A nice dent...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A nice dent...

So I was leaving work today and found this:

No note, no "sorry i f@#$ed up your car and scratched your rim." I hate parking in the student lot!!!!!!!!! I wish people would have a little more consideration.

Even worse is that I've been thinking about selling my car and someone contacted me yesterday about buying it. I'm hoping I can get this fixed soon and it not cost an arm and a leg. My deductible is $1000

~Amanda
Old 04-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Bit*h get in my car

Thats jacked up...hope u find them and kill them
Old 04-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

I got more then 7 dents. Bye.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Quattro in.....

Sorry about your car mandercruso Some people are so inconsiderate. I hate public lots too! I have to park at a commuter lot and have to deal with door dings and scratches probably from a briefcases or backpack brushing againt my car.

not sure how you would have gotten a scratch like that though.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Hondaholic

They even got the new rims . Sorry to hear about this Amanda............
Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandercruso
My deductible is $1000

~Amanda
Amanda,
You should lower your Comp (OTC) deductible to $250 or $500, it should not significantly impact your premium (collision is the expensive part). If you carrier will not let you set different deductibles, I would find one that will.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:04 PM
TSX JIGALO

I feel your pain...

Man pictures like these makes me motivated to park 2-3 blocks away from anyone... I feel your pain ... it hurts... I wish we have built in 24/7 cameras in our car and sue those fukers for hitting your baby....
Old 04-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Apex Clipper

OMG... ouch! I had a similar mishap just last week, but not that bad! My neighbor was even considerate enough to tell me about it. So sorry to hear that jerk didn't leave a note or anything!
Over here in California we have "compact parking", at school I just double park over the double whites at the far end of the lot so ish like that doesn't happen. I hope everything works out...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Apex Clipper

BTW, though it's not really as pleasing as getting an insurance check etc., karma will get that asshole...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:14 PM
TSX JIGALO

Hey canyon, where you get those CF hood. Im in the market for one... PM me
Old 04-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

Its just a dent? Why would you want to sue someone for it?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by JOZMAN
Hey canyon, where you get those CF hood. Im in the market for one... PM me
No....
You PM Me! lol j/k... I'm on it...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Luke 1:37

Wow, that's weird. My bro just got his 2004 WRX side swiped too while his car was parked, pretty much the same spot too. The fockers didn't leave a note or anything, just white paint on the dented side and scratched up rim.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn that sucks...

i'd estimate $500-$800 to get that quarter panel and rim fixed nicely.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Ouch, that hurts just to see it...I work at a university but I always try to find an end spot and park right on the outside line, even if that means i gotta walk an extra mile. So far all my dents/dings have come from parking on campus. Hope you can get that fixed quick, maybe one of those dent doctor places could fix that for cheap, then you could touch up with paint pen? Dunno about the rims tho...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 04-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider yousefl the luckest girl in the world. I got hit and run 10x worse then that and no note nothing. No offense but my hit and run was probably done by a female driver.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

I'll track down the perpitrator and slash his/her tires for $200
Old 04-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NDLunchbox
Amanda,
You should lower your Comp (OTC) deductible to $250 or $500, it should not significantly impact your premium (collision is the expensive part). If you carrier will not let you set different deductibles, I would find one that will.
You do realize that comp would not cover her hit and run accident, right? That would still be considered a collision accident. Therefore, the $1000 collision deductible still applies.

Most carriers don't care what deductible amts you choose. Premiums will just be higher for the lower deductibles.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:43 PM
o-qua tangin wann

i never park next to anyone

fuck other people
Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigblazinboot
i never park next to anyone

fuck other people

if you have a secret of keeping others parking next to you, please share
Old 04-30-2005, 12:05 AM
o-qua tangin wann

Originally Posted by matelot
if you have a secret of keeping others parking next to you, please share
the farthest possible spot

if i see someone park next to me i threaten to hack their limbs off with a rusty butchers knife
Old 04-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Got Phó?

People are to lazy to walk, just park far but i as you may know. YOu can never escape door dings.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigblazinboot
the farthest possible spot

if i see someone park next to me i threaten to hack their limbs off with a rusty butchers knife

Do that and get ready to say hello to getting keyed one day
Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Luke 1:37

Your best options are to park farther than everyone else so that no one will park there or park in the space that has the less cars surrounding you. I try to get the spot where only one car is next to me and on my driverside (so that I never forget to inspect my car). There's only so much you can do to prevent a door ding.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Your best options are to park farther than everyone else so that no one will park there or park in the space that has the less cars surrounding you. I try to get the spot where only one car is next to me and on my driverside (so that I never forget to inspect my car). There's only so much you can do to prevent a door ding.
LOL, that was no ding. That MF cut his/her wheel too early pulling out of the spot most likely and almost tore her baby a new wheelwell. I hear ya' though...
Old 04-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Geaux Tigers!!!

hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Parking on the LSU campus is a lot different than most places. You get down on your knees and praise Jesus if you are able to find a spot. There is no place you can park where no one can not park next to you.

Anyway, I'm about to head out to see if I can find someone to fix this at a reasonable price.

~Amanda
Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

that sucks. if they left a note - they might as well as given you their information.

that's what happened to my friend - someone hit her car and they left their phone number and name so that she could contact them and resolve it through the insurance company.

it's the only ethical thing to do.

some people are just plain asshats.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:28 PM
cmf
ATCer

hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Parking on the LSU campus is a lot different than most places. You get down on your knees and praise Jesus if you are able to find a spot. There is no place you can park where no one can not park next to you.

Anyway, I'm about to head out to see if I can find someone to fix this at a reasonable price.

~Amanda

Here's a far out there question for ya. Does the campus carry any type of insurance to cover things like that?

For example... When I was in the military, you could file a claim to get reimbursed for the deductible for incidents beyond your control that happened on the military installation.

Either way, sorry to hear about that.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You do realize that comp would not cover her hit and run accident, right? That would still be considered a collision accident. Therefore, the $1000 collision deductible still applies.

Most carriers don't care what deductible amts you choose. Premiums will just be higher for the lower deductibles.
Ok, you need to read my post more closely. Lowering your Comp ded will not SIGNIFICANTLY raise her premium. It will go up, but since Comp claims are rarer and less expensive, it will not go up as much as lowering her collision. She may be surprised to find she's only saving $100-$150 a year with $1,000 vs. $500 or $250 on comp.

Second, collision involving a parked auto is usually taken to mean upset or overturn. Since any number of things could have caused that damage, most companies would view it as an OTC claim (argument could be made it was VMM).
Old 04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, you need to read my post more closely. Lowering your Comp ded will not SIGNIFICANTLY raise her premium. It will go up, but since Comp claims are rarer and less expensive, it will not go up as much as lowering her collision. She may be surprised to find she's only saving $100-$150 a year with $1,000 vs. $500 or $250 on comp.

Second, collision involving a parked auto is usually taken to mean upset or overturn. Since any number of things could have caused that damage, most companies would view it as an OTC claim (argument could be made it was VMM).
In the context of this hit and run accident, I don't understand the rationale for bringing up the issue of the comprehensive coverage deductible.

When your parked car is hit by another car, that is covered under collision, not comp. It would be paid under comp if it was caused by a shopping cart or an animal running into it or a person keying it or hitting it with a baseball bat. Those things would be covered under comp. In Amanda's case, it was clearly caused by some asshole who backed out and scraped along the side of her car. It's a collision claim. If it was vandalism, I doubt the vandal would have gone to the trouble of putting a straight matching scrape to the rim.

What's VMM?
Old 04-30-2005, 04:46 PM
cmf
ATCer

Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

Originally Posted by cmf
haha... why do my threads always seem to get hijacked?

cmf.... my school doesn't have the insurance thing you are talking about. I called campus police and had a report filed but I asked the officer, "so basically I'm shit out of luck" and he said pretty much.

I went by a place called DentWorks today but they said it would need body work and they couldn't fix it. No body shops were open today so I'm hoping I can find a good place to fix it next week.

oh, and cmf, I can't believe you are selling your car! So sad. But I can't blame ya, I get sick of having the same car for 8 months (can't wait to sell mine). I go through cars more than I do cellphones. I've had 3 cellphones in 5 years and 4 different cars lol.

~Amanda
Old 04-30-2005, 10:18 PM
cmf
ATCer

haha... why do my threads always seem to get hijacked?

cmf.... my school doesn't have the insurance thing you are talking about. I called campus police and had a report filed but I asked the officer, "so basically I'm shit out of luck" and he said pretty much.

I went by a place called DentWorks today but they said it would need body work and they couldn't fix it. No body shops were open today so I'm hoping I can find a good place to fix it next week.

oh, and cmf, I can't believe you are selling your car! So sad. But I can't blame ya, I get sick of having the same car for 8 months (can't wait to sell mine). I go through cars more than I do cellphones. I've had 3 cellphones in 5 years and 4 different cars lol.

~Amanda

There you go. Sell yours and buy mine.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Geaux Tigers!!!

Originally Posted by cmf
There you go. Sell yours and buy mine.

haha, believe me, I'd LOVE to buy yours, but I've decided to take the SUV route for right now

~Amanda
Old 05-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
haha, believe me, I'd LOVE to buy yours, but I've decided to take the SUV route for right now

~Amanda
SUV route? Man... i had a nice 4runner. It was one of the most fuel efficient of the mid sizes. However, with gas prices going up. I sprung for the TSX.

lol, i guess gas doesn't matter to some.
Which one u getting?
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
In the context of this hit and run accident, I don't understand the rationale for bringing up the issue of the comprehensive coverage deductible.

When your parked car is hit by another car, that is covered under collision, not comp. It would be paid under comp if it was caused by a shopping cart or an animal running into it or a person keying it or hitting it with a baseball bat. Those things would be covered under comp. In Amanda's case, it was clearly caused by some asshole who backed out and scraped along the side of her car. It's a collision claim. If it was vandalism, I doubt the vandal would have gone to the trouble of putting a straight matching scrape to the rim.

What's VMM?
<- Insurance agent, former A&L Claims Adjuster.

VMM is Vandalism / Malicious Mischief. Comprehensive covers you if you hit an animal (so people aren’t compelled to swerve and cause a more serious accident), never heard of a case of an animal hitting a parked car.

We usually settled cases of damage to parked cars under the Comp deductible because it’s hard to prove what caused the damage and we want to keep the PH happy. Collision only applied to parked cars in cases of upset (the car was physically moved by an impact or very severly damaged) or overturn. And I disagree about what could have caused the damage to Amanda’s car. For all you know it could have been a wheelbarrow or someone carrying a cinderblock carelessly.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

And I disagree about what could have caused the damage to Amanda’s car. For all you know it could have been a wheelbarrow or someone carrying a cinderblock carelessly.
Wheelbarrow or cinderblock? I guess anything's possible since it was in the LSU campus parking lot.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:22 PM
The Designer

Being careful does only so much good as well, as someone pointed out earlier. Last week I was in NC on a trip and everywhere I park I am as far away as humanly possible without being an ass and sideways parking (my girlfriend never understands why I park so far away). Anyways at a hotel during the week I made it a point to park outside our window but on the far side away from any cars. Of course I wake up in the morning, go outside to go get lunch and what do I notice? A dent on my drivers side with blue paint, needless to say I was furious. and they came and left before I even woke up.

I think people who actually care about cars must be like 1% of the population because this sort of thing happens all the time.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

Originally Posted by Alin10123
SUV route? Man... i had a nice 4runner. It was one of the most fuel efficient of the mid sizes. However, with gas prices going up. I sprung for the TSX.

lol, i guess gas doesn't matter to some.
Which one u getting?

I'm getting the 4Runner lol. 05 Sport Edition V6. Probably 2wd with leather.. or I may go 'crazy' and get the 4wd lol. Gas has actually gone down a good $0.15 here so it's now right below $2. And even better is that my insurance is gonna go down $66 every 6 months with the 4Runner. Woo hoo!

Probably at the end of this month or the end of June I'll get rid of the accord... it all depends on how much it costs for me to get my car fixed. Argh... everytime I think about it I get more and more P.O.ed

~Amanda

Quick Reply: A nice dent...