simple mods for hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple mods for hp

hi, i need advice for some minor mods that can increase some pony's for the high end speed on highway. i want something simple and easy to install. not even exhaust or anything. i m thinking of ignition amp, ignition wire, spark plug, do you think these thing will help?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Luke 1:37

Ummm........no.

If you want mods to help with your top end performance, I think a 4-1 header will do the trick. I've read that the 4-2-1 will help with the low to mid range, but a 4-1 will help with the mid to high range. This mixed with a proper exhaust system mod (CAI/Header/Cat/Exhaust) will do the trick. Anything more, you're talking much more money.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by virtualbong
Ummm........no.

If you want mods to help with your top end performance, I think a 4-1 header will do the trick. I've read that the 4-2-1 will help with the low to mid range, but a 4-1 will help with the mid to high range. This mixed with a proper exhaust system mod (CAI/Header/Cat/Exhaust) will do the trick. Anything more, you're talking much more money.
our car already has a 4-1 header.

Cheapest mod for more power is a CAI.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
our car already has a 4-1 header.

Cheapest mod for more power is a CAI.
Then what would the purpose of getting an aftermarket header be? Is it just to switch to a 4-2-1?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Then what would the purpose of getting an aftermarket header be? Is it just to switch to a 4-2-1?

4-2-1 is less restrictive than a 4-1
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
When's Hondata coming

Anyone?
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iceboy1
hi, i need advice for some minor mods that can increase some pony's for the high end speed on highway. i want something simple and easy to install. not even exhaust or anything. i m thinking of ignition amp, ignition wire, spark plug, do you think these thing will help?
Do you have an AT? Just curious...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer

Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
at this thread
Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by domn
When's Hondata coming

Anyone?
i can't wait for hondata.

i already have my money saved up for that bad boy.

you hear me hondata?

i will buy you!

:troutslap
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dzuy
i can't wait for hondata.

i already have my money saved up for that bad boy.

you hear me hondata?

i will buy you!

I was a no but now I'm thinking its a absolute must. Hopefully it comes out sometime this century.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

angry angry mods.

at least no one said -

the best mod you can do for more power is to get a MT

now that would be funny.

oh, i guess i just said it. oops

Old 02-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jlukja
at this thread
I was wondering if these types of threads would get locked or not. I would think so right? I wish there were articles on this site to help people with questions like why you would do an intake modification, blah blah blah. These types of articles would keep threads like these from be posted.

In the Integra forum that I'm in, there is a resident "Performance" guy who gives out great information. He wrote articles on different stuff and answered anyone's educated questions.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I was a no but now I'm thinking its a absolute must. Hopefully it comes out sometime this century.
it makes a huge difference.

i know a guy that has a 2002 rsx type s - with injen cai and hondata.

ran 14.0 in the 1/4 mile.

crazy huh?

Old 02-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I was wondering if these types of threads would get locked or not. I would think so right? I wish there were articles on this site to help people with questions like why you would do an intake modification, blah blah blah. These types of articles would keep threads like these from be posted.
there are. you just have to search. i have a whole buttload of reviews on my stuff.

:troutslap <- noobs
Old 02-14-2005, 03:04 PM

there are. you just have to search. i have a whole buttload of reviews on my stuff.

Having an articles section is something that would benefit a forum. Making people search for these types of questions is very time consuming since a lot of people ad unnecessary posts in the thread without giving an real information.

And this is not necessary a noobs thing, its more of someone who looks for additions to a forum to make it better. One should never stay stagnant
Old 02-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Except all of those degenerated into random acts of PWing.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Having an articles section is something that would benefit a forum. Making people search for these types of questions is very time consuming since a lot of people ad unnecessary posts in the thread without giving an real information.

And this is not necessary a noobs thing, its more of someone who looks for additions to a forum to make it better. One should never stay stagnant
a lot of topics are covered pretty well in the FAQ forum
Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Advanced

yes, my is 5 spd AT.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Ummm........no.

what's CAI? so you mean ignition wire or amp are useless?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by xizor
a lot of topics are covered pretty well in the FAQ forum
Have you checked out those threads recently? Alot of them are invalid. And one should not be able to post on article threads because that just jumbles things up. If someone has a particular question they can ask the author directly and he can make the change to the article.

Either way, I don't want to keep on going back and forth about this. I just think its much more helpful having an articles section where people can't post on. If someone has an article they'd like to publish, then the mods would review it and make it a non postable thread.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM

what's CAI? so you mean ignition wire or amp are useless?
Cold Air Intake

I'm not too knowledgable on that stuff. Someone else can be more helpful.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Have you checked out those threads recently? Alot of them are invalid. And one should not be able to post on article threads because that just jumbles things up. If someone has a particular question they can ask the author directly and he can make the change to the article.

Either way, I don't want to keep on going back and forth about this. I just think its much more helpful having an articles section where people can't post on. If someone has an article they'd like to publish, then the mods would review it and make it a non postable thread.
Didn't know that there were broken links, if you let the mods know they'll go and fix them. That'll at least help part of the problem.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
Didn't know that there were broken links, if you let the mods know they'll go and fix them. That'll at least help part of the problem.

Please let us know which ones are invalid and we will try to fix the links. I haven't really looked at the FAQ stuff in a while, so letting clutch or me know which links are broken would be most appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm not being a snob. This is the same guy who was complaining about losing to a G35 earlier. If he has an AT (which I see now that he does), I can understand why he's disappointed in his performance against the G35 and wants some HP mods. And I'm not saying that the 6MT would have fared better againt the mighty VQ, but you know...

I'll shut up now. Get the Injen CAI, iceboy.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

i hear the search button is good for a couple ponies
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/search.php?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A very cheap mod would be to just take out your resonator.

Check out this thread:
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...oved+resonator

FYI: You still ain't gonna smoke a G35
Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Advanced

I'm not being a snob. This is the same guy who was complaining about losing to a G35 earlier. If he has an AT (which I see now that he does), I can understand why he's disappointed in his performance against the G35 and wants some HP mods. And I'm not saying that the 6MT would have fared better againt the mighty VQ, but you know...

I'll shut up now. Get the Injen CAI, iceboy.
yeah, man, i m the same guy that lost to the G35, which means everyone here will probably do. i don't expect to beat G35, it's no way in a highway speed. but i just don't really feel the push of this car at all. Injen Cold air intake will do some tricks?but it will definitely make the car very loud at the high speed right?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Forget about ignition stuffs. The TSX has direct ignition system with individual coil pack sitting directly on top of each iridium spark plug without any plug wires. You might be able to gain some performance by changing the vtec crossover point and ignition timing, but there isn't any good ways to do it yet.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
A Commuter

yeah, man, i m the same guy that lost to the G35, which means everyone here will probably do. i don't expect to beat G35, it's no way in a highway speed. but i just don't really feel the push of this car at all. Injen Cold air intake will do some tricks?but it will definitely make the car very loud at the high speed right?

i think u bought a wrong car buddy~
Old 02-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTso
Forget about ignition stuffs. The TSX has direct ignition system with individual coil pack sitting directly on top of each iridium spark plug without any plug wires. You might be able to gain some performance by changing the vtec crossover point and ignition timing, but there isn't any good ways to do it yet.
thanks for the info! it means it's better just to leave it the way it is.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, the injen will give you 10-12 HP up top based on what people here have dynoed. It seems like a lot, but then the fact is that almost all the restriction is on the intake side (exhaust mods have only shown 1-3 HP gain). So try that if you're looking for some gains. It's a relatively cheap mod, so the bang-for-the-buck is high. It is a lot louder, but the good side is that it's only loud at high RPM or WOT (wide open throttle). So if you drive normally, you won't hear it much. This is nice because you can "turn off" the noise when you don't want it. Unlike an exhaust which is always "on".

So that's my

PS. If you want to beat that G35, you're gonna need some forced induction (turbo/supercharger). Comptech is coming out w/ a SC kit sometime soon. Do a search for the info thread.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nahooneyya
i think u bought a wrong car buddy~

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Yeah, the injen will give you 10-12 HP up top based on what people here have dynoed. It seems like a lot, but then the fact is that almost all the restriction is on the intake side (exhaust mods have only shown 1-3 HP gain). So try that if you're looking for some gains. It's a relatively cheap mod, so the bang-for-the-buck is high. It is a lot louder, but the good side is that it's only loud at high RPM or WOT (wide open throttle). So if you drive normally, you won't hear it much. This is nice because you can "turn off" the noise when you don't want it. Unlike an exhaust which is always "on".

So that's my

PS. If you want to beat that G35, you're gonna need some forced induction (turbo/supercharger). Comptech is coming out w/ a SC kit sometime soon. Do a search for the info thread.
thanks, Ijen CAI is the best intake among all other brands? like Greddy, K&N..etc? how much approx.? so if i just change the intake without anyother mods, i will feel some result right?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks, Ijen CAI is the best intake among all other brands? like Greddy, K&N..etc? how much approx.? so if i just change the intake without anyother mods, i will feel some result right?
K&N should give you the same gains. I don't know about the Greddy. Personally, I think the Injen looks better than the K&N, but that really doesn't matter.

You will feel the results (lose torque at 2500 RPM, gain at 5000+ RPM). And you'll really hear the results.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Drifting

JTSO's K & N Intake review:
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...ht=cold+intake
Clutch's Injen intake thread:
AEM short-ram thread:

You can find info that you need on other bolt-on modifications by searching under header and exhaust, and then possible forced induction options...you all know the drill.

Oh snap, what's this? It's a thread where we've compiled as many dyno results as we can find, some with baseline dynos for comparison:
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...highlight=dyno

Also, regarding articles vs. threads: As you can see from the above threads, this place is community driven, you supply the content, point users to existing threads, help them with searches. Some of the best content we've had on this site is the result of multiple opinions/posts (RMatic's Intake install, for example).

By the way, the custom 4-2-1 header is working out very well (sorry, no dyno yet! )
Old 02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by ricecake
By the way, the custom 4-2-1 header is working out very well (sorry, no dyno yet! )
come to the k-series dyno day in dulles, should be just a hop away from you and $50 ain't bad.