Navi Conversion w/ Z1 finally DONE! Streeteffectz & CJAMS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Navi Conversion w/ Z1 finally DONE! Streeteffectz & CJAMS!

Hi Everyone,
I have thinking of doing a navi conversion for the longest time. From the time I compared the OEM navi to the Avic Z1, researched the Z1 and the features it had, researching this project totally took me about 1 year and a half. I consulted Streeteffectz for the install. Here are some pics of the install.

^
Eyes fill up with tears of joy when I see the LCD screen in the OEM location

^
Got the OEM Navi Boot screen as a background for my Z1

^
Unit Booting Up

^
3D Twin Map View mode, definite upgrade from OEM navi

^
Has Single Map View mode as well but allows you to zoom into a scale so detailed, shows lane information as well (Will test when I go to Downtown Seattle)

^
Integrated HandfreeLink Bluetooth, Just like the 06 TSX but integrated into the Navi system.

^
Mic for Voice Activation and Bluetooth

^
DVD's, MP3 CDs, XM and Serius Satellite, Ipod interface, rear view camera, tons of options.

^
The Pioneer Avic Z1 has 10 gb storage for Music, so I wont miss my 6 cd changer.

^
Unit is also Bypassed DVD is playable but I did the bypass b/c I prefer inputing address searches without having to pull over.

Here is the motorized door opening to the main unit.
^
Motorized Lower Unit opening (streeteffectz)

Big Special Thanks to STREETEFFECTZ. He built this custom headunit and the lower motorized unit. I got to say, it was a privilege to be his client as he treats his customers with respect and makes sure everything is done right and perfect.

Also I would like to thank CJAMS! He did the install for me. Chris is the man, made this install possible. We are going to add the steering wheel adapter next week so my Factory Steering wheel controls become integrated into the Z1. His Tint shop in fife does it all!

Feel free to ask any questions
Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is totally awesome!! you are the first one who put a non OEM navi in the factory navi location, and i am really proud of all of you whom worked together. Can you post some picture when the navi screen is open? (so i can see the cd insertion location)
Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SWEET!

how did you approach the a/c control wiring issue?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

wow, clean install & setup.. i have to look at it in person

btw, xenonhid, you should sign up for this meet so everyone can see it in person
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=357981&page=3
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Sweet setup, looks very nice.

Yes, Yes, more details! I'm sure there are others like me now, who after seeing how awesome this looks, are drooling with the thought of being able to have it in our tsx
Old 02-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great man!

I'm glad you guys were able to find out where to run the wires. Where did you guys end up putting the GPS antenna?

Also, time to add some more modules to that thing! The Ipod interface is great I heard. You can control all of the Ipod functions from the touchscreen. Let me know if you need more info later. I have the 6400 TV tuner, along with a couple of others.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Nice hyung! I'm proud of you. Haha

Just don't call me Spoon.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
CGP Ebony

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Looks great man!

I'm glad you guys were able to find out where to run the wires. Where did you guys end up putting the GPS antenna?

Also, time to add some more modules to that thing! The Ipod interface is great I heard. You can control all of the Ipod functions from the touchscreen. Let me know if you need more info later. I have the 6400 TV tuner, along with a couple of others.

Thanks Kenny! Your advice on the VSS was so helpful! Chris put the GPS antennae right in the center in the front window dash. Fed the wire through side, then along the top where the dash meets the windshield. Not visible from my seat, stealthy Plus the GPS signal is Excellent!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice..
Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah, no problem man That's a good place for the GPS antenna. Have fun with the deck man, I've heard great things about it. I like how you have the Acura Factory Navi as the background, I'm gonna have to steal that idea for my Pioneer N3...haha

Also, a couple of tips. The deck has a ton of EQ settings, so you're gonna probably be overwhelmed at first. First thing you should do is turn the loudness on. Put it to the medium setting. That makes a night and day difference. Then play with the different EQ settings. Try the preset factory ones, and if those don't work, make ur own custom one. Let me know if you have any Q's on that.

Try getting use to the deck before you hit the road. It's easy to get distracted by it...haha
Old 02-12-2007, 01:10 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
finally its up huh hyung! looks good. I can't wait to see it in person.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Banned

What parts did StreetEffectz build? Just the cable that separates from headunit located on the bottom with the screen located up top on the dash? How much did StreetEffectz charge you, and how much was the entire installation (not including the price of the equipment).
Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome man!! damn....now I don't have to get a flip screen!!

HOw much does this all cost?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh ya, nice Jap song! hahaha
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Instructor

is your TSX an 05 or an 06?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Arctic Blue TSX

Wow, look awesome!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
Awesome man!! damn....now I don't have to get a flip screen!!

HOw much does this all cost?
$3,000 plus the labor.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have a very sweet ride Hyung! It was a pleasure working on your car. That setup is so nice! Big props to Streeteffects on glassing the screen in to the factory nav location on the HU and motorizing the storage compartment lid to the Z1 HU. Very nice work! I especially love the use of the Pioneer stereo keys

To explain whats been done:

The screen on the avic Z1 was removed. The TSX Non Navi stereo face was removed and the Avic Z1 screen was fiberglassed in it's place by Streeteffects. An extension ribbon/cable was made to go from the new location of the screen to the Z1 Head unit in the former storage compartment. The motors on the Z1 Head unit were switched to push and pull the door on the storage compartment in and out to load and unload discs to the HU. The OEM stereo HU is still in it's place behind there. Crafty work by StreetEffects!!!

We had to unplug the clock readout at the top on the dash because we couldn't set the time without the OEM Stereo

Everything runs off of the OEM amp and speakers. He has no audio upgrades aside from the HU as of yet. This is the frist time I've been able to hear the OEM speaker and amp system run by another HU. It sounds better than the OEM HU for sure.

We still have to hook up the VSS wire and the steering wheel controls and any other minor lil fixes that may come up between now and then.

Definately a 1 of a kind system!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
In your case, it's dongseng, not hyung.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Ok sounds like my car will be going to streeteffects even though my buddy owns an audio shop that does amazing work. however since this is the 2nd one of these they have done I trust them more and it would be a great thing in a show car. just wish the fiberglass work could be done a little smoother instead of the pad that sticks out.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow that looks... flush holy crap lol
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Unauthorized User

$3000+ Labor? ouch
I spent half that on the AVIC-N3 + Labor even tho it doesn't have the same function as the Z1 but it works just as good.

Although your system came out great , i guess you regret not getting the Navi when you bought the car then?? It was only added $2k instead of what you paid for this setup.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Got Phó?

Nice.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice set up! Looks slick. 10 gig HDD will definatly come in handy!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
that lcd is off the charts
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh well it's

Does the clock above the vents still work?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

^^ No like CJams said in his post, you need the factory radio to set the clock. It doesn't matter because the Pioneer has it's own clock and gets its time from the GPS satellites.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

That looks sweet man
Old 02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
this this might be the next addition to my car. definitely a show worthy install.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
haha, i saw your videos of few days ago before you made this thread.

cool install
Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM
East Coast Crew

I hear Utada Hikaru!!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM
CGP Ebony

Yeah, no problem man That's a good place for the GPS antenna. Have fun with the deck man, I've heard great things about it. I like how you have the Acura Factory Navi as the background, I'm gonna have to steal that idea for my Pioneer N3...haha

Also, a couple of tips. The deck has a ton of EQ settings, so you're gonna probably be overwhelmed at first. First thing you should do is turn the loudness on. Put it to the medium setting. That makes a night and day difference. Then play with the different EQ settings. Try the preset factory ones, and if those don't work, make ur own custom one. Let me know if you have any Q's on that.

Try getting use to the deck before you hit the road. It's easy to get distracted by it...haha

Kenny, I actually had the LOUDNESS option off. Still it sounded so much better than the stock OEM Headunit. I turned it on and put it to LOW Loudness, and the sound quality improved much more!

I can hear the mid range tones so much better with clarity and more tight bass than the Stock radio.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Unregistered user

that's some sick a$$ install!!! pioneer has some crazy HU, i have the 880prs, not as flashy, but it has awesome sq
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by CJams
You have a very sweet ride Hyung! It was a pleasure working on your car. That setup is so nice! Big props to Streeteffects on glassing the screen in to the factory nav location on the HU and motorizing the storage compartment lid to the Z1 HU. Very nice work! I especially love the use of the Pioneer stereo keys

To explain whats been done:

The screen on the avic Z1 was removed. The TSX Non Navi stereo face was removed and the Avic Z1 screen was fiberglassed in it's place by Streeteffects. An extension ribbon/cable was made to go from the new location of the screen to the Z1 Head unit in the former storage compartment. The motors on the Z1 Head unit were switched to push and pull the door on the storage compartment in and out to load and unload discs to the HU. The OEM stereo HU is still in it's place behind there. Crafty work by StreetEffects!!!

We had to unplug the clock readout at the top on the dash because we couldn't set the time without the OEM Stereo

Everything runs off of the OEM amp and speakers. He has no audio upgrades aside from the HU as of yet. This is the frist time I've been able to hear the OEM speaker and amp system run by another HU. It sounds better than the OEM HU for sure.

We still have to hook up the VSS wire and the steering wheel controls and any other minor lil fixes that may come up between now and then.

Definately a 1 of a kind system!
Chris you crack me up... do you know what hyung means?? Sung hyung (older brother/ person) should be calling you hyung not you..
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 AM
mmmmmm....

^^ No like CJams said in his post, you need the factory radio to set the clock. It doesn't matter because the Pioneer has it's own clock and gets its time from the GPS satellites.
uh oh!!! then how is he going to change the time?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Kenny, I actually had the LOUDNESS option off. Still it sounded so much better than the stock OEM Headunit. I turned it on and put it to LOW Loudness, and the sound quality improved much more!

I can hear the mid range tones so much better with clarity and more tight bass than the Stock radio.
Thanks for the tip!
Loudness as a function is generally best kept to low volume listening.
It's primary reason is that most low freq drivers are not moved much by low electrical signals, so the loudness switch puts more focus on the bass to compensate.
Once you start cranking the volume, the bass driver is getting sufficient power to move the mass of the cone, so the loudness function is no longer required.
Too much and the increase in signal gain will cause distortion in the amp, which is the speaker killer.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Chris you crack me up... do you know what hyung means?? Sung hyung (older brother/ person) should be calling you hyung not you..
I'm not from around here....

I wish we had more time to edit our posts. I hit send, get caught up and then re read and can't do nutthin bout it! Sorries!

And he doesn't change the time on the clock because we unplugged the clock. The non Navi only has a clock up there and no temp display.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Have camera, will travel

Nice! Looks like CJams did a real clean install. Are you going to be at the meet?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 AM
OEM plus!

Nice installation. That is some handy work for sure. Patience must have been in abundance for that install, cause that is not a simple swap of a HU.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go the Z1 route and not just get an Acura TSX Nav unit put in? Was it all of the extra doo-dad's that the Z1 has over the factory nav that sold you on it?

Nother question, is that Z1 manufactured pre June '06? I hope so for your sake because Pioneer locked down all of the work arounds that the Z1 guys had going after that date (i.e. watching dvd's while driving, dialing while driving...etc)
Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Guinea Pig

This is how the unit showed up at the shop. The hardest part of the install was soldering male rca jacks to the input wires of the OEM amp. Was pretty simple after that. Just a little time consuming.

There are a few benefits of having this set up compared to the OEM nav. The main one is the DVD player. It also has a hard drive and a few other things we don't get with our Nav system. I like the setup. If I didn't have the OEM nav I would go the same or a very similar route.

Quick Reply: Navi Conversion w/ Z1 finally DONE! Streeteffectz & CJAMS!