Short Ram VS CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Pearl White In E-Town

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Ram VS CAI

Can someone help me. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a short ram or a CAI. Which has the better performance gains, easier installation etc... Also if I go with a CAI, Injen or K&N or Icebox??

Thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nd4Spd
Can someone help me. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a short ram or a CAI. Which has the better performance gains, easier installation etc... Also if I go with a CAI, Injen or K&N or Icebox??

Thanks
CAI = better performance gains.
SRI = (slightly) easier to install

Icebox = smaller gains than SRI, but REALLY easy install and cheaper (I think...). Also, Icebox is not a CAI in the traditional sense since it still has a "box".

Get an Injen or K&N. Lots of us (me) have Injen and are very happy with it.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:49 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks
I would do a search as this topic has been covered in several threads. The best performance gains, as proven by dynos, come from CAI setups (K&N or Injen). I chose the route of the Comptech Icebox and am pleased with the gains I have received. You will see the Comptech dyno on my Icebox thread.

As far as installation, all setups will require you to remove the stock resonator. I guess for the Short Ram, you don't necessarily have to but it is added weight for parts that are not used anymore. If you have the right tools, the install shouldn't take more than 1 - 2 hours. The K&N install guide is probably the easiest to follow and the removal of the front left tire is probably the best way to go.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Pearl White In E-Town

How real is the threat of hydrolocking with a CAI. (It's snowy here for at least 5 months) I am correct that you don't have to worry about that with an icebox?
Old 10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Injen can be run in CAI or SR mode so thats your best bet. Not sure about the K&N. I'm running in CAI right now but plan to change to SR for the winter when I put on the snow tires. The install/changeover is not all that difficult.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

How real is the threat of hydrolocking with a CAI. (It's snowy here for at least 5 months) I am correct that you don't have to worry about that with an icebox?
The threat is "real", but you have to submerge the entire filter to do it. And that involves driving through about 1.5 feet of water. I don't know why you'd want to do that with any car, CAI or not.

I don't really see how snow could hydrolock you considering the structure of splashguarding we have around that area. I'm pretty sure it's difficult to get snow ON the filter, period.

Edit: One thing is for sure, though: Hydrolock = death to an engine this size (or larger). So I won't fault you for erring on the side of caution.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Faster, please.

I was also concerned about the adverse effects of a CAI including hydro-locking (see thread "long term effects/risks of CAI). I went ahead and had the injen installed a couple weeks ago and love it.

In terms of hydro-lock the mechanic who installed mine (an actual race team mechanic) said you would need to either submerge the filter or throw several gallons of water onto it in order to do so. Furthermore, since the engine is essentially a vacuum in regards to sucking air through said filter if you are unsure of the amount of water you're about to drive through take your foot off the gas to close the throttle and essentially turn off the vacuum effect. Basically just don't drive through a foot of water.

As far as snow I also don't see how that could adversely affect the intake. There doesn't seem to be any possible physical way for snow to be sucked through the filter. I do wonder about the effects of salt water hitting the filter (i.e. after the snow has melted and mixed with the road salt). I wonder if that might shorten the life of the filter or require cleaning. In any case I'll probably put the K&N Drycharger over the filter for the winter months just to be safe.

Sorry I write such long posts.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:01 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The risk is much less. This is what the intake tube looks like on the Ice Box. This is looking through the left fog light hole with the cover removed.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Faster, please.

BTW, today it rained pretty heavily here all day. I drove through at least one large puddle and no problems. Like I and many others have said if you don't drive through a flood you should be cool.

And the thing sounds BADASS!!!