Turbo harmful to engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Holla Back Youngin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo harmful to engine?

Hey yall, i dunno much about turbo's, all i do know is that it adds a whole lot of horses under the hood. I've heard from a lot of people that it also hurts the engine, for example makin it blow? This is a powerful mod once it comes out for this car, but we all want our cars to last right? is there anyway, we can have a turbo, but be gauranteed that the car wont get hurt.. i mean im sure all these other cars that come turbo charged have a engine that can handle it, but can our k20 handle a turbo, I kno many already have turbo's on there rsx's and stuff, but will there cars last for a long time? i want my car to last me a good time, atleast till the end of dental school, and ima sophomore doing undergrad, i gotta while left.

*once again i know close to nothing about turbo's so can ya help me understand em better, and dont send me to some website i can do that myself. im looking to here from personal experience, or someone who knows his stuff. thanx a lot
Old 03-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro

Well, the cylinders are always seeing more pressure with forced induction, and more heat is produced during combustion (since there is more fuel and air to burn in each stroke). More pressure and more heat=more wear and tear on your engine. In addition to its high initial cost, a turbo WILL cost you more down the road (more parts to repair/lubricate, your tires will wear out faster due to the extra torque, etc). And your warranty will be shot to hell; the dealer can just blame any engine problem on the turbo.

I don't think the TSX is a great candidate for turbocharging; it was built for refinement, not to rip 300whp from the front tires. If you are like me, you bought an Acura for reliability and smooth VTEC power. Why ruin the reliability for jerky, laggy turbo power? You are better off with a WRX if you wanted that.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Holla Back Youngin

Good point made, any other views... im basically lookin to get to about 230 whp, and id be soooo damn happy.... gotta see what comes out in the future for our car... but definitely need to learn how a turbo works... whats up with all these other cars with turbo's on them.. will they last? for example.. the dodge sr-t, evo, wrx, A4, etc....
Old 03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I think a supercharger is a better candidate for the TSX, and if CompTech is working on one you might be able to get your dealership to install it and keep your warranty on most parts.

The stability of your engine will probably be determined by the amount of forced induction you use (boost). Use a lot and you'll probably destroy your pistons.

But no matter what forced induction route you go its guarenteed to cost a lot of money and shorten the life of your engine.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Holla Back Youngin

yea.. approx. how long will these engines with forced induction last.... estimate the amount of years... cause its pointless to spend all that money if it aint even gunna last 10 years..
Old 03-27-2004, 04:25 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The safest way to run any kind of boost (turbo, supercharger or NOS ...they all do the same thing) is to run lower compression, forged internals, and proper fuel management (keeping the right air/fuel ratio is very important).

Because the TSX is a high compression engine, you already have a challenge. But you can still do it, just keep your psi reasonable and ensure that you dont run lean and it will be relatively safe I suppose.

Anyway you cut it though you are reducing the lifespan of the engine.