Took the stock resonator off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Registered AssHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TinkySD
Here is the other question. The cavity where the resonator/open element filter resides is more or less enclosed. Is there a way it is getting cold fresh air or is it sucking in hot engine air? The stock resonator is connected to an intake port near the headlight that you don't get with the resonator removed. Yes there is still a tube from that port to the resonator cavity...but i'm wondering if you would also get soem hot engine air sucked in.
It's not closed. That's what the huge chin vent on the driver's side opens up to.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I feel a little silly for having my bumper off but not looking at that closer. By chin vent do you mean the fog light cover vent? If so isn't there a piece of metal behind it? I could be wrong and it could only be partially obstructed.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Registered AssHat

I feel a little silly for having my bumper off but not looking at that closer. By chin vent do you mean the fog light cover vent? If so isn't there a piece of metal behind it? I could be wrong and it could only be partially obstructed.
Chin vent with Injen CAI installed. (obviously not my car).

Old 10-09-2003, 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously people... click on my sig link. I have pics there with the bumper off and the bottom plate (plastic) under the resonator has vents in them. They are not intended for air to come in, but rather trapped water to get out. You can not reach the resonator well through the grill. The only hole into that cavity is the pipe from the snorkel from behind the light which was orginially feeding the resonator (a VERY SMALL opening to begin with).

Yes, plenty of fresh air gets in there and the pic from Lung Fu Mo Shi... is that a TSX...?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by moda_way

Yes, plenty of fresh air gets in there and the pic from Lung Fu Mo Shi... is that a TSX...?
yes that is a TSX with the injen intake installed
Old 10-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Increase with resonator off???

Some time back, I posted on the "other site" and this one I believe as well, that remvoval of the resonator was actually worse than stock (with a K&N drop in filter installed in the airbox).

During my foglight installation, I too decided to remove the snorkel, resonator and connection tube between the airbox and resonator. The results were alot of intake noise, causing enough noisy frequency in the interior to buzz compoents in the dash making the car sound like it was 10 years old.

As for the performance, I'm not sure what others are experiencing, but I saw a degradation in off the line performance. To me, torque was down considerably off the line and it seemed to me that it took longer to wind the engine to redline. I also did not feel the same "engagement" of VTEC at the higher RPM... The wind to redline seemed to be linear (and slow)...

I can say however that at the higher RPMs (over 6K), it did seem to want to pull a bit stronger and also longer into the rev band. I was able to wind over the 7100 RPM redline (more freely) whereas with the stock setup, the rev limiter seemed to kick in right away.

Again though not enough positiives with the resonator removed hence why its back on. I am still running with the drop in K&N filter and can't really say that it (K&N) was much of an improvement over the stock paper filter either... At least I can clean it though.

I am however interested to know what the CAI or any other fabricated intake kits will do. There is a bit of "science" involved in the formation and flow of the intake tube so its quite possible that these kits do help in "tuning" the airflow to be optimum... I also hope that they can "curb" the frequencies of noise generated as I don't like hearing my dash buzz as I wind up the motor...

Just my two cents worth...
Old 10-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro

my previous experiences on my accord with resonator removed wasn't exciting either. the sound is definite louder... when i press the gas a little, i felt there is something holding my gas peddle that prevent my going further, but tone change to loud, the RPM is not moving, thus car is not accelerating. i need to press the gas peddle harder to get through this "barrier" , after this, the engine will scream, emitting exciting sound, but did not feel it's any faster then before.

i suspect the intake must be tune for a special length to hold certin amount of air inside otherwise it will hurt performance. and not sure the direction of the opening (upward, forward, downward) make any differences... any suggestion ??
Old 10-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Registered AssHat

I agree. The midband feels a little more punchy, but low end seems worse.

Either way, my experiment was not for the power, it was to determine how much louder a CAI would be.

A CAI is not just about air mass, it's also air velocity.