Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003 | 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Performance Parts

I am looking for any parts to boost horsepower in my husband's TSX to give for a b-day present. I hate to admit this, but I have no idea what I am looking for or where to find it. Surfing the web has been a total bust. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2003 | 12:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's still kinda early for this, and not a lot of aftermarket companies have products developped for the TSX, since any serious tuner does a lot of R&D before marketting their products.

But, and this is my 2¢, as much as I'd be very pleased and touched ifmy wife offered me this as a gift, I'd much rather having the money given to me for me to be able to shop the product, than having it bought for me, and then finding out it was not really good, or not the orientation I would have wanted to take, example, I'd much rather a lightweight flywheel over a header.

The way I see it, it is almost as if your husband went out and bought you a certain dye for your hair, or any specific product for your hair, so that you could use it. The color just might be a little off for your taste, and though you'd be very touched by his move, you know that if you use that dye, you just won't like it and feel good with that particular coloration, whereas if he just gave you a gift certificate so that you could pay youself something special, you'd probably be a lot happier, because you could have chosen it for yourself.

I mean, It's not like you spend your time explaining him what color # you use to dye, and it's most probably not something he'd be interested to know, at least most of the times.

I guess it's a lot the same for cars...

Edit: Also, aftermarket performance parts may void the warranty of the car. Is he willing to take that risk?
Old 08-30-2003 | 12:26 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Re: Performance Parts

Originally posted by Muffin
I am looking for any parts to boost horsepower in my husband's TSX to give for a b-day present. I hate to admit this, but I have no idea what I am looking for or where to find it. Surfing the web has been a total bust. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
maybe this can help you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2429982488
Old 08-30-2003 | 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Performance Parts

Originally posted by CraZydudE
maybe this can help you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2429982488
No way what he claims is true. I think it's total BS.

The rule of thumb for cool air is 10°C cooler air will give you a 1% increase in performance. The sweetspot is at around 5-10°C (45°F) Cooler, the mixture is harder to ignite, and warmer, it becomes less dense.

But say you get a 30°C air decrease down to the sweetspot, you would get a 6hp increase of power. Still pretty far from the 20hp.

And even then, you are not taking into account that the ECU thinks the air is 30° cooler, but it is really not, so the oxygen part of the mixture hasn't gained any density, so it reduces the amount of hp, close to half of that value, so it'd be down to about 4hp.

It's a waste just like that Vortex or Tornado thingy that's advertised. If there is something that's constant with cars, is there's no easy, cheap way of making power. You get only what you pay for. And even then, you gotta know what you're doing.