Optima Yellow Top 51R - Never more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:18 PM
F.I.L.A.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Optima Yellow Top 51R - Never more?

Don't know if this should be in the TSX Discussion forum or Audio/Video, but I figured a battery is a part so I'll discuss it in here...

Here are my 3 questions:

1) Has anybody had success finding an Optima Yellow Top 51R RECENTLY? Say within the last couple of months?
2) Would an Optima YT 51 fit our car? Perhaps the terminals would just be reversed and you would need a longer wire to reach them?
3) If Optima is unavailable, has anyone had success using an Exide battery for deep cycle applications? Anybody have any problems with an Exide?

Here are the details that lead to my questions:

I've been waiting on an Optima YT 51R to be delivered to my local Sears for over 2 weeks now. It was a special order for me so yesterday I called and asked the manager what was taking so long. All he could tell me is no Sears in the state had any and that he would look into.

So today I spent a few minutes calling various Optima dealers getting nowhere, when one of them told me Optima was purchased by Interstate or vice versa and that for some reason the 51R has been discontinued. Optima won't give me any info on the 51R, they simply say they don't make a battery for the TSX. I called Interstate and they told me they don't have a deep cycle battery made for the TSX.

I found a person on here who is running an Exide battery, which I'm contemplating purchasing - it's $59 as opposed to $150 for the Optima... spec page online for the Exide doesn't list the CCA or MCA, but it does mention that the battery weighs 41 lbs. - about a 16 lb. increase over stock.

I need to upgrade the battery because I'm about to add a 1200w amp to my car this weekend and I know that people have been having problems with the stock battery even with no aftermarket audio upgrades.

I definitely don't want to have to purchase a new alternator because my amp burns it out.

Thanks in advance for the help and responses.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
yup the 51R has been discountinued and that pissed me off when I had to buy a new one.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I came across some info regarding the yellow top 51R has been discontinued due to high failure rate. Optima will refund your money if the battery is within 2 yrs old and you have the receipt. They will replace the battery with a larger one if it's within 2 yrs old but you don't have the receipt. The problem has to do with defective internal connection causing the battery to go dead.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JTso
I came across some info regarding the yellow top 51R has been discontinued due to high failure rate. Optima will refund your money if the battery is within 2 yrs old and you have the receipt. They will replace the battery with a larger one if it's within 2 yrs old but you don't have the receipt. The problem has to do with defective internal connection causing the battery to go dead.
well mine went dead in one year. also what good does a larger one do as its not going to fit in our car.

I also already bought a new one and the terminals are in the front closer to the gril instead of back towards the firewall which kinda sucks.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:44 PM
F.I.L.A.

Okay, well it's good (yet, sad) to get confirmation that the 51R is discontinued. Any idea what this "bigger" battery that they are using to replace the defective batteries? Is it another Optima? Any idea whether or regular 51 (sans the "R") would work, even though the terminals wouldn't be on the same side?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 PM
F.I.L.A.

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
well mine went dead in one year. also what good does a larger one do as its not going to fit in our car.

I also already bought a new one and the terminals are in the front closer to the gril instead of back towards the firewall which kinda sucks.
What battery did you replace it with? How do you like the performance?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mr.actionjackson

What battery did you replace it with? How do you like the performance?
i replaced it with another yellow top. just the regular honda model.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

The group code of 51R fits a 98 Honda Civic. Maybe call and find out what they have available for a 98 Honda Civic
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM
F.I.L.A.

Called Optima again - CSR said they've discontinued making both the 51 and 51R. I asked what the reason was and he said something about a "machine" and that they certainly had and have the demand for the battery. I asked if they have any battery that takes the place of those batteries and he said they don't. CCColt, I'm guessing you must've purchased your replacement Yellow Top before they pulled their inventory.

Also, I called around for an Exide Deep Cell battery and was told that those batteries have been discontinued due to lack of demand...

WTF? Do we not have an option to upgrade our battery?? I'm pretty pissed. It looks like I'll need a capacitor which would be unnecessary if I could just get a frickin Yellow Top and the Yellow Top would be more effective.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:11 PM
B A N N E D

same problem here... went to sears and they said they'll try to order it.. over 1 week with no response..

i had 2 amps installed, audio shop also installed a cap, but i'd still like to upgrade the battery.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 PM
F.I.L.A.

Originally Posted by Sebo1
audio shop also installed a cap, but i'd still like to upgrade the battery.
I've heard from a few reliable sources that Caps aren't very effective at conserving your battery, but I've never used one so I don't speak from personal experience. My sources are car audio gurus though.

I'll inquire in the Audio/Video section as to whether people think Caps do any good... I don't want to rule out a possible solution to quickly
Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 PM

Called Optima again - CSR said they've discontinued making both the 51 and 51R. I asked what the reason was and he said something about a "machine" and that they certainly had and have the demand for the battery. I asked if they have any battery that takes the place of those batteries and he said they don't. CCColt, I'm guessing you must've purchased your replacement Yellow Top before they pulled their inventory.

Also, I called around for an Exide Deep Cell battery and was told that those batteries have been discontinued due to lack of demand...

WTF? Do we not have an option to upgrade our battery?? I'm pretty pissed. It looks like I'll need a capacitor which would be unnecessary if I could just get a frickin Yellow Top and the Yellow Top would be more effective.
I actually just got my replacement two weeks ago. However that doesnt mean that the distibutor my buddies shop gets it from didn't just have it in stock. I am going to be pretty pissed if they stop making a model to fit honda's caue I dont want to go back to a regular battery. I may just eventually have to relocate my battery to my trunk instead and use a full size optima if they dont come out with a new one for hondas and mine dies again.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I think someone here is already using an Optima red top. It's slightly bigger and most likely need a new battery tie-down bracket to fit correctly. I guess good excuse for a billet aluminum bracket.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JTso
I think someone here is already using an Optima red top. It's slightly bigger and most likely need a new battery tie-down bracket to fit correctly. I guess good excuse for a billet aluminum bracket.
no one is using one yet. the one posted was put in an accord which has a similar engine bay.

that battery is not slightly bigger either it is almost 2 inches bigger front to back with is where the problem is.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

no one is using one yet. the one posted was put in an accord which has a similar engine bay.

that battery is not slightly bigger either it is almost 2 inches bigger front to back with is where the problem is.
Yeah, you're right. I did look up a few red tops and a couple of them come every close in height and length, only slight wider by ~1.0 or so.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The optima redtop will fit in our cars. Do a search for my optima redtop writeup.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alin10123
The optima redtop will fit in our cars. Do a search for my optima redtop writeup.
not well though.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Yellow top 51R size:
8-15/16" H
5-1/5" W
9-5/16" L
500 CCA

Red top 34/78 size:
7-13/16 H (I believe it comes with a top cover)
6-7/8 W
10" L
800 CCA

Optima 34/78
Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
F.I.L.A.

Also, for the purpose of an high power draw audio system, a Red Top wouldn't really serve my purpose, correct? Red Tops are designed for reliable starts, especially in colder climates (thus the increased CCA), correct? Yellow Tops are designed for applications that will drain an ordinary battery relatively quickly and repeatedly, thus putting more strain on the alternator. Yes, yes?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Also, for the purpose of an high power draw audio system, a Red Top wouldn't really serve my purpose, correct? Red Tops are designed for reliable starts, especially in colder climates (thus the increased CCA), correct? Yellow Tops are designed for applications that will drain an ordinary battery relatively quickly and repeatedly, thus putting more strain on the alternator. Yes, yes?
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...utomotive.html

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...eep_cycle.html

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...e/starter.html

According to the info on the site, the Yellow top #35 might be a good replacement. If the YT #35 is the same size as the RT #35, then it's the closest fit.
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/schema_35.asp
Old 04-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAHAHA I love that avatar Jackson
Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a son on the way and I just imagined that image when I've felt him kick
Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 PM
B A N N E D

I've heard from a few reliable sources that Caps aren't very effective at conserving your battery, but I've never used one so I don't speak from personal experience. My sources are car audio gurus though.

I'll inquire in the Audio/Video section as to whether people think Caps do any good... I don't want to rule out a possible solution to quickly
caps really aren't designed to preserve battery power, they are mostly used to keep headlights from dimming during high bass. they may still dim with a cap, just not as much.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:05 PM
F.I.L.A.

Originally Posted by SimpleWhite
I've got a son on the way and I just imagined that image when I've felt him kick
Haha...my lady saw that avatar from a distance the other day. She was wondering why the hell I had somebody's ultrasound as my avatar...funny stuff.

As far as the capacitor goes, here's a good discussion on what they're good for:
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthre...ight=capacitor

I won't be getting one...I may try a Yellow Top size 75/25 or D35 since they're pretty much the same size as the one Alin10123 was able to fit in his TSX.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
not well though.
Dont look at the measurements. Look at my writeup and my pics that i took. The redtop that i mention fits perfect the way i have it in there. Plus it looks JDM.