04 TSX - AC problem. Acura won't help. What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TSX - AC problem. Acura won't help. What's next?

Hello

My white 04 TSX AT has broken AC system which require replacement of compressor, evaporator, condenser, and other parts of AC system. An independent mechanic in San Diego quoted $2000 (mostly for parts)

I took the board suggestion and send certified mail to Acura Customer Relationship HQ in Torrance CA and today their rep called me and say they declined goodwill fix because my car is beyond 4year/50k miles (warranty period). Mine has 130k miles. Purchassed in November 2011 with 123k miles. When I bought it, I had it tested extensively and came back OK.

I wanted to escalate this because it is not an isolated case. There is a class action lawsuit for this issue but I couldn't benefit because of the age and miles.

Question: Does anyone has success in getting goodwill fix with similar car (age and mileage), and if so, how?

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post LawSuit

A federal judge in New Jersey has approved a nationwide class-action settlement for the current and former owners and lessees of more than 1 million Honda and Acura cars that allegedly suffered from broken air conditioning systems that manufacturers refused to fix under warranty, according to a lawyer representing the class of plaintiffs and court documents.

The federal lawsuit was brought in 2008, plaintiffs’ lawyer Matthew Mendelsohn said yesterday, and its settlement — which Mendelsohn said is valued at more than $40 million — was approved last month by U.S. District Judge Katherine S. Hayden in Newark.

According to Mendelsohn, the class represented in the suit included more than 2.4 million current and former owners and lessees. Thus far, he added, about 19,000 of them have made claims under the suit’s settlement, although he also expects many more to make claims in the future.

"I think the result we were able to achieve in this case was very good," he also said, while noting that it is rare for a lawsuit of this kind to be brought nationwide, rather than in an individual state.

The lawsuit was filed in Newark by Mendelsohn’s firm, Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, because the lead plaintiff, Jon Alin, lives in Montville.

Mendelsohn said the settlement, which comes after more than 3 years in court, provides tens of millions of dollars in reimbursements and vehicle modifications to be paid for by Honda and Acura, more than $2.5 million in fees and expenses awarded by Judge Hayden to the attorneys representing the settlement class, and approximately $2 million in administrative expenses to be paid by Honda and Acura.

Still, he said, 2 class members have filed objections to the settlement, and that payouts under the settlement are stayed pending resolution of those appeals.

According to Mendelsohn, the cars named in the lawsuit were the 2005 to 2007 Honda Odyssey, the 2002 to 2004 Honda CR-V, and the 2004 Acura TSX.

"The problem with the cars was the air conditioning systems was failing prematurely, and in some cases was resulting in catastrophic failures," Mendlesohn said. "For instance, on the Honda CR-V, the air conditioning compressor would implode and shoot debris throughout the entire air conditioning system, so that it would require replacement of associated air conditioning parts, not just the failed part itself."

A call made yesterday afternoon to 1 of the lead defense lawyers for Honda was not returned.
The following users liked this post:
dura17 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dura17
Hello

My white 04 TSX AT has broken AC system which require replacement of compressor, evaporator, condenser, and other parts of AC system. An independent mechanic in San Diego quoted $2000 (mostly for parts)

I took the board suggestion and send certified mail to Acura Customer Relationship HQ in Torrance CA and today their rep called me and say they declined goodwill fix because my car is beyond 4year/50k miles (warranty period). Mine has 130k miles. Purchassed in November 2011 with 123k miles. When I bought it, I had it tested extensively and came back OK.

I wanted to escalate this because it is not an isolated case. There is a class action lawsuit for this issue but I couldn't benefit because of the age and miles.

Question: Does anyone has success in getting goodwill fix with similar car (age and mileage), and if so, how?

Thanks for your ideas.
Why can't you benefit from the law suit because of the age and miles? I have 158k on mine and the AC unit has had similar problems. I'd like to get in on the suit just so I have my AC paid for and repaired
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear

The older your car is, the less you will receive from Acura

https://alinlitigation.com/Frequentl...Questions.aspx
See question 14.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear

Update: So Acura politely declined to assist in goodwill fix because of the mileage and age parameters (8+ years / 96000+ miles).

I need to start saving to fix the AC though. Can fellow forum members share if the problem is completely resolved or could regress again after a new compressor/evaporator/condenser replacement. Thank you for your insight.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
literally same problem. spent almost 4k on my ac system and no fix.

I would get about 15 min of cool air and then hot damp air. I learned that if i cycled the "auto" and "off" buttons back and forth a dozen or so times and then hit "auto" one last time it would kick in with cold air. So it had to be an electrical problem.

I then opened hood, removed the 5 relays that are symbolized by snowflakes on the fuse box legend. then plugged them back in. some how, some abstract way, my ac works. It hasn't worked this well in 2 years. even with the hot days in the south east as of the past few days (~115's w/ heat index) the ac kicked right in and started cooling the car. I have no explanation other than maybe the relay contact was bad or somehow by removing it and reinstalling the relay was reset. Not sure, but worth the try before you drop as much as I did.

Good luck.