TSX LSD Possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterk1
Why would that be? Autos also benefit. I know plenty of old 60's muscle cars with autos and LSDs - but of course they were called "traction-loc" or "positrac" or something else...

The main factor here is that, despite the potential effectiveness, the LSD in this application is for performance enhancement and as such the demand in an AT (with its higher drivetrain losses and lower potential for wheelspin) would be pretty low.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone heard of this company and/or used their LSD conversion kit product?

http://www.phantomgrip.com/catalog/...&products_id=30

PHANTOM GRIP XTREME LSD KIT The Phantom Grip Limited Slip conversion kits install into your non-lsd differential converting it into a proven and competitive limited slip differential that enhances your traction needs. Phantom Grips 2-way LSD will considerably improve handling in daily driven, street/strip warrior, or full race vehicle. Every Phantom Grip is constructed of only the highest-quality hand selected materials. With over 500,000 miles of vigorous professional performance testing (SCCA, drag, rally, hill climb, ice, rain, etc.), we have been able to fine tune each application through specific heat treating and rockwell testing to achieve maximum performance and reliability. Each Phantom Grip unit is assembled with pressure tested matched sets of progressive-rate springs to achieve equal load distribution to the disc plates, which dramatically enhances reliability and performance. With such a passion for perfection, we at Phantom Grip are confident that when you choose a Phantom Grip unit, you are choosing, by far, the best limited slip conversion kit on the market.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Back when I had my MINI Cooper S I looked into the Phantom Grip. Had a chance to drive a car so equipped and it was fairly impressive (I believe that MINI's factory LSD is similar to the Phantom Grip one). It wasn't as smooth or quiet or effective as a Quaife, but it also didn't weigh 17lbs or cost $1500 (plus labor). From what I remember of the research I did at the time, wear is not as much of a factor as it is with a clutch style LSD, but it isn't quite as bulletproof as a Quaife. While some guys autocrossed with it, it wasn't as good for that sort of thing as the more expensive diffs.
Overall, the reviews I read and the testing I and others did led me to believe it was a pretty good LSD but not the best one out there. Since installation cost is the same for all of them, more or less, the general consensus was to get the Quaife if the $1k is not a big deal for you...but the Phantom Grip is fine for most drivers if $1k IS a big deal.
I can say this...when I burn up my clutch and replace it, I'm going to add one of these while the whole thing is apart.
Os.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The main factor here is that, despite the potential effectiveness, the LSD in this application is for performance enhancement and as such the demand in an AT (with its higher drivetrain losses and lower potential for wheelspin) would be pretty low.
Just saw this - yes I can respect that reasoning. It still would be useful in the winter, but I don't think many people (from this site) would buy it for that reason...

Originally Posted by aascsm
Has anyone heard of this company and/or used their LSD conversion kit product? [...]
Wow, I didn't think you could convert them but as long as those parts fit inside the ring gear I guess it's not impossible. From the parts shown it looks like it converts the non locking diff into a clutch-type LSD but ?... this one is the best IMHO (-vs- a viscous type LSD) because it will split torque even in very low traction conditions. A viscous type LSD (IIRC) will work fine for a drag race, but on ice you'll still spin a wheel.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Word of warning. A friend had one of those Phantom Grip things come apart inside the transmission and it ended up shooting pieces of metal through the case. There are two metal blocks with V grooves cut into them. One of the blocks cracked at the apex of the groove and was thrown outward from the centrifugal force. It jammed up the transmission instantly and basically the transmission chewed itself to bits in a very short amount of time.

I have no idea how common this is. My friend beat the hell out of his car and wasn't particularly smart about it. This was a 2000 Civic Si.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After some very quick research, there seem to be numerous accounts of the same sort of thing happening. It seems the most common thing that happens is that the pin fractures and comes out. This might have been what happened in my friends case and the block fracturing was a secondary failure. It's kind of hard tell when you're looking at a 5 pound pile of metal fragments.

For my money, I think I'd avoid it. I'd love to have an LSD though. I get lots of wheel slipping on all the crazy hills and bends around Pittsburgh.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
After some very quick research, there seem to be numerous accounts of the same sort of thing happening. [...] I'd love to have an LSD though. I get lots of wheel slipping on all the crazy hills and bends around Pittsburgh.
That's a shame, I don't want no grenade in my differential!

I don't have any money to mod but I might have been able to scrape together the $350 for that (+install). Oh well, I'd love to have one too, VSA sucks for snow-covered hills...