Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spoon bushes kits install (subframe + steering rack) - with pics

These are the two kits I've bought some time ago:

Spoon subframe rigid collar kit (made for CL9) :

A video description of what it does can be found here:

and

Spoon steering rack bushing kit (made for Euro-R only - found that later ...)

A description found on the internet "Replaces the factory rubber steering rack bushings for a more direct steering feel. Increasing front tire size wears out the factory rubber bushings quickly and increases steering play. Using rigid steering bushings produces a more linear steering response."

Here is where the subframe rigid collar kit bushings are being installed (replacing the OEM rubber ones):

And here is where the bushings for steering rack gos in (replacing the rubber ones) :
There are 4 aluminum bushes (which are being installed in pairs of two - bellow and on top of the steering rack - notice the yellow arrows) and an aluminum collar kit - red arrow)

Now the bushes fitted fine , except for the aluminum collar kit (red arrow) which is bigger than the OEM rubber !
And then I took a more close attention to install instruction and noticed the difference , can anyone spot it ?
Here is the subframe from Euro-R

... the Euro-R has EPS (Electric Power Steering) .... as the CL9 doesn''t as we have hydraulic one

Here are the differences in size between OEM rubber collar for CL9 and the Spoon aluminum collar for Euro-R

This is where it should be installed (pics from Euro-R)

So I've ended up putting the rubber collar back on an leave only the aluminum bushes installed (the one for steering rack).

I've sent an email to Spoon ask them if they are willing to make a new collar for CL9 with my measurements but so far I've got no answer and frankly I'm kind of skeptical they will ...
tough they could make money by selling CL9 kits (as I was the guinea pig for this)

Anyway at the same time the a new clutch was installed and also the 4.7 Final Drive and the Wavetrac LSD .

And after all this a new wheel alignement was performed.

For now the overall feeling of the car is that it rides smoother on the uneven roads and the steering feel got heavier .
I'm still wondering how much difference the aluminum collar will make ... if Spoon won't do nothing I think I might do that collar to a local shop ..

The feeling of LSD and Final Drive is another story
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Interesting you say that the steering feel got "heavier". One of the outstanding features of the first gen TSX (according to consensus anyway) was the wonderful steering feel of that car (and I'd agree). Oh, and I can't speak for over there, but in the US, I believe those thingies you're talking about replacing are referred to as "bushings".
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Instructor

Well I'm sorry for my bad English .
Heavier means sportier more direct feeling.
The stock steering feel is not so great (imho) especially when you're encountering bumps on the road , for a moment you have a very vague feeling.

And the aluminum "collar" I'm talking about is comprised from two parts , when you unite them you obtain that aluminum circle - if you call it bushing that's fine for me

Last edited by dinoc; 11-10-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting mod, I was curious if subframe bushings existed! Well I guess they do.

Was your car not a 4.7 final drive to begin with?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Instructor

the Euro C9L has 4.3 FD but shorter 1st gear 3,53

tough I'm still thinking how it will be with
EP3 type-r gears 1 to 5 , and keep my 6th and put back the 4.3 FD
I think I might achieve the following:
- shorter gears 1 to 5th compared with the current 4.7 FD
- closer ratios 1 to 5
- lower rpm on 6th for cruising

what do you think?

Last edited by dinoc; 11-12-2012 at 09:23 AM.