Newbie to cars and car modding seeking help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to cars and car modding seeking help

Hello all, I joined this forum yesterday and have been lurking for a couple days before to get a sense of the community here and I must say bravo! There are quite a few excellent members aboard here and it shows.

Anyway, I've owned my 5AT 2005 TSX since the end of May '05 and only became interested in modding it about a week ago. The problem is, I've never taken any car apart, and have very little knowledge of cars beyond what the average user has. For example, I've never changed the oil, changed a spare, etc. Never jacked up the car either (don't own a jack).

After looking around a bit, I've decided that the best first mod in terms of price and performance gain seems to be the Injen CAI mod. Even though I've heard many forum members consider this mod "easy," it appears rather difficult to me. I don't even know where to start.

Now, I'm sure some of you would suggest that if I really wanted to mod my car I could pay a shop or dealer to do the modifications for me, however, I'm a DIY person and take pride in doing things myself and doing them right. I'm very adept at taking computers apart, and I was hoping that kind of experience might factor into car modification.

So, any advice for a total newbie on where to start?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zgerrz
Hello all, I joined this forum yesterday and have been lurking for a couple days before to get a sense of the community here and I must say bravo! There are quite a few excellent members aboard here and it shows.

Anyway, I've owned my 5AT 2005 TSX since the end of May '05 and only became interested in modding it about a week ago. The problem is, I've never taken any car apart, and have very little knowledge of cars beyond what the average user has. For example, I've never changed the oil, changed a spare, etc. Never jacked up the car either (don't own a jack).

After looking around a bit, I've decided that the best first mod in terms of price and performance gain seems to be the Injen CAI mod. Even though I've heard many forum members consider this mod "easy," it appears rather difficult to me. I don't even know where to start.

Now, I'm sure some of you would suggest that if I really wanted to mod my car I could pay a shop or dealer to do the modifications for me, however, I'm a DIY person and take pride in doing things myself and doing them right. I'm very adept at taking computers apart, and I was hoping that kind of experience might factor into car modification.

The Injen install really isn't too hard. Everything is held together with clamps or bolts so if you can operate a screwdriver and a wrench, you'll do fine. The best advice I have is to read through the DIY threads on intake install and resonator removal and ask plenty of questions before you get started. Although an experienced person could do the job in an hour, don't get discouraged if it takes you a few hours. Start in the morning and feel free to post here if you need some help with something.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would recommend taking an inventory of the tools you have, as the job would be much easier and more enjoyable with the right tools. I highly recommend a good floor jack with jack stands, a good set of metric socket set (short and long in 6 points if possible) in 1/4", 3/8" drive with long extensions (add the 1/2" drive if you can afford it), a set of metric ratchet gear wrenches, breaker bar, 1/2" drive torque wrench, and misc. screwdrivers and pliers plus a 5mm hex key.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:51 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I too was pretty new to modding when I first put in my CAI (i guess I still am pretty new compared to most). I agree with JTso, the first step is the tools then just take your time reading over the DIY guides. Just set aside a day and take your time and you should be fine.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would invest in the Helms manual. Also, some of the DYI links area dead. When I was accumulating information on doing my mods I just searched, and searched, and searched and read all the posts I could find. Search on Acurazine, search using Google on "Injen TSX".
My
Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Good call on the Helms manual.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by JTso
I would recommend taking an inventory of the tools you have, as the job would be much easier and more enjoyable with the right tools.
ain't that the truth for everything
Old 07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm interested in this helms manual.. Is this like the bible for servicing a particular car? I've looked it up on eBay and around the net and that's what it appears to be to me. I found I could buy a copy off eBay for $1 for models like Accord and S2000, but I found no manuals for TSX there. I saw on www.helminc.com they sell all different types of manuals for the TSX but they are very expensive ($69) for the general manual.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm interested in this helms manual.. Is this like the bible for servicing a particular car? I've looked it up on eBay and around the net and that's what it appears to be to me. I found I could buy a copy off eBay for $1 for models like Accord and S2000, but I found no manuals for TSX there. I saw on www.helminc.com they sell all different types of manuals for the TSX but they are very expensive ($69) for the general manual.

The $69 one is the one you want.

Think about it this way: If doing something yourself w/ the help of the manual saves you from ONE HOUR OF SHOP LABOUR, the manual has paid for itself. Anything after that is gravy!

~Eric
Old 07-26-2005, 08:13 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I did the intake install as my first real mod. Wasn't too hard, just make sure you have plenty of time and go slow
Old 07-26-2005, 10:29 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Where do you live? I would suggest if you can find someone around you that has the expirience bring em a case of beer on a sat or something and have them help. It doesn't take long and lots of us are willing to help. I find that having someone looking over my shoulder that has done it before is TONS of help.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Everyone has some great suggestions.

I look at it this way. You have to start somewhere. You already said you are a DIY type of guy and have done some work on computers. Even though it's not directly related I think it's a plus.
If you are able to follow directions and get the right tools you should be fine. One of the keys is really the preparation and research before you start the install. The great thing about this forum is that no matter what mod you do, many of us have done it already and are willing to help you out. There are ton of great DIY threads here, with full pics...descriptions etc.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Team Owner

Wolfpack's Injen CAI Install

Here is a thread to get you started:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...ighlight=Injen
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
ABP TSX

I have been wrenching on cars since I was 16 mainly because I grew up in an era where people under 20-25 mainly drove beaters. I did not work on cars to mod them; I worked on them so they would get from Point A to Point B. For the most part, times are different now.

I am by far not an expert, but I can do most installations. The suggestion to inventory or acquire some tools is excellent because having the right tools is 50% of the install. I would also 2nd getting a Helm's manual and think of that as 25% of the install. Now search the boards and purchase the parts and you CAN install the mods available for the TSX now.

Good luck and there is a wealth of information on this board.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm new to modding myself. Have never modded a car before this one. The Injen CAI was my 1st major mod and it took me 3 hours. That was with 2 other guys helping and taking our time. I used the DIY instructions I found in the forum. Just printed them out, they were great. The instructions that came with the CAI was so so at best. It's not that hard to do, just takes a little muscle and time. Very enjoyable and got a lot of self satisfaction on doing this myself. Plus car sounds and feels awesome with the CAI Good luck
Old 07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

I think being a DIY person goes a long way. There is a difference between just following instructions as a sequence of actions and following instructions with the understanding of what you're trying to accomplish. DIY type people fall into the latter category.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JTso
I would recommend taking an inventory of the tools you have, as the job would be much easier and more enjoyable with the right tools. I highly recommend a good floor jack with jack stands, a good set of metric socket set (short and long in 6 points if possible) in 1/4", 3/8" drive with long extensions (add the 1/2" drive if you can afford it), a set of metric ratchet gear wrenches, breaker bar, 1/2" drive torque wrench, and misc. screwdrivers and pliers plus a 5mm hex key.
Thanks for the detailed list. Could you give me a short description of those tools because most of them seem foreign to me. I might recognize them if I saw them in person, but I don't know the difference between them by name. If I can't find some of these in my house, would it be cheaper to buy certain sets online or should I just go to an auto shop?

I also ordered the Helms manual. Even at a pricey $69 plus shipping, I figured you guys were right in that it would pay for itself in the one hour of labor I would have to pay if something goes wrong with the car.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure to get a set of mechanic's gloves and a good drop light too.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:10 PM
ABP TSX

Thanks for the detailed list. Could you give me a short description of those tools because most of them seem foreign to me.
You are kidding, right? All of those are very common automotive / hand tools. If you have the money, I would suggest just getting a set of Craftsman tools from Sears.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gsclifton
You are kidding, right? All of those are very common automotive / hand tools. If you have the money, I would suggest just getting a set of Craftsman tools from Sears.

I guess I should have been more clear. I know what standard wrenches and rachets are, but a few other items I do not. I was mainly referring to tools like the breaker bar and the hex key. For the jack, are there different kinds of jacks and how do they differ?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The breaker bar is in the middle. To the left of the WD-40 can.
To the left of that are two different size torque wrenches.

Took the pics from my header install thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=4&pp=25
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is a basic craftsman mechanics toolset for $60. it should have the most basic tools you need. comes with hex keys, and screwdriver w/bits,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00934106000

here is a torque wrench for $60,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

for breaker bar, you can use a long pipe

also get an impact driver,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00947641000

this should be a very good starter set. soon you will move on to air tools , but that's another thread. i've invested over $2000 on tools over the years, it's worth it.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Just print out the list and take it to Sears. Ask the salesperson to show you where they are and you can choose which one works better for you. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Find the tool that fits right in your hands and look for ratchets that turns smoothly. If you have only import cars, you don't need to buy the entire kit that comes with standard sizes, as you most likely will not use them. You don't need to buy them all at once. Just get what you can to start.

If you are tight on the budget, then try http://www.harborfreight.com for some lower cost tools.

If you want some specialized tools, then try http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net (one of my favorite places)
Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Now what about jacks? Are there different kinds, and how exactly do they work? Where would I mount it on my car to raise it?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:27 AM
ABP TSX

I would get a good hydraulic jack AND some jack stands. DO NOT even consider getting under the car with just the jack supporting it up in the air. Check your owners manual for jack points under the car.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:33 AM
vt alumni

Hey I just got my tsx yesterday and I was wondering about debadging. Most cars I know you can just use floss and they come right off. Is that the case with the tsx or will i need to get some adhesive remover?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
send me a link to JDM??

yep... just floss and you are fine. Make sure you have some goo gone for whats left on there after the floss though
Old 07-29-2005, 12:08 PM
vt alumni

thanks thats gonna be done right when I get home from work if happy hour doesnt come into play
Old 07-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Quick question before I order the intake.. Is the 2004 version the same as the 2005 version for the Injen intake? I'm browsing a site that says the part is for a 2004 TSX, so I'm not sure if it's the same as the 2005 since the part is also listed as a clearance sale. I have a 2005 TSX 5AT.