Car/audio System pictures

can anyone post pics of there system
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
their - belonging to them
there - specifying a location

Just thought you might like to know the difference.

I'll be doing mine soon, but as it's just speaker replacement, there'll not be much to show.
Not unless you're referring to someone having done an amp and sub install - which IIRC, there's a few images in some threads if you do a bit of a search.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Advanced

...a work in progress... but I have a laptop computer, 7" lcd touchscreen, Alpine 701 DSP, Focal components, alpine type-r subs, and jbl amps.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Belongs in the Photography Section
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
...a work in progress... but I have a laptop computer, 7" lcd touchscreen, Alpine 701 DSP, Focal components, alpine type-r subs, and jbl amps.

that looks awesome. I see the 7" touchscreen. What's the deal with the laptop?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Racer

Did You Customized That Installation Kit Or Is That Available To Buy From Somewhere??
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts

can you post more pictures of this and the rest of your setup cause I am very interested in doing a similar setup.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
VSA Rocks

^^ X 2.

I'm also wondering if anyone has done a 7" LCD touchscreen (non flip style) in that storage compartment area and was able to keep their "not an ashtray" compartment.

Right now, I'm eyeing the Pioneer system, but don't know if it will fit.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
mmm.. i love alpine. makes me want to put in my old alpine headunit for shits and giggles. i love how they light up at night.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite.....

Old 12-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

That's BEAUTIFUL cJAMS. That work sure is pro. Nothing better.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Does your knob gets on your way?? That is the only reason I didn't bother to put a 7' screen there.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by CJams
My favorite.....

better than damn home speakers!!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Advanced

You cannot buy any kit that utilizes that space for a screen. They only have a DIN mount bracket to replace the huge pocket above "Not an Ashtray." ...so yeah, it's custom made with fiberglass and duraglass for reinforcing.

Probably the hardest part was trying to fit a 7" screen (4.5" height) and 2" controller in that space ...take a tape measure and go see how LITTLE space there is. In order to accomplish my goal I had to keep the curved contour of that dash part.

So, I removed the pocket and "Not an ashtray [wtf is it really called]," temporarily glued them together, covered them with tape and aluminum foil, and then fiberglassed the front facia. I then removed my fiberglassing and PRESTO, I now had a mold of the stock contour. I then did the same with my mold and now I had the screen layout. I then cut a hole for the LCD, and a hole for the controller ...this was a pain because now the piece was extremely flimsy ...so I had to start doing the trim rings for the screen and the controller to add strength ...then add duraglass to hold it all together and then I could finally make the front pretty because it was strong enough to sand and bondo and sand and sand and sand.

This was a pain for me just because I had to stuff a screen and a radio (basically).

Every car I've had I used a computer for the audio, video and navigation system. I've ran into a few hiccups, but I've found that the best solution is to use a Laptop computer with a digital audio out signal.

There's really not much to show aside from the screen. Everything else is tucked away and hidden.

Computer is a laptop under the passenger seat
Screen is a 7" Xenarc Touch Screen
Power Supply is a regular car DC-DC converter behind the glove box
GPS is a regular USB GPS receiver using iGuidance software
Audio/Video is played through my own software using Windows Media Player
Audio is fed through:
S/PDIF out on the laptop -> optical TOS converter -> Alpine PXA-H701 -> Amps
Voice Recognition - uses Microsoft Agent with a limited vocabulary. This actually works extremely well because it rarely mis-understands what you say - hence the limited vocabulary.

The laptop is automatically turned on and off from the ignition switch...when it's turned "off" it hibernates which makes startups quick. I do this through a digital decoder and a couple relays. I use the following signals:

ACC & IGN [diode isolated of course] to tell the computer to shut off when this signal reaches a low (0V)
STARTER to tell the computer to start up when this signal reaches a high (5V ...12V converted from voltage divider circuit)
USB Power - from the computer, when this is high I know whether the computer is already on or off (low - 0V)

The circuit for automatically turning the laptop on or off is probably the most intriguing part being that it works so seemlessly with the car.

There are no switches, buttons, breakers, tank circuits ...it's tightly integrated with the car.

In my old car I also integrated the unit with my steering wheel controls - I'll have to do that with the TSX as well.

I have a website up (that I haven't updated in a LONG time) that's a little more detailed of what I've done ...see: http://mci.expertwebcreations.com

Here are some more pics:

...and more: http://www.expertwebcreations.com/personal/tsx/audio/

enjoy!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced

oh, yes the shift knob does get in the way. But, cruising gears are usually 4th for city/local driving, and 6th for highway ...so the shifter is out of the way 90% of the time.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 PM
mmmmmm....

oh, yes the shift knob does get in the way. But, cruising gears are usually 4th for city/local driving, and 6th for highway ...so the shifter is out of the way 90% of the time.
but also its located in pretty low area. Its hard to adjust volume, station, and etc., while you are driving!? It still looks very clean and nice!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 PM
mmmmmm....

You cannot buy any kit that utilizes that space for a screen. They only have a DIN mount bracket to replace the huge pocket above "Not an Ashtray." ...so yeah, it's custom made with fiberglass and duraglass for reinforcing.

Probably the hardest part was trying to fit a 7" screen (4.5" height) and 2" controller in that space ...take a tape measure and go see how LITTLE space there is. In order to accomplish my goal I had to keep the curved contour of that dash part.

So, I removed the pocket and "Not an ashtray [wtf is it really called]," temporarily glued them together, covered them with tape and aluminum foil, and then fiberglassed the front facia. I then removed my fiberglassing and PRESTO, I now had a mold of the stock contour. I then did the same with my mold and now I had the screen layout. I then cut a hole for the LCD, and a hole for the controller ...this was a pain because now the piece was extremely flimsy ...so I had to start doing the trim rings for the screen and the controller to add strength ...then add duraglass to hold it all together and then I could finally make the front pretty because it was strong enough to sand and bondo and sand and sand and sand.

This was a pain for me just because I had to stuff a screen and a radio (basically).

Every car I've had I used a computer for the audio, video and navigation system. I've ran into a few hiccups, but I've found that the best solution is to use a Laptop computer with a digital audio out signal.

There's really not much to show aside from the screen. Everything else is tucked away and hidden.

Audio is fed through:
Voice Recognition - uses Microsoft Agent with a limited vocabulary. This actually works extremely well because it rarely mis-understands what you say - hence the limited vocabulary.

The laptop is automatically turned on and off from the ignition switch...when it's turned "off" it hibernates which makes startups quick. I do this through a digital decoder and a couple relays. I use the following signals:

ACC & IGN [diode isolated of course] to tell the computer to shut off when this signal reaches a low (0V)
STARTER to tell the computer to start up when this signal reaches a high (5V ...12V converted from voltage divider circuit)
USB Power - from the computer, when this is high I know whether the computer is already on or off (low - 0V)

The circuit for automatically turning the laptop on or off is probably the most intriguing part being that it works so seemlessly with the car.

There are no switches, buttons, breakers, tank circuits ...it's tightly integrated with the car.

In my old car I also integrated the unit with my steering wheel controls - I'll have to do that with the TSX as well.

I have a website up (that I haven't updated in a LONG time) that's a little more detailed of what I've done ...see: http://mci.expertwebcreations.com

Here are some more pics:

enjoy!
that is some serious work!! There is no way that I can do any of that stuff... Awesome work!!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Audio is fed through:

Here are some more pics:

enjoy!
where are you from and how much would you charge to do something like that.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow...you actually got a laptop just for the car audio/video/ navi??

damn man, and I am here without a laptop. YOur car has better assets than me
Old 12-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rmjjenson Great work! now that's some custom stuufs right thurr!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:51 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
Wow...you actually got a laptop just for the car audio/video/ navi??

damn man, and I am here without a laptop. YOur car has better assets than me
you could got decent laptop for $100 on black friday... too bad! Canada doesn't have black friday..hahaha/
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
you could got decent laptop for $100 on black friday... too bad! Canada doesn't have black friday..hahaha/

They're not THAT cheap on Black Friday <_<
Old 12-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Advanced

I used to do car audio/video customization professionally and then got out of it. I would go back, but only if I opened my own place. Right now I have no time to do any customizing work - the stuff takes time and patience neither of which I have.

Honestly though, if you guys are interested you should just try it. Just be patient - it's not going to look perfect at first ...or after a week ...or maybe even after a month! That's usually the problem, people are impatient so they're finished product is wavy, uneven, bubbles, or cracked.

I'm glad you guys like it. I like it too.

Keep in mind that this setup is cheap (compared to a flip out model).

For a laptop you can get a used one off of ebay for cheap! And, it doesn't even have to be 100%. There are so many laptops out there with broken LCDs, and guess what ...that doesn't matter to you because you'll be using an external display. Plus it doesn't have to be powerful, doesn't have to have excellent battery life, doesn't have to be lightweight. You can get away with a piece of crap machine. The laptop I use was built in 2000, it's a pentium 3, 1GHz with 256MB of RAM and a 20GB hd ...nothing spectacular. it doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive ...I use a panasonic slot load DVD-ROM from a laptop hooked up to an external USB 2.0 card. works like a champ although I didn't install it in the TSX. I never used it before so why go through the trouble.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:38 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
They're not THAT cheap on Black Friday <_<
circuit city, compusa and etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
circuit city, compusa and etc.

If they were, then

Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Instructor

rmjjensen:
very nice carupter.
I'm planning to do this soon except i will use my oem navi screen.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:11 AM
Burning Brakes