absorb that cost,and gave me songs and dances for about a year before I finally gave up.
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:15 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

dang. that sucks. good luck man. let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-18-2004 | 11:47 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by garpt
Basically, NEVER TAKE DELIVERY of a new car that has ANY appearance problems-scratches, mismatched panels, colors, etc. Any problems with paint may NEVER be fixed to your satisfaction, no matter what promises the dealer makes. You have the right to refuse delivery until the car meets your expectations. It is a huge investment, and should not be delivered with noticable defects.

Dealers will certainly make every effort to fix a car that they've outlaid the money in order for you to pick it up.

Let's just hope that everything works out for Bananas.
Old 08-18-2004 | 01:35 PM
cmf
ATCer

True, like my experience picking up my RSX-S. Bastards tried to give me a damaged POS. After a few rounds, they got me a brand new car, with a dealer trade, at their expense.