Short Shifter Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Shifter Input

I just installed the Comptech Short Shifter last night. Took me just under an hour and wa spretty straight forward. Comptech instructions were good enough to get the job done with no incidents.

I got to drive the TSX to work to this morning and I find the short shifter to be very notchy. It is a little shorter than I would like but more so way too notchy. Is there a fix for this at all or is this a normal feel I need to decide live with or remove?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
IF you shift smoothly before the short shifter was installed, there should be no reason to be really notchy afterwards.

I really love the feel of my short shifter, and within 1 week I was more than accustomed to the slightly different feeling. I never found it "notchy", although did find that any slight-misshift would be more pronounced... all that goes away w/in a week though.

~Eric
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Why would before the install affect the feel after the install?

To clarify, by notchy I mean I can feel 2 distinct indexes between shifts. I feel the shifter leave the gear and go into neutral and then from neutral into the next gear. Stock is slid through the neutral area with no pronounced feel.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Professional Newbie

Mine works fine, however I do heard this awful crunch sound when I go from 1-2 gear every once in a while. That definitely never happened before....is it possible something needs calibration?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Instructor

There is no way to Calibrate anything. I only asked if everyone else's is notchy in case i hve an isolated incident and need to check the installation.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Matell

Yes it can feel notchy at times. Stick with it a little while and you'll adapt and begin to love it. Before to long you may find like myself and many others that even with the sort shift it fells like it could be shotter again...just like the Comptech Sway could do with being stiffer!.

It all fells different at first, just have to give it time and let your muscle memory adapt.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Faster, please.

You'll get used to it. Then you'll love it.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by Asahi
There is no way to Calibrate anything. I only asked if everyone else's is notchy in case i hve an isolated incident and need to check the installation.
Wait so does this mean I have a broken 2nd gear? uh oh
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM
CG is the place to be...

Wish i could give input, but mine was installed at the dealer before i took delivery of the car, so i don't really know how it felt before it was installed. I can't say that mine really feels notchy, but then again i have been on the road for two weeks and haven't driving my car getting home tonight though, so i will be able to jump back in and
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
send me a link to JDM??

yeah... it's a little more notchy then before. But you'll get used to it. I love it... makes a huge change.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Asahi
To clarify, by notchy I mean I can feel 2 distinct indexes between shifts. I feel the shifter leave the gear and go into neutral and then from neutral into the next gear. Stock is slid through the neutral area with no pronounced feel.
Yup, mine feels that way too. You'll get used to it and then you'll love it.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Mine works fine, however I do heard this awful crunch sound when I go from 1-2 gear every once in a while. That definitely never happened before....is it possible something needs calibration?
Probably this:

Since the short shifter gets you from 1 to 2 quicker (less throw = slightly less time to complete the shift), your timing w/ the clutch pedal is a bit off. You're probably not getting the pedal ALL the way down before getting into 2nd. This happened to me a few times after getting the SS, but since then, my muscle memory has adapted and my timing is now bang-on.

Like we said: Give it a week and see how it feels. I'm confident you'll love it and not even remember you had this post.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:10 AM
CG is the place to be...

Originally Posted by knthornt
Wish i could give input, but mine was installed at the dealer before i took delivery of the car, so i don't really know how it felt before it was installed. I can't say that mine really feels notchy, but then again i have been on the road for two weeks and haven't driving my car getting home tonight though, so i will be able to jump back in and

Ok, I can give input now. Got home last night and drove to boston to pick up my girlfriend at the bus station... In rush hour traffic, i was able to do a lot of shifting and I now understand what you mean by notchy, however since I have had this since I took delivery of the car, I never noticed. doesn't really matter because I absolutely LOVE the way this car shifts.