really how fast is it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i still think 6.6 is the best time a tsx can run just because ive heard it from 7 people 3 owners 1 salesman and acura themselves and 3 people in this forum...

im mad confused
Old 01-01-2004, 12:58 PM
More On

Hey, Raving.... even I never said 6.6 (except when I was kidding, and even then I didn't say 6.6, I said 6.0 ). I don't know for sure it's impossible, but I'm pretty sure nobody's ever said they got a time like that. Maybe some people said they heard it somewhere, but if you can find anyplace here that anybody said they got 6.6, please give us a link or tell us where it is.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:25 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by larchmont

Also: Does climate/temperature affect a car's performance? Like, does a car do better when it's warmer? NY isn't exactly tropical but it's warmer than Toronto. Also, although Dom and I both got our cars around the same time (April), I did my runs right after break-in, which was in the late spring and early summer, when it was hot. I get the feeling Dom might not have given it a whirl until later on -- so putting it all together, his tries were in MUCH colder weather than mine. Is this a factor?

Heat will actually make things worse, not better. Cold air is more dense, and your engine will produce more power when sucking in colder air. Hence why people install cold air intakes.

.. and the weather in NY and Souther Ontario is pretty much identical.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:30 PM
More On

Originally posted by ravingstylez
i still think 6.6 is the best time a tsx can run just because ive heard it from 7 people 3 owners 1 salesman and acura themselves and 3 people in this forum....
OK, since I'm just sitting here not watching the Rose Bowl.....

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...9773#post79773

....which of course is the REAL championship game ......

I figured I'd do a search to see if anybody on here ever said they got 6.6. It wasn't hard to do the search, and..... Nobody ever said it. The only references to 6.6 are where we were discussing Forbes tossing out that number as a God-knows-what-it-meant estimate.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:08 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ravingstylez
i still think 6.6 is the best time a tsx can run just because ive heard it from 7 people 3 owners 1 salesman and acura themselves and 3 people in this forum...
Acura never said 6.6. Your salesperson did, and was lying. There have been MANY mags that have tested the TSX and the 3 best times were between 7.2 and 7.9. The rest have been over 8. The only time a 6.6 has been published was as an "Estimate", probably before they even got the car.

Do you really think the 200 hp, $3230 lb TSX is faster that the 200 hp RSX which is 500 lbs lighter?

im mad confused
Old 01-01-2004, 11:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Larch, I would put money on the TSX not breaking 8 sec. Not a whole lot of money but definently $50.00 or so.

I did my testing sometime in May or June if I remember correctly.

And like jlukja said, the 5AT has plenty of power for me. I have no trouble merging or passing and how often do you find yourself flooring it from a stop? The car has some serious kick IMO once moving and that what really matters to me. And I may from time to time complain about the TSX's power but I can't remember ever complaining about it when actually driving the car.

I'll try and do some more testing now that we have some real cold weather and no snow. Wait, I have snows on, then again maybe the ligter wheel/tire combo will help.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:26 PM
More On

OK Dom, that equals a nice dinner. You're on!

(OK, how exactly do we do this.....)
Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

OK I'm back, 8.9 sec. Larch will you be sending that $50 by money order or Western Union. I don't do paypal

Next time we have a Toronto TSX meet, I'll test it so we have witnesses. You can do the same.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:50 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
Heat will actually make things worse, not better. Cold air is more dense, and your engine will produce more power when sucking in colder air. Hence why people install cold air intakes.

.. and the weather in NY and Southern Ontario is pretty much identical.
Hmmm. I know FDL is usually right about these things, but, the reason I wondered is that cars definitely feel more sluggish to me in the cold.

About the relative temperatures of New York and Toronto.... what the hay, I figured I'd check it out, and, whaddaya know, score one for the old guy.

Here are the mean temperatures, month by month -- first NY, then Toronto (degrees Celsius):

Jan: 0.7, minus 4.9
Feb: 0.8, minus 5.0
Mar: 4.7, minus 0.7
Apr: 10.8, 5.9
May: 16.9, 12.2
Jun: 21.9, 17.8
Jul: 24.9, 20.8
Aug: 23.9, 19.9
Sep: 20.3, 15.8
Oct: 14.6, 9.3
Nov: 8.3, 3.2
Dec: 2.2, minus 2.5

Overall average: NY 12.5, Toronto 7.6

New York's temperature on the average is about 5 degrees Celsius more than Toronto. In Fahrenheit, that's 9 degrees.

That's a lot.

FWIW, chances are the temperature was significantly warmer when I did my runs than when Dom did his.
But assuming FDL is right, this would have helped Dom, not me.
I still wonder, though.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Larch I think you got Jan and Feb backwards.

I have to agree with fdl here though. Cold wheather will definently help your engine get more power. Think Nascar and racing in General. Its all about engine cooling. Think CAI, NOS, FI. Its all about more air, and the colder the better. But there's something to be said for too cold as then you'd have trouble getting grip on cold tires.

Cars IMO anyway generally feel sluggish on a smoggy summer day but feel much more peepy on a cool summer night.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:09 AM
More On

Originally posted by domn
Larch I think you got Jan and Feb backwards....
Nope!

But that doesn't mean I don't have other things backwards.....

About the temperature thing: Gonna do a poll.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:16 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Fire likes air right? Blow into a fire and it grows. Same goes for combustion in an engine. THe more air you can get into it the more HP you will have. Thats how turbos, nitros, superschargers work. The more air the better, and since cold air is more dense the engine gets more air and will have more HP.

Just to clarify the climate thing i agree 5 C is alot ...but , i said NY and souther ontario are pretty much the same...where NY = NY state. So that includes colder NY places like buffalo, and warmer ontario places like windsor. I also consider within a couple degrees C "pretty much the same".

(I might still be wrong about the climate thing but I wanted to clarify)
Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

So your saying its colder in NY in Jan and Feb than it is in Toronto? and Dec too. So basically NY winters are harsher than Toronto winters?

And a poll for what?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:37 AM
More On

So your saying its colder in NY in Jan and Feb than it is in Toronto? and Dec too. So basically NY winters are harsher than Toronto winters?

And a poll for what?
No no, Dom -- take another look. Those numbers for Toronto are "minus."

About the poll -- check it out!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Instructor

I have to agree with fdl here though. Cold wheather will definently help your engine get more power. Think Nascar and racing in General. Its all about engine cooling. Think CAI, NOS, FI. Its all about more air, and the colder the better. But there's something to be said for too cold as then you'd have trouble getting grip on cold tires.
don't forget cold pavement. you can always warm up your tires, but its hard to warm the pavement unless you got a big mf hair dryer.

as for the colder air, more hp thing. more specifically, its the amt of oxygen available. fires need oxygen to burn. colder air is denser, more o2. nitrous is NO2, 2 parts oxygen to one part nitrogen.

as for 6 spd, i clocked mine at about 7 sec flat, 47 deg, mild dec day in NJ. i am trying to edit the video i took from the driver seat to get a more accurate time. i may even be under 7!!!

to add excitement, i had pretty shitty launches, 2 times i forgot i left vsa on, 3rd time, i had too much wheelspin.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
More On

Originally posted by KJLite
don't forget cold pavement. you can always warm up your tires, but its hard to warm the pavement unless you got a big mf hair dryer.

as for the colder air, more hp thing. more specifically, its the amt of oxygen available. fires need oxygen to burn. colder air is denser, more o2. nitrous is NO2, 2 parts oxygen to one part nitrogen.

as for 6 spd, i clocked mine at about 7 sec flat, 47 deg, mild dec day in NJ. i am trying to edit the video i took from the driver seat to get a more accurate time. i may even be under 7!!!

to add excitement, i had pretty shitty launches, 2 times i forgot i left vsa on, 3rd time, i had too much wheelspin.
Hey, y'all, see this?

If we believe him, this is a new record.

Hey KJ -- Are you sure it was on completely level ground? Not that I'm really doubting you, but.... That is better than anything we've seen, and un-level ground is one of the main things to wonder about.

About the cold ground: Yeah -- I think our experts are still not paying enough attention to things that might make the car do a better run in warmer temp.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

If you did get 7 flat, how did you time yourself? Was it at a track or just by the tick of your watch. 1/2 second is quite fast and I highly doubt that car magazine drivers weren't able to pull this off if you were.

And another thing. Have you done any mods to your car, cold air, exhaust, headers?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:14 AM
www.boyzaudio.com

i dont think 7flat is totally impossible depending on what's used to mearsure it.. back in Jul or Aug, I clocked mine using G-timer II at 7.56sec(best time). But to do that i had to shift into 3rd gear.

With the lower temperature and the cold air intake, i might not need to shift into 3rd gear to complete the run. In that case, i think a 7flat or sub 7 run might not be totally impossible.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Aric
i dont think 7flat is totally impossible depending on what's used to mearsure it.. back in Jul or Aug, I clocked mine using G-timer II at 7.56sec(best time). But to do that i had to shift into 3rd gear.

With the lower temperature and the cold air intake, i might not need to shift into 3rd gear to complete the run. In that case, i think a 7flat or sub 7 run might not be totally impossible.
i am running a 6 speed, and by the speedo, assuming its accurate, i can hit 60 at about redline in 2nd gear, so only one shift needed from 1-2. If speedo is accurate, i think i am around the 7 sec mark. i am running completely stock. so the speedo should be the same calibration as from factory.

i timed my self by using my didgital camera, to shoot a short mpeg of the dash while doing straightline acceleration. i am then eyeballing the time on the mpeg from when the car launches to the time the speedo reads 60. i am in the process of finding a program where i can edit the mpeg frame by frame and get a more accurate time, down to the 10th or 100th of a second if possible.

the other issue is my car has almost 17K miles on it. it is fully broken in. i can feel a difference in the power between now, and when i only had 5K miles on it.

the car has shit load of power. dumping the clutch at 3K rpm with vsa off, leads to smoking right through 1st gear. i think with a CAI, lightweight rims, sticky summer tires, deflated to maybe 20-25 lbs and the right road surface, the car should be able to hit 6, or maybe even sub 6. Big IF, Here. Come spring time, i plan on putting on some lightweight rims with either yokohama or kumho summer tires. i'm also gonna get the comptech rear sway bar, and K&N CAI or AEM if one is out by then. I'm gonna bring the car to the track when they open in the spring for more official times. Till then, i'll keep playing with my ghettto dragstrip. i'll try to post the video tonight as i am finally off for the 1st time in a week.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Aric

how do you like the g-timer? i have been thinking of buying one. i've read that they are very precise, but not too accurate. i also heard that you can adjust for vehicle Cd, weight, wheel diameter, etc. have you done this already? this shold help with accuracy.

where di you get it, and how much did you pay?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:15 AM
www.boyzaudio.com

didnt bought it. borrowed it from a friend. personally i wouldnt want to buy it because i dont care that much about those numbers. and to use it, i do stupid things such as driving like an idiot at the wrong places...etc.

i dont know how precise they are, but it's pretty consistent. my friend's WRX with CAI ran 0~60 in low6s, i dunno what's the magazine number. There are all sorts parameters you can enter for calculating your hp...etc. didnt bother to read the instructions. but if you just want to use the basic features, it's pretty easy. park the car at a level gnd, calibrate it and it's ready to for use.

btw, the one i used is the newer GTimer2.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Instructor

so my work schedule sucks, 90hrs a week for last week and this week, so i am having trouble finding time to edit video i took. i will try and upload entire video and you can judge for yourself. couple of disclaimers. this particular run was with VSA ON, and i didn't realize i had the resolution set to shitty setting.

enjoy.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Instructor

how do you attach files, and is there a limit on file size?

the unedited video is 2.7 megs. it just took me ayear to upload it on my dial up, and it doesn't seem to have workrd.

was the file too big?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

how do you attach files, and is there a limit on file size?

the unedited video is 2.7 megs. it just took me ayear to upload it on my dial up, and it doesn't seem to have workrd.

was the file too big?
Load it to any server. ISP, School, or whatever. Most services offer some amount of free space. Then just give us the link.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lhasson
That's really starting to get annoying. You are the second person to tell me this. I really appreciate you telling me this, but what y'all seem to miss is that Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW all come with a V6 or an option for one.

Just as Lexus offers the IS with a 3 liter and a GS with a 3 liter. Or BMW offers the 330. It isn't as crazy as you might think.

Its not like Honda doesn't have a proven V6 that they could use.
Go into an Acura showroom and look at a TSX and a TL side-by-side. They are almost the same size. The TL is beefier in order handle the bigger engine, but it is so close to the TSX in size that most of us consider it the V6 version of the TSX.
If this annoys you, then get over it. More weight in the front end would kill the TSX's handling.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Banned

the car has shit load of power. dumping the clutch at 3K rpm with vsa off, leads to smoking right through 1st gear. i think with a CAI, lightweight rims, sticky summer tires, deflated to maybe 20-25 lbs and the right road surface, the car should be able to hit 6, or maybe even sub 6.
I don't think you'll get sub 6, but I totally agree that lightweight rims and sticky summer tires will get you a large improvement in the TSX's 0-60 times.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Iceman
Go into an Acura showroom and look at a TSX and a TL side-by-side. They are almost the same size. The TL is beefier in order handle the bigger engine, but it is so close to the TSX in size that most of us consider it the V6 version of the TSX.
If this annoys you, then get over it. More weight in the front end would kill the TSX's handling.
I'd rather not get over it. I love the car, but one must recognize that the car does lack overwhelming power that is common from all of the tuned Honda's. Again going back to what I was saying before. Look at the IS, it is of the same size if not smaller and having the larger engine size does jeapordize the car's handling.

Just to clear it up, a request for a larger engine size is only a theoretical request, the TSX makes up in its other standard comforts that are just one of many options available on those cars.

My major grief is that I was ripped a new one by an '04 Maxima and of course that is always a little deppressing. Although defeat was immenent, at least a close race would have been more appealing.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

If you bought this car to race anything including Maxima's you made a huge mistake.

I'm sure Honda could squezze a V6 into the TSX. But weight dist is already 60/40. Adding a V6 would probly make it 65/35. The car would have to be RWD so that the driveshaft could be moved to the rear, evening things out.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

You guys have no imagination. I live in America where nothing is good enough, so therefore of course I am not going to be entirely satisfied.

Now that we are on the same page I don't obviously mind that much, because I wouldn't have bought the car and I am sure that aftermarket mods will make up the gap to any possible stock increase in power.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Iceman
I don't think you'll get sub 6, but I totally agree that lightweight rims and sticky summer tires will get you a large improvement in the TSX's 0-60 times.
i agree sub 6 is a bit of a stretch. but my car does feel fast as hell, maybe i got one of those "special" cars

like i said before, the tracks are all closed for the winter, so the only way i can calculate times is by stopwatch, don't have, accelerometer, don't have, or video, have.

the problem is i am broke, and can't afford $50 a month for cable ISP, i use good old-fashioned dial-up. to upload 2.7 megs takes a week and a half.

i am off from work this weekend, so i'll try to get something posted. i am also biulding my own website, so mayeb i can post it there and link it here.