RTR Contacted: Need Help on Designing a Flat Undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
RTR Contacted: Need Help on Designing a Flat Undercarriage

This is my summer project. I will design a flat undercarriage for the TSX with one of my best buddies. We will also do the same for his Civic. We are very hopeful this would greatly enhance the car's aerodynamic performance and give a positive push in improving the fuel economy on this car.

I figure RTR already have a pretty efficient setup on their cars, so I'm hoping they would take the time for sharing some information with me, whatever they can.

I've got my both hands.

Letter:

Originally Posted by me
Hi folks at RTR.

I am a faithful fan of yours, and owner of a TSX ever since it's been on the market here. I have the privilege of meeting up with you boys during the Mosport races, which I enjoy thoroughly.

I use my TSX quite extensively for professionnal purposes. I travel around much of Eastern North America to the extent that I have accumulated 150,000 miles on my 04 TSX. I believe this puts my TSX among the ones with the most mileage in NA.

In the pursuit of better fuel economy on my absolutely stock TSX, I am now planning on fabricating a flat undercarriage for my TSX. I am not a qualified expert in aerodynamics, but I have some notions and ideas as to what I would need to do to improve the undercarrage aerodynamics. I'm persuaded your TSX has been treated to a particular attention as far as undercarriage aerodynamics go, and probably your expertise could be of great help for me.

A few details that worry me is the efficiency of cooling the engine bay as well as the catalytic converter. I am also not exactly sure how I would go about chanelling the air around the wheels, suspension parts, and especially how to design the rear section, ie: should I build a diffuser, or something simple would be as efficient? Would a front splitter also be needed?

Here's where I would ask for your help if it is within your possibilities: How is the undercarriage set up for the RTR TSX? If you could provide me with some information, data or pictures, even plans (I'm afraid to ask) if that is possible. That would immensely help me with my project I'm sure.

As I anticipate your positive response, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and adress you my sincerest salutations.

Jeff Perron
Old 06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a cool project! There's definitely a lot to consider when designing it, but I'm sure you could do it.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Damn that was a quick reply.

With some help we sure could. If not, we'll do a lot of trial and error, probably with corroplast prototypes, but I'm sure we could do something useful.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember one of the members on this forum works at a Acura dealer and made a video about the TSX. I distinctly remember him saying the drag coefficient of the TSX is less than the NSX making it more aerodynamic... though my memory might be playing tricks on me... I guess your mod will just aid in this.

Doesn't Mugen make a rear end flat undercarriage? Would yours sort of do the same but cover the entire bottom of the car?

Sounds like a pretty nice mod to do, good luck!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
I remember one of the members on this forum works at a Acura dealer and made a video about the TSX. I distinctly remember him saying the drag coefficient of the TSX is less than the NSX making it more aerodynamic... though my memory might be playing tricks on me... I guess your mod will just aid in this.

Doesn't Mugen make a rear end flat undercarriage? Would yours sort of do the same but cover the entire bottom of the car?

Sounds like a pretty nice mod to do, good luck!
Yes, I want it to cover the entire undercarriage. And it won't be done in carbon fiber. Hopefully in aluminum.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm also interested in cooling the engine bay. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.. I was thinking about this the other day. You probably need to have vents underneath the engine compartment area. Looking at the bottom of my Lotus Elise, it's just flat panels in the front, and the rear has vents under the engine compartment, and a rear diffuser. I'm curious about this also. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 AM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's one that was done for an Integra if you need more ideas
There's a lot of good discussion about aerodynamics through out the thread also.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Interesting info.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by tony4311
Here's one that was done for an Integra if you need more ideas
There's a lot of good discussion about aerodynamics through out the thread also.
Great read. I got a few good ideas from that thread.

I would however be looking at a setup that would definitely smooth out the airflow, but I'm not necessarily looking for downforce. At any rate, at stock height, any effort I would deploy to increase downforce would be like chopping water with a sword.

But I do realise I might have significant aire channelling to do for sure.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
Great read. I got a few good ideas from that thread.

I would however be looking at a setup that would definitely smooth out the airflow, but I'm not necessarily looking for downforce. At any rate, at stock height, any effort I would deploy to increase downforce would be like chopping water with a sword.

But I do realise I might have significant aire channelling to do for sure.
I think the biggest issue would be heat coming through the interior. Getting good airflow and channeling of the heat away from the exhaust as well as in the engine bay would be a PITA IMO.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by moda_way
I think the biggest issue would be heat coming through the interior. Getting good airflow and channeling of the heat away from the exhaust as well as in the engine bay would be a PITA IMO.

I can always use foil tape over the firewall and structural parts around the header/cat combo to prevent heat conductivity through to the cabin compartment.

Kind of like they did with the Saleen S7R race car.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman

I can always use foil tape over the firewall and structural parts around the header/cat combo to prevent heat conductivity through to the cabin compartment.

Kind of like they did with the Saleen S7R race car.

I've often thought about wrapping my header, but then I thought, "Why mess with the beautiful stainless steel?"

I'm glad that Saleen is back racing again.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm assuming your under carriage will have easy access panel for oil change and such? The pics in the link above show they are all bolted up.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by JTso
I'm assuming your under carriage will have easy access panel for oil change and such? The pics in the link above show they are all bolted up.
Yes. I'll actually try and have a quick clip-on section for an easy acces to under the engine bay. If that's not feasible, it'll be bolted: no more than 4 to 6 bolts though.

moda_way, I wouldn't wrap the header if I were you. That could actually cause your cat to rise in temperature beyond it's operating range and you could damage it.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about wrapping my header too. But after more research, it seems that this application are better for Turbo cars.