Stock Clutch Pedal Easy Mod for faster shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Clutch Pedal Easy Mod for faster shifting

Okay someone let me know if my info is out of date cuz i havent been around that often. I just wanna share my mod. I will post pictures if this mod is not yet mentioned

Problem: The clutch pedal drive is to deep. When you hit the clutch about lil more than halfway maybe? it's enough to engage. But there's like an inch of slack after it. It annoyed the hell out of me. If you drove a RSX-S before you'll what im talking bout.

Easy Solution: If you noticed when stepping the clutch all the way in, it's resting on a piece of rubber. Behind the rubber you'll feel that there's a pocket maybe an inch wide. I bought this part from autozone: Door Striker Bolt part# 38448 (again, i'll post pictures if you're interested.) Anyway this part has a U-shaped that slides in that pocket perfectly allowing the clutch pedal to go just enough. The rubber piece will even fit into the new part. I did this mod right outside the parking lot of Autozone and went for a drive. It was unbelievable!!!!!!!released a lot of stress from the foot. Engage so much faster. I shift much faster than before too.

There's one catch: I couldnt start the car at first because the clutch was not all the way in therefore the switch didnt get engaged. There are two sensors located on the clutch chassis. The top one is the one you want to adjust. I used a 17 to release the nut and turn the senor clock wise to move it in more. Tighten it....then try for a test drive. You'll thank me if you havent had this mod. YOU CAN EVEN TRY DOING THIS BEFORE ADJUSTING THE START SENSOR. JUST START THE CAR WITHOUT THAT U-SHAPED PART THEN SLIDE IT IN AFTER. Go for a test drive to see if you like it or not. You can return it if you dont like it hehehe. GOTTA TRY THIS! YOU WONT REGRET THIS!

Again i know this thread sucks without pictures. I will post them if people requests. Have fun!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Instructor

i like to see some pictures, maybe i'll go out and try tomorrow morning....
Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder about the long-term efects of doing this. I always understood it was detrimental not to push the clutch all the way in when shifting, unless, ofcourse one shifts clutchless.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:36 AM
08 MDX with Sports

I actually saw a post similar to this on E46 fanatic forum. Some bimmer dude actually did a diy.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Post Pics
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not just adjust the clutch pedal engagement height with the pushrod adjuster? Same effect, and free....and don't see how or why this makes your shifting any "faster", just changes the engagement point in the pedal stroke.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:46 PM
8th Gear

pics
Old 01-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by sauceman
I wonder about the long-term efects of doing this. I always understood it was detrimental not to push the clutch all the way in when shifting, unless, ofcourse one shifts clutchless.
I wonder about that too... but if the clutch already fully dis-engages with the pedal not fully pressed down, then there shouldn't be any damage to be caused, right? The clutch isn't rubbing if it's already fully dis-engaged. ???
Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Why not just adjust the clutch pedal engagement height with the pushrod adjuster? Same effect, and free....and don't see how or why this makes your shifting any "faster", just changes the engagement point in the pedal stroke.
I actually asked the tech guy at the dealer to do that but he said it was best to do something like i did because you can simply go back to the orignal setup just by taking that U-shaped piece out.

As for shifting faster. Well when i shift fast...i like to go all the way in with the clutch just to be sure i dont grind you know. If i go all the way in with stock....an inch extra...that's some time off right there...you know what i mean? But of course if you can shift fast with the stock setup and as long as you're sure where that engagement point is all the time, then you dont need this mod.

Anyway i went on the freeway this morning to test this at high speed. i did feel that the extention was out just a lil too far, so i'm gonna squeeze the u-shaped part together just a tiny hair then it'll be perfect. It released and engaged fine but at high speed i noticed that it wasnt a smooth as before going into 5th gear at around 90mph. It was fine at low speed though.

Overall, i'll never go back to that stock setup. I love this...feels great on your foot. hehe
Old 01-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSX2345
Post Pics
I sure will ... after work hehehe
Old 01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Juice!

nguyenzpry,

You mentioned the need to adjust the clutch switch which is the top sensor located on the clutch chassis. Do you think you can post pictures of how to to get to it and where it is located?

It would be great if you can.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OhNoItsMe
nguyenzpry,

You mentioned the need to adjust the clutch switch which is the top sensor located on the clutch chassis. Do you think you can post pictures of how to to get to it and where it is located?

It would be great if you can.
okay, friday...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Top notch 6MT

Actually just thought of this little question this morning on the way in...

Doesn't the clutch engagement point change as the clutch wears out? If so, won't that eventually screw your mod up if the bite point gets lower than your new "floor point"? Or actually when clutch wears out, does the bite point get higher?!? (I've never had a car long enough to wear the clutch out that much, heehee...)

I know some cars (like the E46 I had) are supposed to have self-adjusting so clutch pedal always bites at the same point... does our TSX have this?
Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Advanced

The tech guy at Acura told me our TSX's clutch is self-adjusted....but you better check it yourself, dont take my words for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Advanced

The previous links were bad. Sorry! here are the pics.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:15 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I did this mod tonight and so far I like it a lot. Took a little getting used to the shorter clutch throw, but I had never liked the longer stock throw. Could never get my seat just right where I could depress the clutch all the way and not be too close to the dash/steering column/shifter. I paid a lot of attention to whether the clutch is fully disengaged, it certainly appears to be.

I think I'l bend the part a little more to get just a little more clutch throw, but this was a great mod for me! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by nguyenzpry
The tech guy at Acura told me our TSX's clutch is self-adjusted....but you better check it yourself, dont take my words for it.
Thanks for the follow-up, though I myself don't feel the need to shorten the clutch pedal travel. My feet and hand move plenty fast even for my spirited driving

Hey, I have another idea to throw out to achieve the same effect... wear a very thick left shoe to work the clutch
Old 01-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

That is the clutch stop that I mention a long while ago.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Doesn't change the engagement point so I can't see how it makes you shift any faster but if you like it
Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
So all this does is shift the stopping point of the clutch, keeping it from reaching the bottom of its intended travel?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
So all this does is shift the stopping point of the clutch, keeping it from reaching the bottom of its intended travel?
Yes.

I never put the clutch to the floor when shifting quickly so this is pointless IMO.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:44 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Yes.

I never put the clutch to the floor when shifting quickly so this is pointless IMO.
For you yes, but for those that prefer to press the clutch down completely, nguyenzpry says there is excess pedal movement at the end, so this mod will elminate the excess movement, while retaining full clutch engagement.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HoRRo
For you yes, but for those that prefer to press the clutch down completely, nguyenzpry says there is excess pedal movement at the end, so this mod will elminate the excess movement, while retaining full clutch engagement.

Why not just start shifting once you reach the engagement point then? No need to mod, just learn to shift quickly.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 PM
iVTEC no koe

Why not just start shifting once you reach the engagement point then? No need to mod, just learn to shift quickly.
Engagement point which allows shifting may not be the same as full clutch engagement. There are some people that shift when the clutch is fully engage, while others, to ensure full engagement, press the clutch pedal all the way down. This cheap and easy mod (which I have not done), allows those that do prefer the "clutch pedal all the way down" method to save on the excess movement of the pedal after the clutch is fully engaged.

Not necessarily about learning to shift quickly, but ensuring proper clutch engagement and longevity.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by HoRRo
Engagement point which allows shifting may not be the same as full clutch engagement. There are some people that shift when the clutch is fully engage, while others, to ensure full engagement, press the clutch pedal all the way down. This cheap and easy mod (which I have not done), allows those that do prefer the "clutch pedal all the way down" method to save on the excess movement of the pedal after the clutch is fully engaged.

Not necessarily about learning to shift quickly, but ensuring proper clutch engagement and longevity.

Typo in the bolded part, "clutch is partially engaged" is what I meant.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Advanced

guys....if you dont like this mod just ignore this thread, but i appreciate all the comments though. The reason why im doing this is cause i have short legs i guess. When i shift really fast i like to slam the clutch all the way in to prevent any grinding. Ok....for you pro's, you dont have to do this cuz you know the engagement point really well. So to clarify things a little, i guess saying that this mod will help you shift faster is kind of misleading, but this mod FOR SURE helped me shift much faster than before. It also releases a whole lot of stress from my foot. After all...it's just inserting that piece in the pocket, not like you gotta take the transmission apart or something so relax. Im telling you, you have to try this to see what i mean. Telling you this doesnt benefit me in anyway. I just wanna share this because i like the mod. The end............
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Instructor

hey i was wondering where i would adjust the pedal ? can you show me a picture?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:23 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

You can shift by learning to push the clutch in only so far, I suppose, but for $9 it's a lot easier (for me) to have a real stopping point. Same as using a pneumatic nailer to build a deck -- not better, necessarily, just easier. I had always disliked the longish clutch throw and couldn't find a really comfortable place for the driver's seat that wasn't too close to the dash but made my leg comfortable. I'm 5'11", but my left knee is bad and gets sore if I repeatedly extend it pushing the clutch all the way to the floor. Great mod for me!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WlcTL
hey i was wondering where i would adjust the pedal ? can you show me a picture?
I'm also curious to see pics of the bolt that must be found to change the point of engagement to start the car with the mod.

Pics anyone?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:57 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Conman
I'm also curious to see pics of the bolt that must be found to change the point of engagement to start the car with the mod.

Pics anyone?
I'll try (I said try) to crawl under there and snap a pic, but it's tight fitting into the driver's footwell with a camera and getting a decent shot. If you get into the driver's footwell, facing up, you'll see a plastic covering you need to remove. I just kind of muscled it around and off it's various attachment points until it came off (figured if it gets a little banged up, who cares?). Once you have that thing off, you'll see the clutch pedal arm extending up. There are two sensors. The one you're looking for is the upper of the two -- the one above the clutch pedal's pivot point. You loosen the lock-nut on that sensor, remove the wiring connector from it (so it can turn without twisting the wires) and just thread it in (forward, clockwise) about 1/2-inch. Then get out and see if it's enough to start the car with the clutch pedal depressed. I had to do that twice before I got it in far enough. Tighten the lock nut back down and, if you want to, replace the plastic cover thingy. (I didn't and can't tell at all from inside the car.)