Phase 2, Part 1 (just a few pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Phase 2, Part 1 (just a few pics)

Just a few interim pics until everything is in...

Thanks to Josh and his team at Excelerate. They did an amazing job with everything

And a few pics of the gauge setup:

Pic of the car:

And a quick (crummy) video. Watch the green light in the middle...when it lights up, that tells me water/meth is being injected. It's set up to spray 10% at 1psi and 100% at 3psi.

Overall impressions of running the water/meth is definitely positive. The car runs very smoothly and there is a definitely a power boost. It basically feels like it's running in the winter, except it's 90F. Great pull from anywhere in the power band.

...and one more quick acceleration vid:

Next up...high boost pulley and 225ml nozzle for water/methanol (currently running 175ml). Going to have it monitored for knocking and other things when it goes on. Hoping everything will work .
Old 08-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Nice
Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM
A Passionate Performer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow.. nice car dude.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

damn i like the acceleration vid...damn i want a supercharger now..ahha
Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure you keep us updated!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i'm glad you took this step forward and are planning to up the anty! please keep us posted of your experiences/opinions/discoveries. great job
Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Driver/Detailer

Wow! 3rd gear finishes so quickly! It takes forever in my car.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
team LoL

wow that is a sweet set up.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Racer

I wonder if you have the fastest TSX .
Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

lol im looking at the acceleration vid going "thats lame" than im like oh thats in miles.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Racer

sweet
Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by losothefatso
I wonder if you have the fastest TSX .
I think he has the 2nd fastest street legal tsx..

I think ben down in the south has the fastest tsx unless that dude with the turbo'd tsx got all this things working properly....

still, this is a nice setup, let's see if i have some money to throw at this product...
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Weren't you selling the car? Or am i mistaken
Old 08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jmathew34

I think ben down in the south has the fastest tsx unless that dude with the turbo'd tsx got all this things working properly....

still, this is a nice setup, let's see if i have some money to throw at this product...
His TSX is a beautiful car but do we have any times on these cars ? All of those mods sound good but are they worth the cost? What does a supercharged TSX w/o spray run 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
guess you gotta keep the tsx
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UNEVAKNO
His TSX is a beautiful car but do we have any times on these cars ? All of those mods sound good but are they worth the cost? What does a supercharged TSX w/o spray run 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
good questions...i've never even done a dyno run on my car and i've logged over 40,000mi with my s/c setup...i should go to the tracks to get the times done too...

I think we might have a few guys that did 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs might have to run a search on that though...

as far as cost and modding, that is always a subject matter that should be left up to the person buying the performance product...because we all know that $3,000+ maybe worth it to some people and not to others...
Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
If you can get some numbers I would like to know. I have achieved some good numbers in the 14's with my TSX on all motor (normal aspirated/ stock motor internals/ with bolt ons) and I expect it to be faster when I get it back this week.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the comments, guys .

Originally Posted by jmathew34

From what I understand, Ben was having issues and his car wasn't running smoothly (plus, he's moved onto a project car that he can actually tune ), so he ended up going back to the stock S/C setup since the TSX is his daily driver. However, he was one of my main motivations to mod my S/C, not to mention he was also the one who provided me with the high boost pulley, so I definitely thank him for all he's done.

Originally Posted by Ruserious
Weren't you selling the car? Or am i mistaken...
Originally Posted by minkl81
guess you gotta keep the tsx
Ha, yeah I had it posted up in the BM for a while. Once it was paid off, I started thinking about what else I could move on to. My post was mostly meant to test the waters. However there wasn't much interest, and since I still love my car, it'll be around for a little while longer. Let the modding continue...

Originally Posted by UNEVAKNO
I don't have any drag slips to confirm what I'm running, but based on my experience running against other cars from a dig, I'd say my 0-60 is in the low-mid 6s, maybe lower with a better driver than me. But to be honest, that's not really what I'm about. I'm modding my car to be a fast daily driver, not a fast track star. If it drives well around town and on the highway, that's all I'm interested in.

That said, I also haven't gone to a drag strip because if I clutch dropped on my stock tranny to get a good launch, I feel like there's a possibility that I'd grenade my transmission. Once I upgrade the transmission (phase 4), then I'll most likely take it to the strip for the hell of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
very clean installation!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTso
very clean installation!
Thanks man, but the kudos should goes to Josh and his team @ Excelerate.

Speaking of, thanks to you for your words of advice as well .

I didn't end up going with the FJO or PLX units that we had previously discussed, but I'm fairly confident that the AEM gauges/wideband sensor should work well enough.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice man

Keep us posted on how she's running. Any idea what your A/F ratio is at while you're WOT?
Just wondering how the Methanol is effected your Air/Fuel Ratio.

Very nice gauges man! Can you datalog the readings from them?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Whats does the pulley upgrade change the psi to. Also what are you going to us to fuel tune for the methanol. Spraying methanol alone will not negate much of a gain. It is only there to assit in Air Intake Charge when the sc/turbo is out of its efficeny range and causes the air charge to get to hot. Which will increase the risk of knock/ping, causing a pull of timing or boom. You also need some way to adjust timing as you will have an affect on fuel burn.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Very nice man

Keep us posted on how she's running. Any idea what your A/F ratio is at while you're WOT?
Just wondering how the Methanol is effected your Air/Fuel Ratio.

Very nice gauges man! Can you datalog the readings from them?
Hey man, thanks .

Per the sensor mounted in my header, my A/F ratio is about 10.2:1 at WOT. Based on my previous dyno (where the A/F ratio was measured at the exhaust), I'm running about 0.5-0.75 points richer than before with the 175ml nozzle. The engine feels much more solid now, like it's not even strained under full load. It also feels noticeably smoother than before.

The gauges are great. I really like the dual LED/digital displays, and they match the interior better than I expected. You can datalog readings from the controller as I believe it has a RS232 port for laptops, but I haven't checked into that yet.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Methodx
Whats does the pulley upgrade change the psi to. Also what are you going to us to fuel tune for the methanol. Spraying methanol alone will not negate much of a gain. It is only there to assit in Air Intake Charge when the sc/turbo is out of its efficeny range and causes the air charge to get to hot. Which will increase the risk of knock/ping, causing a pull of timing or boom. You also need some way to adjust timing as you will have an affect on fuel burn.
All good questions and concerns. Unfortunately, due to our lack of a tuning option I won't be able to do anything in terms of manually adjusting timing or fuel delivery. I know the ECU can make minor adjustments to ignition timing based on current conditions, but I'm sure it'll be relatively insignificant.

The high boost pulley I'm using should only add another 2psi or so (20whp). My intention wasn't to extract tons of boost from the blower, but rather to try and maintain a nominal A/F ratio once water/meth is added to the mix. The additional power beyond cooling the IAT via water/meth is just a bonus in my eyes.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Richer is very bad, as it will make you loose power. Your a/f should be around 11.3 to 11.7. You need a tune real bad.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

That car will run stronger without the methanol. What methanol are you using M1,M2, M3 or M5. Are you mixing 50/50 with water. I am only making this reply is because my last car was a Subaru STi. We were using methanol quite a bit and gains were only made with a tune. With a psi increase and just methanol we actually add very minimal gains. We were able to slightly increase torque but the horsepower fell off quite abit up top. Using methanol without a tune will not hurt the car but, it we be like pissing money away. There are several units that will allow fuel tuning. Apexi, Aem,Dtec and Greddy e manage. They all range around $400 and will require taping into the ecu. I believe the aem will allow timing control also. Its just a getting an ecu pinout and someone who is knowledgable of the unit you are utilizing.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Methodx
That car will run stronger without the methanol. What methanol are you using M1,M2, M3 or M5. Are you mixing 50/50 with water. I am only making this reply is because my last car was a Subaru STi. We were using methanol quite a bit and gains were only made with a tune. With a psi increase and just methanol we actually add very minimal gains. We were able to slightly increase torque but the horsepower fell off quite abit up top. Using methanol without a tune will not hurt the car but, it we be like pissing money away. There are several units that will allow fuel tuning. Apexi, Aem,Dtec and Greddy e manage. They all range around $400 and will require taping into the ecu. I believe the aem will allow timing control also. Its just a getting an ecu pinout and someone who is knowledgable of the unit you are utilizing.
Yes, I am using a 50/50 water/meth mix and unfortunately no, there is no way to tune without a custom harness. I believe BigBen attempted to use the AEM F/IC (along with RC550 injectors briefly) in place of the CT piggyback ACM, but he ran into issues with that setup. I can't remember the specifics, but he said it wasn't worth re-attempting.

As far as running stronger without methanol, I would have to disagree. I'm not injecting large amounts at a time, and my goal was to initially reduce IAT which helps with both power delivery and output. I'm not noticing a night and day difference, but I definitely feel the car runs better and smoother with the methanol than without.

Pulley should be going on later today, so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm not going to expect too much, if at all, but at this point any form of (safe) gains will be worth it .
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Love your ride! Very well put together!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been working on my own Meth injection system, but the fact that Walgreens will only sell me one box of Sudafed at a time is really slowing things down.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Well the pulley change should be quite noticeable. As far a the injection if you say if feels better I will take your word. I wish someone made away to make this car more tuner friendly. It makes me miss the scooby. Well good luck keep us posted I would like to know what happens.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts
hope you post up tonight abought this cause if you have success with this along with the light weight crank pulley I will be doing them right away.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Love your ride! Very well put together!
Thanks man, I love(d) all of your ride(s) too .

If you had kept your 335i a little while longer, I would have considered taking that off your hands .
Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
hope you post up tonight abought this cause if you have success with this along with the light weight crank pulley I will be doing them right away.
I might post something up later tonight, but if all goes well I plan to dyno it next Monday...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick update...

I went to get the high boost pulley installed Wed night, but found out that the belt I brought was too long. It turns out that the only belt that can fit with the high boost pulley is a 75.5" 7-rib special order direct from Gates (via NAPA auto parts). On top of that, it's pretty damn expensive for a belt. Coupled with the fact that the guy who can datalog/monitor my engine is out on vacation, it'll be another two weeks until I can get everything installed properly and dynoed.

I also found out that because Comptech sets up the S/C kit to run rich already, my RT cat is essentially shot. This means that for all you S/C owners, you'll most likely have to either continually replace cats over its lifetime or run a test pipe. For me, I'm probably going to hollow out my RT cat and run it as a test pipe. Just a word of caution...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Quick update...

I went to get the high boost pulley installed Wed night, but found out that the belt I brought was too long. It turns out that the only belt that can fit with the high boost pulley is a 75.5" 7-rib special order direct from Gates (via NAPA auto parts). On top of that, it's pretty damn expensive for a belt. Coupled with the fact that the guy who can datalog/monitor my engine is out on vacation, it'll be another two weeks until I can get everything installed properly and dynoed.

I also found out that because Comptech sets up the S/C kit to run rich already, my RT cat is essentially shot. This means that for all you S/C owners, you'll most likely have to either continually replace cats over its lifetime or run a test pipe. For me, I'm probably going to hollow out my RT cat and run it as a test pipe. Just a word of caution...
Thanks for the heads up about the cat. guess I will have to remove it for now and always put it back in for inspection. thats gonna suck.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Instructor

your gauges look really good, i have some question.

- Where did you get it install?
- how much is it to install?
- Any place you recommended?
- what is the color at night?

thank you and keep it up....
Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
The sound of your car is orgasmic
Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
The sound of your car is orgasmic
You should hear it fly by you on the freeway with your windows down.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flookiez
your gauges look really good, i have some question.

- Where did you get it install?
- how much is it to install?
- Any place you recommended?
- what is the color at night?

thank you and keep it up....
PMed

Originally Posted by Audioserf
You should hear it fly by you on the freeway with your windows down.
Haha, just trying to get by . Anyway, Josh's Si was MUCH louder than my car...
Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 AM

so any updates on this project. still waiting for the results to decide whether I will follow.

Quick Reply: Phase 2, Part 1 (just a few pics)