Possible mod for rear fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible mod for rear fog lights?

Hi everyone,

I've always been fascinated with cars that is equipped with rear fog lights, and I've been sad that most of the cars in the US do not have that function because we simply don't really need them.

I recently thought of an idea of doing this mod on the TSX. I'm not really sure on how to do it. Here's what I have in mind...there are two red lights and one white (reverse) light on the back. Both of the red lights turn on when you turn on the headlights. However, when you press the brake, only one of the red light turns on, it is the ones on the outside. The other red light (the one on the trunk) stays at the same intensity when pressing on the brake.

If somehow I can modify just one or both of the inside red lights to the same intensity as when the brakes are pressed and have it stay that way when the lights are turned on, I got myself some rear fog lights!

Hope all of this makes sense and you guys can help me out on this mod.

Thanks a lot! Take care!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you thought about purchasing the rear fog assembly? Just wire it up and call it a day.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...M-pr-4988.html
Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Have you thought about purchasing the rear fog assembly? Just wire it up and call it a day.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...M-pr-4988.html
That does look pretty good and would solve my problem...but I was thinking about something cheaper...like a new bulb or something, and not $125. haha!

Anyone bought that set before? I'd love to see how it works and looks.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 PM
is glad to be back!

here
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39355
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsxdriver
tsxdriver... your my roll model!.. your car is bad @zz!!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Instructor

I am still planning on doing this soon, so I will tell you how if your still interested. The brake lights in your outside will stay on and get bright, so all you need to do is run a wire from the brake light up into the trunk and get the outer tail light harnesses from the dealer right/left and if needed slightly modify the terminals so it will still go into the slot then use the power wire you ran into the trunk from the outer tail and use that as the brake light on the new harness. old wire and negative wire still stay the same. I have not done this yet, but when i do i will post a how to. I just need to find the harnesses for cheap.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
is glad to be back!

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
tsxdriver... your my roll model!.. your car is bad @zz!!
lol thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by WICKEDFX
I am still planning on doing this soon, so I will tell you how if your still interested. The brake lights in your outside will stay on and get bright, so all you need to do is run a wire from the brake light up into the trunk and get the outer tail light harnesses from the dealer right/left and if needed slightly modify the terminals so it will still go into the slot then use the power wire you ran into the trunk from the outer tail and use that as the brake light on the new harness. old wire and negative wire still stay the same. I have not done this yet, but when i do i will post a how to. I just need to find the harnesses for cheap.
It's not that easy. I've looked into this before because I wanted rear foglights on both sides intead of the one-sided JDM style. The tail lights at the trunk lid use 168 style bulbs (smaller single filament type, same as the license plate lights). The outer tail/brake lights use 7443 style bulbs (larger dual filament type). The sockets are obviously different in size. I haven't done this, but I've thought of 2 ways of doing it, but both will require the modification to the trunk tail light housing to fit the larger sockets in.

1. Trunk tail lights will emit brighter light whenever the parking lights are turned on. This will only require the modification to the housing to fit with a larger socket, the same socket in the reverse light (7440 style, larger single filament). You can buy the reverse light sockets from the dealer, but I don't think the connector will plug right into the harness for the trunk tail lights. So you'll probably have to do some cutting and splicing of wires.

2. Trunk tail lights will emit brighter light with a separate switch (like the foglight switch from Heeltoe). This will require the modification to the housing, and you will have to run a wire all the way from the trunk up to the dash. In this case, you will need a socket that can take larger dual filament bulbs (like the outer tail/brake lights). IIRC, the connectors are different from the trunk tail lights, so there is also some cutting and splicing of wires. The ground wire connects to ground (like factory), the wire for the lower intensity light will connect to parking light (like factory), the wire for the higher intensity light will connect to the separate switch from the dash. This will allow you to turn on the brighter lights at will, kind of like rear foglights.

I wanted to do this mod not becasue it is cool, but it is to piss off the tailgaters and those clueless drivers behind me who have their hi-beams on. It doesn't work all the time, but it has worked before. When I drive the Audi, I've flipped the rear foglights on because of some tailgaters, and I've seen some fall back a few car lengths immediately.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Regardless of how "cool" they might look, about the only thing rear fogs are good for in this country is to annoy (and probably confuse) the guy behind you.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vwong
It's not that easy. I've looked into this before because I wanted rear foglights on both sides intead of the one-sided JDM style. The tail lights at the trunk lid use 168 style bulbs (smaller single filament type, same as the license plate lights). The outer tail/brake lights use 7443 style bulbs (larger dual filament type). The sockets are obviously different in size. I haven't done this, but I've thought of 2 ways of doing it, but both will require the modification to the trunk tail light housing to fit the larger sockets in.

1. Trunk tail lights will emit brighter light whenever the parking lights are turned on. This will only require the modification to the housing to fit with a larger socket, the same socket in the reverse light (7440 style, larger single filament). You can buy the reverse light sockets from the dealer, but I don't think the connector will plug right into the harness for the trunk tail lights. So you'll probably have to do some cutting and splicing of wires.

2. Trunk tail lights will emit brighter light with a separate switch (like the foglight switch from Heeltoe). This will require the modification to the housing, and you will have to run a wire all the way from the trunk up to the dash. In this case, you will need a socket that can take larger dual filament bulbs (like the outer tail/brake lights). IIRC, the connectors are different from the trunk tail lights, so there is also some cutting and splicing of wires. The ground wire connects to ground (like factory), the wire for the lower intensity light will connect to parking light (like factory), the wire for the higher intensity light will connect to the separate switch from the dash. This will allow you to turn on the brighter lights at will, kind of like rear foglights.

I wanted to do this mod not becasue it is cool, but it is to piss off the tailgaters and those clueless drivers behind me who have their hi-beams on. It doesn't work all the time, but it has worked before. When I drive the Audi, I've flipped the rear foglights on because of some tailgaters, and I've seen some fall back a few car lengths immediately.
Man...both of these sounds like a lot of work! The first solution sounds like the easier one and more practical in some ways, but difficult still. I wonder how difficult is it to install the Heeltoe kit, especially the switch part.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two thoughts on this discussion: First, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have a rear fog light on both sides. The reason? They look too much like brake lights. Second, if you don't wire up a switch you'll just permanently be that stupid fuck in the European car that doesn't know what the hell the that switch does so they just leave it on all the time throwing a ton of glare in face of the car behind you.

Admittedly, it'd be cool to have a way to flash the brake lights without braking. I had some guy following me less than 6 inches the other night. I had been going about 10 over the speed limit too. It took a lot longer to get home once I slowed down to 10 mph. The stupid asshole later passed me on a double yellow and ran a car coming the opposite direction off the road. I gave a friendly heads up to the local authorities when I got home, including his plate number. Dumb ass.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
is glad to be back!

well then it's a good thing that my switch is fully functional!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Instructor

This seems pretty cool. I'm guessing there's no setup for 07's?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Yeah it peeves me when I'm behind that Audi or Benz owner that doesn't know his rear fog is on. On a clear night!

I agree with VWong that it's just too much work considering the fabrication and such.

Like I said before, just buy the rear fog from HeelToeAuto.com and call it a day. Plus you'll be supporting an authorized vendor.

Originally Posted by tsxdriver
well then it's a good thing that my switch is fully functional!
Same here!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 AM
ridiculously good looking

why not just do this??

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Anti-Tailgating_20Button

ive thought about doing it many times in the past....hmmmm
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Drifting

A friend of mine in high school used to have one of those 3 million candle power spotlights that plugs into the cigarette lighter in his car at all times. When people would get on his ass he'd just hold it facing backwards till they backed off. It was very effective.

Another friend who is in the FBI was telling me how these special cars for transporting important people with all sorts of goodies like bulletproof everything. They have a button on the dash that pops the trunk open a couple inches and there's a row of super bright strobe lights that will blind and disorient the hell out of anyone trying to follow them. That would be freaking awesome.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
First, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have a rear fog light on both sides.
My Audi comes off the dealer's lot with rear foglights on both sides.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Ah well, so much for that idea then I guess. It's great to hear that I'm going to be doubly blinded by yuppy morons now.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Racer

I honestly do not believe that a rear fog is blinding at all. If that is the case, we would all have our sunglasses on when sitting in a stop-and-go traffic on the freeway or anywhere else.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

does the rear foglight just make your car more visible when there is fog out? is this also why I sometimes see audis that look like they are braking but are not?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
does the rear foglight just make your car more visible when there is fog out? is this also why I sometimes see audis that look like they are braking but are not?
Yup. It's the same intensity as the brake lights
Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff The Pianist
I honestly do not believe that a rear fog is blinding at all. If that is the case, we would all have our sunglasses on when sitting in a stop-and-go traffic on the freeway or anywhere else.
Maybe I have more sensitive eyes than average. I do spend about 12 hours a day or more staring at a computer screen. I hate being outside during the day without my sunglasses because I can't open my eyes more than a squint, even on the overcast days.

I don't know but I hate hate hate those stupid fog lights. I've never once seen them used appropriately. I also hate sitting in traffic behind cars with unnecessarily bright brake lights like most the American 'luxury' cars. I was behind some ass ugly Buick CUV shitbox the other night that the whole giant rear of the thing was covered in obnoxiously bright LEDs. After sitting at the light for a few minutes I couldn't see a damn thing once he pulled away because of how light adjusted my eyes had become.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Ok maybe you are trying to do something different than i'm explaining. I am talking abut simply making all 4 tail lights come on when driving and getting brighter when stepping on the brake. And yes i went outside and looked at my car last night when my wife came home and saw that the inside lights are 194 lights. same as license plate ones.

I could have sworn that there is dual filament sockets that are the same size as the 194 bulbs, but i could be wrong.

I know an easy way to make them come on with the tail lights and also flash with the blinkers, would that look weird?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Drifting

So you just want super brake lights then?