New Pulley Set's Coming Soon from NST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Boost Junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vwong
Something doesn't jive in here.
thats when they became a public company under the name NonStopTuning. Mike has been developing pulleys for years. Nothing to be worried about. I think everyone is looking at this way wrong. We are not trying to put down any other companies products, we are simply trying to provide more of a selection to the community. Whats wrong with that? The only reason why I am so confident in their workmanship and quality compared to other companies out there in the market is I have first hand tested their products on my previous vehicles and have had nothing but remarkable results which usually exceed the competitions standards. Maybe the pulleys will put down the same numbers, maybe they will put down less, all Im doing is being the guinnea pig for all of you out there to see if it would be worthwhile for everyone, thats all. Im trying to benefit the community here, not trying to start an E pissing match between companies. Please feel free to do some research on the company NonStopTuning, you will see that they are highly praised in the Toyota MR2 and Scion community among other manufacturers. I wouldn't be taking my time out to test these products for everyone if I didnt think it would shock some of you guys to see the gains and craftsmanship of NonStopTuning's pulley sets. We will only hafta wait and see what happens, until then its understandable to be a skeptic, but try to stay optimistic, like I said I encourage you guys to go out and do some research on other forums to see first hand experiences and responses to their product. Thanks for all your patience
Old 11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by simplyscion
We are not trying to put down any other companies products, we are simply trying to provide more of a selection to the community. Whats wrong with that? The only reason why I am so confident in their workmanship and quality compared to other companies out there in the market is I have first hand tested their products on my previous vehicles and have had nothing but remarkable results which usually exceed the competitions standards. Maybe the pulleys will put down the same numbers, maybe they will put down less, all Im doing is being the guinnea pig for all of you out there to see if it would be worthwhile for everyone, thats all. Im trying to benefit the community here, not trying to start an E pissing match between companies. Please feel free to do some research on the company NonStopTuning, you will see that they are highly praised in the Toyota MR2 and Scion community among other manufacturers. I wouldn't be taking my time out to test these products for everyone if I didnt think it would shock some of you guys to see the gains and craftsmanship of NonStopTuning's pulley sets. We will only hafta wait and see what happens, until then its understandable to be a skeptic, but try to stay optimistic, like I said I encourage you guys to go out and do some research on other forums to see first hand experiences and responses to their product. Thanks for all your patience
You should have said this from the beginning. We look forward to the results.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by Excelerate
You should have said this from the beginning. We look forward to the results.
I guess it was all the excitement in the air of the product development
I am defintely looking forward to giving you guys some hardcore results. I think everyone will be pleased
Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was just about to place an order for UR pulleys, but with these "new" pulleys coming about..I may just wait and see what differences there are between the two companies. for a new company looking to help us make our tsx's more fun.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Boost Junky

good news fellas, I got me a lovely lil package sitting at my doorstop from the boys over at NonStopTuning today...talk about quick turnaround time
I gotta setup a baseline dyno appointment before I can install these unless everyone gets impatient and just wants me to slap them on lol(j/k). If theres anyone in the Long Island area down to meet up and check out the pullies lemme know. Keep in mind they are pre production pulleys, and the crank pulley will be a lil nicer looking for the under the hood bling that some of you may be looking for. I will upload some pictures for everyone when I get into work later at 3...like I said, anyone in the local area that wants to check out the pullies, feel free to swing by Smithtown Scion or shoot me a pm and I will give you my cell number for directions.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Boost Junky

Bump for my scheduled baseline dyno appointment for tommorow at 12 PM EST. Im gonna try to do everything all in one shot as long as time permits...I gotta be at work by 3 and my appointment is at 12 so basically I gotta strap it on the minute I get there, do 3 pulls, swap the pulleys and do 3 more pulls in 2 1/2 hours(wheres that guy that can do the pulley swap in 15 minutes lol). I think its possible but if for any reason I cant get the pulleys on and dyno pulls in within that time constraint, I will try to reschedule to go back on Tuesday, as I work every other day this week except for tuesday and sunday. Worst case scenario, I will still install the pulleys no later than Sunday, but I wont be able to get you guys dyno charts and numbers until Tuesday.
BTW, the pulleys were shipped out on Monday and I received them this morning, talk about sweet customer service. Thanks Mike!!
If any of you have any questions, feel free to send Mike an instant message on aol @ NSTonAIM. He is a pulley guru and will have an answer for anything that you throw his way. Its good to know that in any event you get jammed up, he is usually online majority of the day available to answer any questions or concerns you may have. The first time you speak with Mike, you will know why Im such a life long supporter of their products, and it is a little bit easier on the soul knowing how educated he is in this field and you can tell that he is in this industry for the love of making cars faster, not making parts to take peoples money faster. Pictures coming shortly....hope you are all as excited as I am
Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pulley change really is non-trivial. I wouldn't expect you can do the change within 3 hours, even with all the tools lined up.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good! Thanks for keeping us updated. I would start a new thread with your dyno results.

I'm all about competition and having as many aftermarket parts available as possible. If a product doesn't meet my expectations I just don't buy it. It's as simple as that. I always wait to pass judgement until I see the numbers.

Good luck with the install and dynos
Old 11-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by Reach
The pulley change really is non-trivial. I wouldn't expect you can do the change within 3 hours, even with all the tools lined up.
You really dont think its possible to do within 3 hours? Are you sure about that man? Ive done pulley swaps on cars before and I dont expect this to be more than about an hour's worth of work for doing it the first time. I will start up a new thread with the before and after dyno's, this will include the hp/tq numbers as well as A/F charts. I will be doing 6 pulls in total, 3 before and 3 after. All dyno pulls will be done on a Dynojet 424X AWD at Pampena Motorsports on Long Island NY. They are the home of the worlds most powerful Mitsubishi 3000GT...here is a little blurb taken off the homepage:
"Ray Pampena owner and chief mechanic of Pampena Motorsports extracts 873.76 all wheel horse power making his 1993 3000GT the most powerful 3000GT in the world."
http://www.pampenamotorsports.com/
Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Well I'm sure you're far more experience than me at this and can do it much quicker than I did, but setting up to pull off the crank pulley alone took me nearly an hour, with help. Then again, I was taking my sweet time of course. If you have an MT (do you?) it will go quicker, as you don't have to position everything just right, and use a crank pulley tool (and a friend) to get it off, you can just have someone put it in gear and brake.

Enjoy getting it off tho, i know i did. I'm a big guy, and it took me 3 tries to get enough muscle on it to torque it off. Oh yeah, and I snapped the first socket I tried to do it with, and had to move to a backup.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Boost Junky

thanks for the tips...hopefully everything will go smoothly. I have an automatic so I guess it will be a lil bit more of a pain in the a$$ but I will deal with it if I gotta. Im gonna snap some pictures in a few minutes, just been real busy since the minute I walked through the door today.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

thanks for the tips...hopefully everything will go smoothly. I have an automatic so I guess it will be a lil bit more of a pain in the a$$ but I will deal with it if I gotta. Im gonna snap some pictures in a few minutes, just been real busy since the minute I walked through the door today.
please time yourself when you do it, I'd like to know how fast a semi-pro can do it to compare to my install time later
Old 11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by xizor
please time yourself when you do it, I'd like to know how fast a semi-pro can do it to compare to my install time later
I wouldnt consider myself anything near a semi pro, but more of just an enthusiast thats all ...
What everyone has been waiting for, some preliminary pictures

Now if you look closely in the first 2 pictures on the crank pulley you can see what looks to be like imperfections or scratches on the outer edge of the pulley. Those hash marks or notches are actually the timing marks on the pulley so no need to worry about that. I figured I would clear that up cause Im sure someone would have pointed that out and thought it may have been a design flaw of some sort...well, enjoy fellas
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Heh, I noticed the notches, and wondered if they were there on purpose.

So, if you underdrive the crank pully and overdrive the alternator, what makes the gains? Just the weight savings? Or also the underdriving of the steering & AC?

Will the NST product need a smaller belt?

I bet it will be a good bang for the buck (just judging by the results from the UR product).
Old 11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
those looks nice
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vidgamer
Heh, I noticed the notches, and wondered if they were there on purpose.

So, if you underdrive the crank pully and overdrive the alternator, what makes the gains? Just the weight savings? Or also the underdriving of the steering & AC?

Will the NST product need a smaller belt?

I bet it will be a good bang for the buck (just judging by the results from the UR product).

Yes sir, the notches are there to help people set their timing correctly down the road if they need to rebuild or change settings. Quality pulleys always have them and cheap EBay junk brands do not.

According to the experts 90% of the gains come from underdrive crank pulleys because they slow the accessories and free up some power that can be sent to the wheels. And then adding some lighter accessory pulleys leads to more weight reduction and throttle response.

NST pulleys do require smaller belts. They have an online belt chart on their website so you can find the correct belt numbers. I had to buy a new belt for my crank pulley, I think it was about $20.

NST FTW
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Racer

I can't wait for the results 8civic, knowing how mike and his work is it is going to be a great product and will give more choices to the tsx community
Old 11-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice. Will a power steering pulley be made as well?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by aaronng
Very nice. Will a power steering pulley be made as well?
that will mostly depend on how big of an interest we gather once I am done with R&D. I was speaking with Mike yesterday and he was saying that he would make just about any type of pulley as long as there is a market for it. NonStopTuning is a great company to work with, and I am real happy that they are stepping it up fo us. This is only the beginning, if we get great results, expect more quality NonStopTuning parts
Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Boost Junky

dyno numbers included

Alright, I just got back from the dyno and did 3 baseline pulls. I wasnt able to do the pulley swap while I was there cause they had a few more appointments this afternoon and I have work today from 3-9 so the pulley install will hafta wait till Sunday. Ok, as stated before, all pulls were performed on a dynojet dyno.
Run conditions: 64 degrees F, 29.82 in-Hg, Humidity 50%...SAE Corrected .97-.98
2 pulls were done in 3rd and 1 pull was done in 2nd gear due to some weird 100mph speed cut.
1st run- 164.07whp 125.85ft/lbs
2nd run-172.64whp 135.72ft/lbs
3rd run- 173.01whp 136.13ft/lbs

Pulleys will be installed on Sunday, and I will be hopefully heading back to the dyno on Tuesday. I do not have a scanner to post up the dyno sheet, but I will try to find someone around here that does have one. I could always fax it to someone if they wanna post it up for me lol.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

simplyscion,

Please get the dyno data itself. If would be great to be able to chart the two sets against each other. JTso here also collects dyno data from all our members for a vast database.

Peak numbers are not nearly as interesting as area gained under the curve. Especially for a mod like this!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Racer

hey i forgot to ask you, are you 6spd or auto, and hmmm if you were down here in houston i could of scanned the dyno sheets for you.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Boost Junky

reach, I have the dyno sheets, I just dont have a scanner. I would be more than happy to fax them to someone for the time being to post up until I find someone to scan them in so I can post them(I would love to share these with JTso's database). These pulls were done with my car which is a 5AT with a little over 1,000 miles on it. All 3 pulls were done on a completely bone stock car with 0 power modifications done to it and all 3 pulls were done with a full tank of gas as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Boost Junky

hey guys, I tried looking around that dyno thread but it seems most people have mods when they have dyno'd and nobody really did a baseline. Do you guys know what most base auto's are putting down on dynojets? It looks like my numbers are ever so slightly higher than average from what I am seeing
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

reach, I have the dyno sheets, I just dont have a scanner. I would be more than happy to fax them to someone for the time being to post up until I find someone to scan them in so I can post them(I would love to share these with JTso's database). These pulls were done with my car which is a 5AT with a little over 1,000 miles on it. All 3 pulls were done on a completely bone stock car with 0 power modifications done to it and all 3 pulls were done with a full tank of gas as well.
What you really need is the data file which has the raw data of what HP / Tq vs. rpm. This way you can chart it against your next dyno in excel and get some actual delta results, rather than just looking at 2 pieces of paper.

If you didn't get this, call you the shop right now and ask them to email it to you! The dyno programs that I've seen save this information off automatically, but they don't give it to you unless you ask.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Some other 2006 baselines (my 5AT w/ CAI, and a mod's 6MT, stock, also TOV's stock 5AT baseline):
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28814

Also, jpt's baseline (no mods) on a 2006 6MT:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=162
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Got Phó?

Hmmmm, i wanna see how these pulleys gonna do.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
Hmmmm, i wanna see how these pulleys gonna do.
me too
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If it's a dyno jet, try to get the actual dyno files.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by JTso
If it's a dyno jet, try to get the actual dyno files.
I will call the shop tommorow and see what I can do. Hopefully they can just email it to me and then I wouldnt even hafta worry about scanning it into the computer.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Racer

i can give u my phone number and you can fax it to me too if you want to do it that way, pm me to do so
Old 11-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Racer

here is the dyno graph sorry didnt get time to resize but some1 can do it for me....

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

OK, it looks like your true peak horse is somewhere right around 165 and torque around 128. The blip at the end is the torque converter unlocking at the high rev range. You'll see the same artifact on my dyno and the TOV baseline, as well as Hondata's. Your true peak number on an AT dyno is the point right before it dives into the loop.

edit: you really gotta try to get the data man, this is what would be great to plot!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

It looks like max 165 hp and 128 tq. Keep in mind you can't really count the last funny blip at the end as it's erroneous data.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Boost Junky

regardless the numbers are irrelevant...it could be 25whp and 20ft/lbs, all its going to be used as is a baseline for when I re dyno with the pulleys. But I will agree with you guys, 165whp and 128ft/lbs. So how hard was it to install the pulleys on an automatic? I know Im gonna hafta take the alternator out, but luckily I only hafta put on 2 pulleys and not 3 for now
Old 11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Since you have an AT, you're going to need a crank pulley tool. It looks like this:

(http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=27115)

For a full install guide, I recommend you read through JTso's install guide for the UR pulley set, which is an excellent reference:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30694

re: 2 vs 3 pulleys, I gotta say only the power steering pulley was easy
The crank and alternator are quite the bitches to install! I hope you also have a rubber strap tool and a high pressure impact wrench.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

You probably won't need the crank tool if you have a high power impact gun and a high capacity compressor.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Boost Junky

I dont have a crank pulley tool in my own personal toolbox but Im sure my dad has something or will make something to use and everything else I have...Im gonna hafta use that install guide as a reference, but most pulley installs are generally similar. I have a feeling its gonna be a fun lil sunday with some knuckle scraping going on lol.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Boost Junky

alright, got a lil bad news, had to help my father with some unexpected work arouind the house so I was not able to tackle the install today. It will definitely get done one day this week and the follow up dyno will be done as well before the week is over. I want to be able to do some driving with the pulley actually on the car before strap her on the rollers so Im thinking maybe dyno it on Thursday this time
Old 11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

any update?

Quick Reply: New Pulley Set's Coming Soon from NST!!!