Supercharge or Turbo my 2008 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharge or Turbo my 2008 TSX?

Hi everyone I was trying to figure out whether I want to supercharge or turbocharge my 2008 TSX 6smt. I have been trying to do research but most of the threads are pretty old however I am leaning towards the supercharger because I know of the brand Comptech and most people seem to supercharge these cars instead of turbo. I would like to know what you guys would recommend. I would like more power off the line and I hear the superchargers are also safer? Also if I were to SC, do I have to upgrade anything before or after? All I have right now is an injen intake and Hondata flash pro. Was considering headers, intake manifold and exhaust but I would rather just spend the extra on the SC. I don't know much about cars in general that's why all the help I can get would be appreciated thank you!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I wanted to SC my 06 TSX 5AT; but, the price and I/H/E+labor made it too expensive. Having a 5AT would not have the "bang for the buck" like a 6MT. I figured I would also had to improve the suspension and braking because of the extra power. I would have to take the parts to a shop for the install. I wanted to keep my TSX to the +150,000 miles mark and keeping the powertrain stock would help achieve this. The only thing bad about SC for the TSX is you will have around the same power of any V-6 Accord/Camry/Altima on the road today (depending if you do the I/H/E or not).

I decided to put the $$$ into my 08 RDX tech (Hondata reflash, Eibach springs, ETS intercooler, Hondata heat shield gasket, K/N drop-in filter). I still had $$ left over to upgrade the rims, OEM front lip spoiler, roof rack, clear bra, Conti DWS tires, and all weather mats. The upgrades made the sh-awd RDX into a weaponized version of the TSX with room for 4 and cargo capacity.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
supercharger isnt worth it.

go turbo.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
10th Gear

Hmm and why go turbo instead of supercharger? Any other experts know a lot about this?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM

turbos are generally more efficient than superchargers.

a supercharger uses a belt and piggy backs off the engine. in general, it takes about 40 hp to make an additional 60 hp, because it is belt driven.
the poster above stated with the supercharger, you wont be any faster than today's camry.
with the inefficiency brings HEAT. HEAT is the killer of all things.

with a turbo charger, it uses gas or compressed air to spin the turbine. this air is free. no wasted energy at all.
this means; you can exceed the supercharger in power, easily.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 AM

you do also realize that website like google and how stuff works is amazing at explaining all the in's and out's of superchargers and turbochargers.

p.s. Forced induction isnt really for noobs. you should do the beginning mods first, like headers, etc.

they will also be supporting mods to the supercharger, if you go that route.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:49 AM
10th Gear

@justnspace thank you for the feedback I actually originally wanted to go the turbo route because some of the faster Japanese cars are turbo (sti etc). If I do go this route, should I buy the Full Race T3 ProStreet Turbo Kit for $3295? That's all I can find online. Also do I have to upgrade anything before or after I install this? I feel like a turbo has so much more potential I mean I can probably chip/flash it too right?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM

^hondata is your chip/tune.

you will need to research the k24. it's the engine in your car.
it's very popular, as lots of people like to swap the k24 into other cars, some even like to turbo the K24.

if you read and research the K24+turbo, I bet you could learn a lot of things from other people's experience. because I dont have the answers. I am just telling you things in general and it will be YOUR job to further investigate the K24+ Turbo.

p.s. in general, cars that are not turbo'd from the factory needs certain things and may or may not be as reliable and or need more maintenance. this is why i suggest it not being for noobs, as you'll need to know what EVERY THING DOES.
you cant expect to slap it on and it works right out of the box.
there will be lots of sleepless nights and tinkering around

Last edited by justnspace; 06-11-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

You guys are talking about roots/twin screw type superchargers now. Centrifugal superchargers are totally different. They have the compressor side of a turbo mated to a planetary drive. The powerband will be like a bigger displacement N/A engine.

And you can get anything between 300-600hp from a single centrifugal supercharger mated to k24. Also it heats the compressed air a LOT less than turbo and roots/twin screw chargers.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 187 Posts
There are guys getting close to or over 400 horse easily out of the 2nd gen z3 motors in the new civics with a roots type very reliably.. With the right setup (get an aftercooler) you will still love a roots type and don't have to lose your ac compressor unlike the kraftwerks "shaft driven" supercharger.. And you will still shit on stock or lightly modded v6 accords/g35 or 37's/evos/wrx's/mazdaspeeds/srt4's etc with no problems lol.. Just do more research on what will be the best setup according to your driving habits.. Don't forget turbos lag and superchargers give you almost instant power
The following users liked this post:
Sachin179 (09-05-2019)
Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
For simplicity and reliability, I recommend a supercharger.

There's pros and cons with both

Supercharger:
Very simple bolt on using the CT-Engineering supercharger kit. In order to manage the power, you need an engine management system to tell your ECU to give the car more fuel. Flashpro is what you'll need. It's a very simple plug and play device that you bring to a tuner and he'll tune your car to the needs of the supercharger.

The cons would be that at stock 5 psi, you'll make as much power as most V6 out there. So for about $4000 total, you gain about 50hp. But that's at stock boost pulley. If you opt for an 8lb boost pulley, you can see upwards of 305hp in your TSX with supporting mods. Any higher boost and you would need an aftercooler and much bigger injectors.

Turbo:
The pros would definitely be power. Torque and horsepower will be very satisfiable with a turbo.

The cons? Man, where do I start. For the TSX a GOOD turbo kit will cost you as much, if not more, than a supercharger. See link (http://www.turbokits.com/Acura/TSX/T...urbo_Kit/2104/). For engine management, you'll need something called K-Pro, which is not officially compatible with the TSX. You lose VSA and cruise control with the K-Pro. The reason why you would need K-Pro is because it's able to control boost much better than FlashPro.

Sure, you'll make plenty of power, but you'll lose a lot of it through wheel spin. We are FWD, there's nothing we can do about that. My car at 280hp already spins from a dig. And if you try and push your car close to 500hp, prepare to upgrade rods, pistons, valvetrain, cams, clutch, axles, motor mounts, etc. Source? There's a guy that was the first to push 500hp in his TSX. Let's just say he sold it shortly because of engine problems.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
...there will be lots of sleepless nights and tinkering around
Even though I considered myself to be pretty competent before I tackled the SC install myself, I still ended up like that. Nights where I couldn't sleep because my belt was slipping, car wouldn't start, knock sensor code, EVAP problems, etc etc.

It took a solid month and a half to get everything squared away. So yea, for one month and a half I was constantly thinking about the car and tinkering with it. It was really stressful and I questioned whether or not I regretted the whole thing.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM
4th Gear

OP, I would start doing a lot of research regarding superchargers and turbos.
Honestly you can save a lot of frustration but in return you will spend more money if just have a competent shop do the install.
Most legit professional shops can build you a turbo kit that will outperform any off the shelf bolt-on turbo kit built for the TSX.
You might not want a turbo though...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
In for beating a dead horse.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just go buy a 2002 Camaro Z28 6mt, it'll be faster than a supercharged TSX and it's stock. Plus u can buy the cmaro for cheaper than the S/C or T/C kit lol. ... these cars arent made to SC or TC for huge power, it's honestly kinda a waste of money all together. Not being negative, but if u wanna go fast, get an LS1 car. Use the Acura/Honda for a DD and more of your show car.

Originally Posted by laziokid
Hi everyone I was trying to figure out whether I want to supercharge or turbocharge my 2008 TSX 6smt. I have been trying to do research but most of the threads are pretty old however I am leaning towards the supercharger because I know of the brand Comptech and most people seem to supercharge these cars instead of turbo. I would like to know what you guys would recommend. I would like more power off the line and I hear the superchargers are also safer? Also if I were to SC, do I have to upgrade anything before or after? All I have right now is an injen intake and Hondata flash pro. Was considering headers, intake manifold and exhaust but I would rather just spend the extra on the SC. I don't know much about cars in general that's why all the help I can get would be appreciated thank you!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I wanted to SC my 06 TSX 5AT; but, the price and I/H/E+labor made it too expensive. Having a 5AT would not have the "bang for the buck" like a 6MT. I figured I would also had to improve the suspension and braking because of the extra power. I would have to take the parts to a shop for the install. I wanted to keep my TSX to the +150,000 miles mark and keeping the powertrain stock would help achieve this. The only thing bad about SC for the TSX is you will have around the same power of any V-6 Accord/Camry/Altima on the road today (depending if you do the I/H/E or not).

I decided to put the $$$ into my 08 RDX tech (Hondata reflash, Eibach springs, ETS intercooler, Hondata heat shield gasket, K/N drop-in filter). I still had $$ left over to upgrade the rims, OEM front lip spoiler, roof rack, clear bra, Conti DWS tires, and all weather mats. The upgrades made the sh-awd RDX into a weaponized version of the TSX with room for 4 and cargo capacity.
This is so sad to hear, and I am sure it's true. My MDX can out perform or match my TSX any day. Too bad there are not many mods for the MDX v6
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All i can say the TSX is not a fast or performance car. I have other cars that are cheaper and faster than the TSX. Turbo or supercharger are both not really bang for the buck
Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 PM
me3
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Go turbo all the way.....I have that 704 WHP turbo TSX and it's a blast to drive. I just recently had the transmission built by KMOD....man, it's awesome. Thinking of selling it b/c I hardly driven it. I only put 3k miles in the last 1.5 years. Although I changed the oil 4 times already LOL For sale if anyone is interested....

Name:  Engine%20Compartment%20A_zpsdblprci5.jpg
Views: 17431
Size:  121.5 KB
Old 10-28-2019, 03:27 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by me3
Go turbo all the way.....I have that 704 WHP turbo TSX and it's a blast to drive. I just recently had the transmission built by KMOD....man, it's awesome. Thinking of selling it b/c I hardly driven it. I only put 3k miles in the last 1.5 years. Although I changed the oil 4 times already LOL For sale if anyone is interested....

Attachment 60964
Still have it for sale?